General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #1  

Default Why, oh why, won't she just shut her mouth?

This is going to be a totally OT rant (and maybe even a little bit of a whine).

My DH works at Riceland Foods, Inc. as a maintanance man. He has worked there approx. 10 years and during regular season (not overtime/harvest) makes just under $13/hour. He comes home hot, stinky and wringing with sweat almost everyday because the job he does is HARD.

My co-worker's husband is VP of a local bank, serves on the National Soybean Association Board and Riceland Board. My co-worker is CONSTANTLY talking about the trips that Riceland is paying for her husband (and her) to go on. I mean, like trips to Las Vegas, where they also pay for board members and spouses to eat $300/plate meals, go on tours (city and Hoover Dam), etc.

She KNOWS this bothers me, because I've let her know, politely at first and then NOT so politely, but she CONTINUES to run her mouth. This year the Riceland Board members (and spouses) are getting a full-expense-paid trip to Chicago. The trip is in December and she's ALREADY talking about it non-stop.

My husband has not even gotten a Christmas bonus in the past 3 years because the company is supposedly "short on funds."

I really don't know what I was looking for in typing all this out, I guess I just needed to release some pent-up frustration.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #2  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

HOW FRUSTERATING!!!!! I guess personally I would tell someone higher up about this blatent spending and how it isnt right.....but I think it probably wouldnt do much good....if this is a "Board" type company, go to a board meeting....Bring it up, I WOULD DO THAT!!!!!!

And while your there mention how hard your DH works with very little appreciation!!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

On the other hand... if you did what StillTryin suggested, it might backfire really badly... Is there any way you can learn to let it roll off? The woman must be feeling like she's a complete loser if she has to brag in front of others like that.

If you've told her it bothers you and she continues, I don't know what else you can do except ignore her or change the subject or leave the room or get on the phone when she starts to talk.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Every time she started, I would say loudly "no wonder my husband hasn't gotten a bonus in 3 years." Or "I don't know how you live with yourself, taking a free vacation on the backs of people that are working their butts off for the company."
or how about

"The company might be able to justify trips for their executives, but for their wives? You might not want to spread that around, someone could accuse the board members of misappropriating funds and someone could go to jail."

I'm lucky (and sometimes not so lucky) to be rather quick-witted so I don't put up with crap like that without saying stuff back. Usually I do it with a big generous smile on my face and an "only helping" attitude. It drives idiots crazy, because they don't know how to get mad at someone "being nice"
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
On the other hand... if you did what StillTryin suggested, it might backfire really badly...
Really, that's why I've never spoken up (I mean called Stuttgart and complained). They could easily retaliate against my DH (I know that sounds paranoid, but I've seen things like that done before).

Thank you both for your responses. I don't feel like such a now. I really did just need to blow off some steam!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #6  

Oh, Colleen, I love you.

I am NOT a quick responder when it comes to stuff like that. My anger drives any kind of response right out of my head.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #7  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

"Oh, I am so sorry you have to go to Chicago. What a bother. Well at least it isn't Detroit."
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

LMAO Colleen! I like that response!

4myself, I would want to knock her *** out and call her a four letter word that starts with a C and ends with a T. I HATE people like that; those who think they are somehow "better" than you or that their s/o is better than yours and therefore feel the need to rub it in, whether it's out of insecurity or just genuine pride.

Your husband is a good, hard working man. Her's probably doesn't do jack squat. A large percentage of what people do in executive positions is sit pretty in an expensive suit and look busy. Some people do legitimately work hard to get in such positions, though I've seen so many cases where it isn't even a question of hard work... just connections. Ok, I'll end my rant now before I get REALLY mad... I tend to go off on corporate America and our many flaws (well, what *I* perceive to be flaws) as a society far too often
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #9  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I am more like Colleen also, I mean I would be obnoxiously clear on the subject that it isnt right that my DH has to work his rear off while they are going on free vacations!!! It just isnt right!!!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #10  

While it's annoying that she brings it up - it's even more annoying that thins are so inequitable in the workplace these days!! My husband works at an animation studio and the amount of bonuses and stuff the executives get for their cushy jobs is nothing short of scandalous...

Your situation is more or less a microcosm of how it's been trending the last few years, rich getting richer and working class getting stiffed....just IMO.....sucks!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #11  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

That would annoy me, too!!! I have a coworker that is kind of like that. Constantly talking about how her H gets raises and owns a BMW and will probably buy a house in December, and oh, her $15k Tiffany engagement ring (which he had to sell stocks in order to buy, and will have to borrow against their 401k's to buy a house!!)

I just try not to give her a reaction. Obviously my e-ring and wedding band cost a lot less than $15k, and obviously I do not drive a BMW or own a house. I just kind of smile and politely change the subject. Maybe she is doing it because she knows it bothers you? Some people are just rotten like that.
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, while I like the comeback, I don't like people ripping on Chicago! (Just kidding...although you could just as easily say "Too bad it isn't California!" or something). Also, I like the idea of saying that you'd considered going on some trips with your husband too, but decided it just wouldn't be fun to travel if your husband were stuck in meetings all the time.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I've had this experience a lot in my professional life. (Which is short, considering I'm only 26). I've found that a lot of the wives that do this sort of thing are probably actually jealous because you have a real man. I have a friend like the one you described. My hubby is a professional in his field, but it is not a high paying field and requires a lot of manual labor. Her hubby is an executive due to his family connections - not his intelligence or ability. She is constantly bragging about the corporate vacays and perks. Truth is, they've gone into debt living their executive lifestyle and aren't very happy. Just remember that one weekend of happiness does not make the whole year happy. Chances are they lead much less fulfilling lives than you and your hubby.

Not that you should feel sorry for her or anything. I think it sort of validates the idea that their husband is a good "provider", which is what equates to "manliness" in some people's minds. Just remember that when she's going to town about her recent "company-dime" experiences that it's probably because she and her hubby had a huge fight the night before. It doesn't make it go away, but it might keep you laughing inside while she's bragging!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 09-13-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #14  

Quote:
Also, I like the idea of saying that you'd considered going on some trips with your husband too, but decided it just wouldn't be fun to travel if your husband were stuck in meetings all the time.
I actually tried that tactic. She responded by saying "Oh well, that's OK, I usually just go to the spa in the hotel while he's working."

Old 09-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

UGH - people like that make me SICK. My husband is a welder, comes home smellling like sheet metal, sweaty, working in a 100 degree shop and makes jacksh_t - there are many snobby "executives" in our town who wouldn't talk to us if their butt was on fire and we had a hose. I don't have any suggestions for you but COLLEEN is right on - I wouldn't have ANY problem saying some of those things - the woman deserves that and more -
Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote