Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #1  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Weighty Issues #55: FALL ROLL CALL

to theSeptember Weighty Issues Thread. The summer days are behind us and the autumn leaves are getting ready to fall. Let's make like a tree and leave the weight behind

Hey newbies out there, need some new inspiration? We're a group of wonderful women from different walks of life, spread out from the East Coast to the West Coast and the sunny Pacific .

We support each other through the highs and lows of every day life--it's not just about weight loss , it's about LIFE . If you have something to say or need a shoulder to cry on , come on in,
grab a chair and stay awhile . You'll be glad you did.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

Look who's back from oblivion! C'est moi! I've missed you guys and thought I'd better head back here and stir things up. Notice how I made a reference to "fall" in the thread title? Well, I fell off the wagon pretty hard and have been busy with life and feeling sorry for myself and blah blah blah.... but I'm back and trying to make another go at it, all we can do is try right? Hope to see some posts tomorrow.

I've been doing some pretty deep cleaning around the house and rearranging the furniture, painting, just generally trying to give my house a new look, and while it's been fun, it's hard work and stressful. I'll be happy when I've finally got everything back in it's place. So how have you gals been? Do tell! Gotta run for now, got some laundry going on. Chat later for sure!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #3  

Hi Noelle: So good to see you back. I've been busy this week and haven't been able to check anything online until now. Ashley was sick earlier this week; we had progress reports this week; I'm starting a class to work on an ESL endorsement for my teaching certificate...I'm tired. By the way, I won't be able to come out in Oct. Ashley decided that she wanted to stay at her old school, and they don't have a fall break. I don't want to take her out of school, so we're looking at a later date. I thought of spring break, but that's pretty close to our summer trip to Europe. I'll be sure to keep you posted. When you're done, be sure to post a few pics of the "new" house.
Take care.

Cal
calnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! Glad to see you back Noelle! I think we all missed you! We've been pretty busy here the last few months. We decided to put the house up for sale and also the 5th wheel. Once the house is sold we plan to move to MO. where my family is. We've had a lot of people look at both the house and the 5th wheel but no offers as of yet. We do have people interested in the house -- one from Tucson, Arizona and one from San Diego. I let them both know that if something hasn't happened in the next few days that we were going to have to list it with a realtor and then we would have to raise the price to cover their commission. The people in San Diego are trying to decide between our house and one other and said they would let us kow something in a few days. If I haven't heard from them by Monday I will call them.
Still losing weight but it is slow! Of course it would probably be better if I could get back in to the execise routine again! Working on that!
Cal-- sounds like you are keeping pretty busy too. I hope we can get this up and going again. I missed you all!
I'll check back later.
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #5  
so close, yet so far...

Aloha gals, it's Monday morning. Sorry I've been slacking again in the posting dept., I pop in to the general chatter thread to play word games and such but haven't been good about coming here, but glad to see you guys again too

Anywho, I had a busy weekend. I had some girlfriends over for dinner and we had a blast as usual. Then on Sunday we took Michael over to Dave & Buster's for a few games then went to see the movie Mr. Bean's Holiday which was hilarious.

Karen, your new avatar looks great and you're keeping that weigh off wonderfully so don't worry if it's not coming off as quickly because keeping it off is half the battle! I'm praying that your house and 5th wheel get sold so you can move soon, it definitely is hard to wait and anticipate... you may have said already but do you guys have a place waiting in MO?

Cal, sorry to hear that you'll not be able to make it out next month, but that's OK. Just remember to let me know when you do because I will show you around. Hope Ashley is feeling loads better. I am so envious of you getting to travel to Europe AGAIN . Is ESL English as a 2nd Language? If it is, that's what my mom taught for many years, until the No Child Left Behind act came along... she finally retired.

My parents are on their Alaskan cruise right now so I get to pretend the house is mine It's weird to have the house so quiet with no one upstairs. I'm trying to schedule a meeting w/the caterers for the 50th wedding anniversary party so I can lock in the 07 rates before they increase...I'm hoping it won't be too much of a hassle to agree on things with some of my sisters. That's all that's been going w/me these days. How's all you guyses doing?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Hey, ladies, I'm baaaack! Did you have a nice summer? (I know, it's not quite over yet--but we've been having weather in the 60's the last few days, which sure makes it feel like it!)

I haven't been as good as I could be--but I haven't been as bad as I could've been, either! I have to readjust my weight to 200. I've been teetering between (among?) 199-201. I'm generally pretty good about the kinds of stuff I eat. But I DO have to start seriously reminding myself that lowering my portion size by 1/4 to 1/3 would probably make for quicker results! Also, I'm going to forget trying for an 'interim' weight goal of 187.
I have NOT been paying any attention to it. I'm going to change my psychological strategy on myself by lowering it to 165--the weight I was when we got married 19 years ago next month. This way, I still have more of a 'distance' to go when I look at my ticker. Psychologically, I'l feel less complacent when I see my marker is still so far to the left; I think that'll help spur me on for now.

THE BIGGEST LOSER started again! Even if I don't push myself as hard as the contestants there have to, any exercise at ALL is bound to be a big improvement over my laxity of this summer! It's no mystery why my weight hasn't been going down, is it?!

GET ON THAT STATIONARY BIKE!!! That's what I have to do!

Thanks for posting the link, mele! Time to get back into the fray!

Let's GO, ladies! This means ALL of us!!

Welcome back, all! Love,

--Virgo
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #7  
No Limit Souljah!!

Hello Ladies,

Things have not been going well for me and my family. My Aunt (mom's sister) died suddenly and my parents are now raising her children. Meanwhile the rest of the family is fighting for their piece of the insurance money. The sad thing is the money wouldn't cover the cost of living for 6 months for the children (there are 3 of them) and nobody is asking them how they are, they just care about the papers. This kind of thing really brings out the worst in people.

I'm trying to be supportive of my mom because she is really stressin, but I can only be so available with school and work and all.

Anyway, i won't be available for a few weeks but i'm always thinking of you guys and I love you all.

Take care.
Dips'n'twists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #8  

Dips: I'm so sorry about your aunt. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to you and your family. God bless you all.

Cal
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #9  

Hello Everyone. I'm sure everyone must be busy. I know I am!!
We're coming down to the last 2 weeks of school before fall break. I'm sooooo ready for a break.

Noelle: I'm sorry to hear about Molly. It's hard to lose any member of your family. How did your parents enjoy their cruise? Did they go all the way up to Denali with the train? ESL is English as a Second Language. Your mom is lucky; I wish I could retire. It's amazing the amount of red tape and mandates we have to deal with...and no funding!! I love being in the classroom and the kids, but I really hate the politics.

Virgo: You are doing so well. I wish I was doing as well. Do you watch The Biggest Loser? We have a small version of that going on at school. We weigh in every week with the nurse. We compete with situps, pushups, and walking/jogging/running (whatever people want to try). We also each have a buddy we can talk to and use for motivation. We started it at the end of the last school year, and continued it this year. I really like it. I'm down 9 lbs since school started.

Angie, Dips, Karen, Anyone I missed: Hope everyone is doing well.

Cal

Last edited by calnative; 09-23-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #10  
so close, yet so far...

Good morning ladies, sorry to be so lax in posting but things have been so up and down here. Thanks for your kind words about Molly, it was really difficult to lose her. We had to put her down last Wednesday. Then the very next day my sister calls to say her dog Max (german shepard/bull terrier mix) was at the vets, not feeling well. Turns out he developed a problem with his heart and had to be put to sleep on Saturday. He was 10 years old . Our family has lost so many pets this year. **I don't think I told you guys but we lost Lena back in July after her surgery. She was doing well recuperating after surgery, but Chloe attacked her a second time. It was a split second thing and I will always blame myself for that one, but we had to put Lena to sleep and I had to take Chloe to the pound.

Dips, I am so sorry to hear about your aunt and the kids she left behind. I am sorry to be offering my condolences so late here too. I hope your family is coping well with all the changes. We here for you if you need us.

Cal, Michael's school will be on their fall break next week already. P/T conferences begin on Wednesday this week. I am very interested in what his teacher has to say about his behaviour/progress this year. How is Ashely doing? That is wonderful you have a group at school to help you with your weight loss efforts. Congrats on your 9 lbs lost! That is great!

My parents really enjoyed their AK cruise and I was helping them with their pictures. I don't know if they took the train ride you did, I will have to ask them. The scenery is just so beautiful there, I told Rick I want to do a cruise for our anniversary one year, I think we can eschew Vegas for once and broaden our horizons to AK

Hey Virgo, bravo on keeping the weight off. I don't do too well with that part...I mean, it's relatively easy to lose the weight, I just can't keep it off! How are things in Chi-town?

Karen, did you guys find a buyer yet? Please pet Sissy and Ginger for me

Hi to Kempy, Angie and everyone else.... gotta run for now. Take care and have a great day.

ps. I just got word that 2 of my sisters want to join WW--this may be the perfect time for me to jump back in the fray.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #11  
so close, yet so far...

Hello out there.

Well, I did something good for me. I signed up for WW again on Monday evening. I went with my sister (who ironically is already in her "accepted weight range" according to WW guidelines ). I am on day 3 and doing alright. I want to be down at least 10-15 lbs by Christmas. I think it is totally doable. I would say 20 but I don't want to set myself up to fail.

Anywho, how are YOU ladies doing?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:51 AM   #12  

Default Happy Autumnal Equinox, Ladies!

Thanks for starting us up again with September, Mele! I can't believe it's already going to be October on Monday! Six months ago I joined here, and in three, lost 13 pounds. Three months ago was my 40th reunion (jeez, I can't believe it, it only seems like one or maybe two)! Meanwhile, I'm seesawing between 200-202, although I'd gotten down to 198.

Ahem! I've got to start exercising again. My thanks to both calnative and melekalikimaka for the nice compliments, but I really don't feel I deserve them. All I can say for myself is I could've been doing worse, but haven't. Mainly I'm ticked because I DON'T EXERCISE, DAMMIT!!! It's so much more enjoyable to sit at the computer and go to YouTube. (I love music in many styles, so I'm going nuts finding old songs I haven't heard in years.) My stationary bike is right behind me--but I haven't parked my butt on it in months. Not just weeks, but MONTHS. I'm ashamed, yet apathetic, all at once. I have to look for a job. AAAAAAAUGH!!!!!

Karen31 (sorry to be using the more 'formal' forms of our 'nom de plume's, but I like them, & just felt like using them today)--hope things are going well with your house; may you find the perfect buyer! Ditto with the "5th wheel"--what is that, by the way? I've heard someone else use that phrase recently, but I wasn't in close enough proximity to ask them to explain it. So I will ask you, if you don't mind. I realize it must be something like a camper to pull behind one's car, or something similar. Does it literally have five wheels? Pardon my ignorance, but I'd never seen/heard the expression before I saw your posts on it. There used to be a wonderful restaurant on Chicago's FAR South side (Western Avenue, past 115th Street) I used to go to with my dear friend 15-20 years ago, but it hasn't been in business for some time, called "The Fifth Wheel". Had a gigantic wagon wheel for its logo, so I know it had nothing to do with the item you're trying to sell! Anyway, I do hope you're able to sell it and your current house, so you can find your new home in Missouri! By the way, I am impressed by the fact you're still losing weight. Slow and steady wins the race, my friend--and it looks like you're doing that. Just keep at it!

calnative, I wish I had a group closer at hand to help me keep more motivated to lose weight. You're lucky you've got that 'Biggest Loser' thing going at work--sounds like it's really helping! I didn't even watch the program this last Tuesday. I haven't even been entering my eating in FitDay. You know what? Thanks to writing this to you, I WILL. That WILL help me get motivated. Thank you! In the meantime, you keep working on it, too!

Melekalikimaka--thanks to your 'handle' I will always know how to spell "Merry Christmas" in Hawaiian! I'm so glad you always post the link for us. I'm very sorry to hear about all the pets you and your family have lost recently. What a major bummer. We just have our little cat, a rescue kitty we adopted a couple years ago. She's kind of neurotic because of her unfortunate experiences, but she trusts us, and that's the part that counts. Still, when the doorbell rings, she growls, yes, actually growls! She doesn't like visitors. At least she'll leave them alone as long as they leave her alone! My husband was the one who'd wanted her--so of course I became her favorite! She's a lap-junkie, and loves to be cuddled. Once she understood we were good humans, she became very loving to us. But she still has to realize visitors aren't going to take her away--or take us away. Her last owner was an older woman who got sick, went into a nursing home, and never came back. So she was on her own from 6 to 8 weeks. (Fortunately, that was a couple years ago, so she's comfortably at home with us now.) It's got to be painful, mourning your losses. Take your time, find some emotional equilibrium; after that, you'll know when you're ready to find the right new animal companion(s). Good luck, my dear. Ditto with your health regimen, too. Good for you, joining WW!--especially since now you have company. Keep us posted!

Dips'n'twists, you already know how sorry I am for your family's loss. Please know we are all praying for you, and for your family, too. Stay in touch, if only to remind yourself we're here to offer our support. Every little bit helps. Cry hard and stay brave.

Kempyd, Angie, cwneeds2lose--let us hear from you!

EVERYBODY EAT RIGHT & EXERCISE NOW, SO THE HOLIDAYS WON'T BE SO BAD, WEIGHT-WISE!!

Love to all,

--Virgo
Old 09-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Ladies,
Well, I thought I would just sit down and take some time to post this afternoon.

Noelle, so sorry to hear about Lena. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. You tried to give Chloe a good home and maybe she just would never get along with others the way that she should. We were supposed to have people come today to look at the house from Arizona but her sister was having chest pains and they put her in the hospital to check her out. I just got an email from her and she said her sister is doing better but they are going to keep her in the hospital until Monday. We don't have a house back in MO. yet but we can stay at my Dad's while we are looking. I've been looking at the real estate back there on the internet and have a few that I would like to see when this one sells. Congrats on signing up for WW again. I'm still working around with the slimfast and counting calories. Who knows though I may go back to counting points to mix things up a bit once in awhile. Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. I thought I needed to change it for awhile anyway. I'm sending your way and I know you will be able to lose those 15 pounds by Christmas and who knows you may just do the 20 too!!!

Virgo, I went ahead and put a picture in of our 5th wheel RV. The reason they are called a 5th wheel is because the front of it sits in the bed of the truck. In the picture you can see that there are 2 slideouts on this side and then on the other side there is 1. So it really is like having a 1 bedroom apartment with you when you travel. We had some people stop just a little while ago and look at it but still no bites. I'm like you I just need to get back in to a exercise routine again. I had my hubby take the cover off the treadmill this morning and clean out all the dust and dirt and just give it a "little makeover" so guess I need to get started on that again.

Dips, sure hope things are starting to return to normal for you. Let us hear from you when you get a minute.

Angie, Kempy, Cal, cw, A big to you and I hope all is going well for you.

Everybody take care and I'll get back later.

Last edited by Karen31; 03-17-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #14  

Karen, thanks for the explanation & picture--looks like it would be fun to travel in it, but in this day of high gas prices, not worth it if you aren't independently wealthy, alas. Sorry you have to say goodbye to not only your home, but your home-on-wheels. Still, Missouri is where your Dad is, so at least you'll be closer to family. Good luck with everything. By the way, your new picture/avatar is a nice one, you look good. Keep up the good work!

Mele, (speaking of avatars), is that "fat cat" a picture of your own kitty? Our cat Millie is also white & gray, with a triangular face like the one in your pic, but her body fur is more gray, so the white stands out as markings. She's only 8 pounds, but feels heavier when she stands on me! Good luck with your WW program--I know you'll make progress & get down your poundage by the holidays!

cal, I haven't talked to my sister lately (she stays late at school a lot, as a new teacher 'learning the ropes'), but this year she's got the gifted students, which she was really looking forward to. I'll have to see how that's going for her. Hope your own school year is progressing nicely. How's your school's "Biggest Loser" program going? Let us know your progress!

Everybody, I just subscribed to the September Exercise Challenge thread in the Chicks up for a Challenge forum, since I need something to kick my butt to exercise. You all are my 'gal pals' here--I'll be using that thread just to post what I exercise every day. Should we start something like that here?

Tell me what you think! 'Let's Get Back To Sexy' is a great concept--so let's do it!! Mele, give us our new link to October! Take us away!!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #15  
so close, yet so far...

New October thread ready to go!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...20#post1877020