Old 09-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default Anyone have a WW version of Chile Rellenos?

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. I use Tyler Florence's recipe from the food network but since I'm on WW, I need to find another way...I'd appreciate any recipes...
BOSSMAN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #2  

POINTS® Value: 4
Servings: 6
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
The heat is on with this spicy casserole. To turn it down, skip the chipotle peppers and use another small can of mild diced green chilies instead.

Ingredients
1 sprays cooking spray
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion(s), chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers, drained, chopped
6 3/4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced, drained
3 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup fat-free egg substitute
3/4 cup light sour cream
2 medium plum tomato(es), seeded and chopped
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square pan and a medium skillet with cooking spray.

Place oil in skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in peppers and chilies and cook about 1 minute more. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared pan; sprinkle with cheeses

In a small bowl, whisk together egg substitute and sour cream; pour evenly over cheeses and sprinkle with tomatoes.

Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cut into 6 pieces and serve.

Flavor Booster: Tart-tasting green tomatillo salsa makes a refreshing topping for the casserole. You’ll find tomatillo salsa in ethnic sections of supermarkets and gourmet food stores.
csm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #3  

Thank you csm2000
BOSSMAN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #4  
Coming back

Lightbulb Modify the original recipe

Hi,

I looked Tyler Florence's recipe for chiles rellenos, and I think you can make some variations to it to make it ww friendly:

To fill them, you can substitute the corn for zucchini/mushrooms.

Instead of making the flour-beer batter, you can whip some egg whites to hard peaks, and if you dry COMPLETELY the chiles and the filling is dry enough, the egg whites should cover completely the chiles and won’t fall easily, or try sprinkling the chiles with very little whole wheat flour before covering with the egg whites.

If you charred them well enough and let them sit wrapped in a plastic bas, then a tea cloth, and then in plastic again and let them cool completely, they will be cooked enough so you don’t need to deep fry them to complete the cooking.

Instead of deep frying them, use a very hot non-stick surface with very little oil, and turn them carefully to avoid breaking the egg whites.

To serve them, instead of sour cream, try making some tomato sauce (fry with as little oil as possible some sliced onion, add tomato puree or natural chopped ones, salt, pepper, fry until color changes and add little water to it).

This way I think all the points you might have to calculate are the ones for the oil, egg whites, and whole wheat flour if you used it.

You can also fill them with tuna, refried beans, panela cheese (softens but doesn't melt), minced meat...

Hope this helps...
Alux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #5  
banned

I tried it and liked it. :-)
chinchillables is offline   Reply With Quote