Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #1  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Obsessed, much?

Okay, so I confess that I have always has an obsessive/addictive personality. I focus on something, and it pretty much takes over my life. Now, usually it's bad things or future worries that I can't control (I was obsessed with Avian Flu for awhile...sheesh). Okay, but NOW..it's weight loss. Just like it was last time I lost 70lbs. I can think of little else other than weight loss. I eat something, and then I spend the rest of the day thinking about my next meal, and the next meal. I exercise first thing in the morning, and I think about my evening workout. If I slip up, I obsess over it. If I don't weigh what I want, I freak out. I'm not kidding; I seriously think of little else besides weight loss.
Honestly, is anyone else like this? I don't want to be like this, my weight is running my entire life! Also, because my obsessions are often replaced by OTHER obsessions, I'm afraid that I'll lose this one (again) and gain all my weight back. Like now...okay, I should be doing homework, but I have 2 windows open on my computer...this one and my calorie tracker, trying to figure out how to make today's menu PERFECT so that I can weigh what I want to weigh on Monday.
Gosh, it's stressful! I weigh myself daily, and I KNOW a lot of people are going to think I shouldn't do that, but I have to in order to stay on track. I still weigh what I did on Monday, and it's freaking me out.
I don't know if I'm looking for advice. I guess I just feel kind of overwhelmed.
Oh...and I'm on anxiety meds. LOL.

/rant

Last edited by Cassie501107; 09-13-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: misspelling
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I'm SO obsessed, so I know exactly where you are. In fact, I've lately been making a concerted effort to be a little less obsessed, as I have the same worry that I will replace this obsession with another obsession and re-gain everything and more. I have been actively trying to push the weight thing back and focus on other things, but I struggle so much with balance. So, I don't have any answers. I just wanted to commiserate. Got any spare anxiety meds?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #3  
that girl

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3

OMG, I totally know how you feel!! But whenever I try not to obsess, it turns into eating something that will not only be awful for me, but make me feel awful later, ie a texas hot burrito. It is hard to find the fine line between discipline and obsessiveness sometimes, at least for me! I try to remind myself that if I know what I need to do, if I just do it I will get the results I want (they may not come as quickly as I like) Dieting/losing weight/changing one's lifestyle is HARD, but it's great when your hard work pays off! Keep on truckin, but remember to enjoy life as well.
Lisa0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
I'm SO obsessed, so I know exactly where you are. In fact, I've lately been making a concerted effort to be a little less obsessed, as I have the same worry that I will replace this obsession with another obsession and re-gain everything and more. I have been actively trying to push the weight thing back and focus on other things, but I struggle so much with balance. So, I don't have any answers. I just wanted to commiserate. Got any spare anxiety meds?
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one...but sorry that you're feeling the same way. It's kinda scary, lol.
Obviously these anxiety meds are working in this area.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #5  
Red Team Member

Lisa, same here! As soon as I make myself stop obsessing, I automatically give myself permission to stuff my face with all kinds of junk. There's no balance for me. *sigh*
Old 09-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 11''

Oh yes, I know the feeling all to well..... I do this with everything.
Scrapbooking.... I have everything under the sun for this.... I've made probably 10 pages in 5 years.
Stain glass..... Again I bought all I could find made a few things and now its in a big rubbermaid container and hasnt been touched in eons.
Right now its dieting. I think about it all day. Did I go over my points, did I not get enough points. Recalculate things again and again.
I'm an ALL or NOTHING gal. It drives me crazy and its expensive! lol
Ericah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

can i make a suggestion?

i would say that certain things have to be done. you have to plan your meals, you have to do your exercising..etc etc
you dont have to think about it all the time. set aside certain times of the day/week for planning and being obsessive and doing what you need to do to feel in control. and let it go when that time is over. make that schedule and stick to it.

i think its far too easy to turn this into a disordered eating pattern. get control now before its a huge problem that you cant fix.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

I tend to obsess as well. It's gotten a little better now that I've been doing this for a year and I'm pretty much in a routine. At first I did the same thing - as soon as one meal was over I was thinking about the next. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once you get into the routine you will find the balance. Balance has always been hard for me, but I'm getting there.
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

In the beginning I was completely obsessed with the scale. I had to break myself of the habit of daily weighing by putting a pack of post-its and a pen in the bathroom, and every time I thought about getting on the scale I wrote myself a note reminding myself why I was staying off the scale and stuck it to the scale. The thing was covered by the time my month was up!

I'm back to daily weighing, but at this point I am chill enough not to let the fluctuations bother me. I can't really say why, though; I guess I haven't lost in so long that my expectations are low.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/284/180

Height: 5'9"

I don't really obsess over things. I do think about food alot, trying to figure out when I can eat, and what to eat to stay in my limits and what not. It is hard to get started, but when I get into the hang of things I'm okay.
puboochu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #11  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I also obsess about stuff and constantly worry and create little (i call them scenarios) like what would I do if my car went out of control and I crashed off a bridge. CRAZY stuff that normal people dont worry about. alot of anxiety issues. I took paxil and my Dr had to adjust it a few times before we got to the right dosage for me. Especially if you have alot of weight to lose. The amount of anxiety meds that a 150 women could take may not work for you.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #12  
Red Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek6 View Post
I also obsess about stuff and constantly worry and create little (i call them scenarios) like what would I do if my car went out of control and I crashed off a bridge. CRAZY stuff that normal people dont worry about. alot of anxiety issues. I took paxil and my Dr had to adjust it a few times before we got to the right dosage for me. Especially if you have alot of weight to lose. The amount of anxiety meds that a 150 women could take may not work for you.
That's me! I am the same way. I think I need my dosage adjusted, but I HATE going to the doc.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #13  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I know I hate going too. But I would rather suck it up and go than live with this. Especially when a little adjustment of the meds could take alot of it off your shoulders.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote