Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and we keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.
So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #2  

Happy Tuesday all!!!

WHOA, LINDA!!!! What a day you had!!! Great job staying op; that could of been a disaster waiting to happen. I hope today is better!!

So today I have my confections class. I have to finish up some chocolates from last week, and then I'm making chai tigers and hazelnut chocolates. I am so thankful that chocolate is not one of my weaknesses!!!

After class I have the meeting with the business counselor. I think I have my head on straight and am pretty prepared. I have a very good start to my business plan, I am just lacking the financial part, but that is what I need help with. I am SO thankful that I took a bakery management class last fall; in the class we had to "build" our own bakery, and do our own complete business plan, so I'm taking a lot of info from there. I have three spreadsheets of complete ingredient costs, costs to set up the kitchen, and costs to set up the store front. I'm also going to the meeting dressed professional, so hopefully I will be taken seriously. I'll let you guys know how it all goes! Wish me luck!

BTW, I tried the new Progresso 0 pt soups yesterday. They were really good, but I'm SO disappointed that they are so high in sodium (thanks to whomever it was that pointed that out.) It's like they have such a good thing, but then the ruin it! Yesterday I ate the soup except for most of the broth. I have two more cans, and I probably won't buy it again, unless they get the sodium down. I don't have high blood pressure, either, but I try to stick to the daily rda for sodium to help with water retention.

Ok, gotta get around for class. Have a great day all, will be back on later!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #3  

Here's my response to a few of your posts over the last few days that I didn't have time to read:

Tech, Boy can I relate to your remarks about not wanting to exercise over the last few days. I just feel like staying in and hibernating. But, that is not a good choice. I'm right with you!
Tech, I loved the new Tim Gunn show as well. I learned a few tips about my own wardrobe as well. Sure wish I had endless time and money to head out shopping. We're all particularly broke right now, all four of us went in for eye exams and needed new glasses and contacts. Whew, not what I planned on spending. It's going to take awhile to pay that off my credit card. Oh well. I've never heard of Fat March, is that like Biggest Loser? It seemed kind of like Biggest Loser was teaching people a little about being prepared for the rest of their lives, but in a "fat camp" setting with specific meals, personal trainers, etc. we would ALL be losing much more than we are, I think. In the real world, this is where we have the hard times. My real world yesterday really was hard. We LOVE Top Gear here and we now get it on the BBC and I am so thankful. It's lots more than a car type of show, we laugh almost all the way through it.
Kim if you have a good low fat/low point zucchini recipe do share it!
Paige, I am glad to read you are "over your little slump". I sure wish I could find the right thing to say to get my daughter over her slump, which I might not call little. All totaled, she regained 8 pounds over the summer. She's tired of it all and feeling hungry and discouraged. She needs to be at meetings and think ahead to the things she wants to look thin for, her senior prom, getting the part of Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady. Her vacationing has "done her in" I think. She seems to be out of control and her body is showing the gain, sadly. I can't nag her, I can't MAKE her to go WW meetings and behave, it must be her choice. I feel like (but won't) shaking her by the shoulders and saying "What are you doing????". But, I wont.
Ann, what are you doing today to MAKE IT WORK? Tell me! Maybe I shall mirror your efforts here in NH. I need to make it work as well.
Kim, yes the planning ahead should have happened here as well, but the day totally threw me. It's the first really busy day I've had like that in ages and I'm not accustomed to it. I have a few things going on today as well and I will have to miss my usual Tuesday 4:30 meeting. I will try to go in before the 9:30 am meeting begins and at least get weighed. I truly want to be at a meeting. This is a stressful week.
I know we have the wedding and family BBQ this coming weekend, but something I didn't share before is that Saturday is also the anniversary of my dad's death. I can't believe it will be 2 years. I am really sad, and I think the special anniversary of 9/11, combined with all the current news isn't doing me any good whatsoever.
Are any of you going to any special commemorative 9/11 events today? I'm going to a ceremony honoring those who died at an area American Legion Post. I think I need this in order to pay my respects. I still am having a hard time dealing with what went on in our country and what is going on in our world right now. I want the world to rewind to pre-9/11. My parents were alive and in better health, all the terror had not happened. I felt so much more safe and secure. I really feel that all of it has made my own personal weigh loss journey a very rocky road, in fact. I am more apt to crave comfort foods and more apt to give in to eating whatever makes me feel good. In fact, after I lost my dad, I even went as far as to spend a few weeks after his death eating all of my dad's favorite foods, it kind of made me feel closer to him?
Well, all, yesterday was truly a BAD day. I'm dealing, though. Today will have to be a better one. I will pay my respects, be thoughtful and be healthy. I live in a world that is totally crazy and I will do the best I can to remain centered and be me through it all.
Hugs,
Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #4  

Paige, we cross posted! What flavor of the new Progresso soups did you try?
I hope all goes well with the business counsellor today. Bring them a few samples of your cooking and win them over - they will then know you are really good at what you do!
Best of luck with it all!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #5  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning ladies. Have a Terrific Tuesday.
Paige, good luck with your meeting today. It sounds liked you have planned and are very prepared. Way to go.
Linda, I read on yahoo news this morning that people are doing things to make 9/11 a more positive day and doing things to help others out in memory of the people who lost their lives. I too was dreading today and when I read the article I thought we could all do things to help make this a better day.

Since you enlightened me the other day and made me realize I could take control of my eating as it is my journey, I have been carrying my week one ww book with me and everything I have eaten is core. I have used two points each day for a bar. I also realized that eating Core is not as difficult as I thought. I will make this work. It is my journey and I have control. I may not be able to control the world or each day, but I can control what I eat and how I exercise. Even though yesterday was a day like I don't wish to have again soon, I still ate on plan with my Week 1 Book. When I felt overwhelmed/stressed, I looked in the book. I felt in control. very weird, but very empowering.
Erica, I hope your day goes well and you have an awesome day interacting with all the people you meet.
Tech, my wish for you today is that you feel great today and that you make wise choices.
Haylo, I wish you a wonderful day and that you get a lot of steps in today and eat well, Oh yeah and drink your water.
Laura, I wish you a stress free day today, while enjoying the day.
Barb, I wish you an awesome weigh in.
Kim, I wish you and your daughter an awesome day.
Kim 2, I hope you have an awesome day and that you get some me time. I know you are always doing stuff for everyone in your house.
Linda, I wish for you to be at peace today. Sometimes we need to cast our cares. I will pray for Jaimie (sp). I hope she can get back on track. I know how much you love her and worry about her and really want what is best for her.
Paige, I wish you success with your meeting.
Erika, I wish you a day that has some me time.
Phyllis, My wish for you is that you have a wonderful day.

Happy thoughts to you all.
I am off for a walk and then I will post more later.
Ann
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #6  

Just wanted to share that I posted yet another thread today, but a different one from our usual supporting each other thing. I welcome any and all of you there as well. Nothing wrong with this thread and I love it and will always be on it, but I need to truly jumpstart myself again, somehow.
Maybe this is what I need, at least for today, to regain my focus?
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122574
Old 09-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #7  
Donna

Hello All,

Well yesterday sounds like it was a crazy day for everyone. I decided to make and can tomato sauce rather than give/trow my tomatoes away (I probably had a 1/2 bushel even after dicing and freezing last weekend) and then buying more all winter. My mom has all the stuff since she used to can so I called and asked her to bring it to the park where we were walking yesterday. They forgot, so after walking I had to run out to their house (they live about an hour away the park is about half way between us), then I had a couple of stops on the way home. So it was after 2 when I got home I ate lunch and started making the sauce. Since I had conflicting directions it probably took longer to cook than it should of. Luckily we had planned leftovers for dinner so I didn't have to cook that. The sauce came out at around 10:00 pm, I sure hope it is worth it!!!! Anyway I did get two miles of walking in for exercise. Didn't get my ride in this weekend though. Tomorrow I'll ride for sure. Today I work and Curves.

Linda - You just sound like you need it. Fat March was similar to biggest looser, but it was a team effort. The goal was for all 12 to make it from Boston to DC. The route they laid out was 575 miles over about 3 months. The 6 people who finished lost amazing amounts of weight (between 40 and 85 lbs), but they were in a controlled environment. Someone else was preparing food and they had to exercise. I'd like to see them in a year to see if they lost/gained/stayed the same. My mom pointed out that what these shows do is show them that they can do it, maybe not as fast but it can be done. Enjoy your memorial (that didn't sound right but you know what I mean).

Erica - What I like for breakfast is: "Fake Egg McMuffin" soy sausage, poached egg and lt. english muffin sandwich. I also make smoothies, or halve then core an apple and fill it with peanut butter, or a lt. english muffin with 2% cheese melted over the top in the toaster oven. Notice most are things I can eat on the go since that's how I often eat breakfast.

Paige - Good luck at the counselors today.

Kim - Yea on your friend noticing your daughter that must have been a huge boost for her.

Barb - Good luck with the trainer. I too have PF and I HATE not going barefoot, particularly around the house. But I'm getting used to it.

Haylo - How's it going?

Phylis - Breath lady, Breath. Getting a house ready to sell is never fun. Hope the foot feels better.

Ann - 12,231 I'm usually happy to get in 6-7 thousand. Have you dusted off that bike yet???

Kim2 - You crack me up. There is a Steve and Barry's somewhere around here, they were talking about it at Curves the other day (I'd never heard of it, not a big shopper). People who work in Dearborn live in Hartland and commute, but you made it sound like a big trip....It just tickled my funny bone. I remember thinking like that when I lived out there.

Well I should get moving, eat breakfast and get ready for work. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech
Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #8  

Ann, thanks for your kind words as well as prayer and wishes for Jamie. I gave her money to go to the WW meeting on her own today, I will be at the 9/11 memorial later on. I'm so committed to doing something and paying my respects that I will go even if I sit with an umbrella the entire time. The families who have lost loved ones will be there and it's so important to show we care about their losses.
So many people from towns around here lost loved ones on 9/11, don't forget the plains all left Boston. One family in this town lost their dad, who was a pilot. I can't imagine what they are thinking today. This memorial is also dedicating a stone with all the names of NH's soldiers lost in the War on Terror. Those families will be there too. I know I'll cry, but I want to be there just the same and show I care.
My daughter was remarking today that she wished she had history classes today so that she could be part of discussions and she was upset that they didn't ask her choral group to sing The Star Spangled Banner as they did last year to mark only the 5 year anniversary, she felt it should be an annual thing. I agree with her.
I think shouldn't be a holiday for people, down the road, where people would end up being disrespectful with BBQs and parties, but I think this should always be a day of remembrance and respect. It was a wake up call for our country. The could be other acts of terrorism (I sure hope not) but I don't think any other day could be like 9/11 was. It woke us all up from our own idealistic little worlds and it made us all so much more worldly.
BUT, to bring this back to the topic at hand. The sadness, the reflection, the memories we all associate with this day are NOT about food. It gives us no excuse to go for the hot fudge or French Fries (weren't they called Freedom Fries after 9/11?). At any rate, perhaps we all should commemorate this day by loving and hugging our loved ones and by doing something to build personal strength in ourselves physically. We remember, we are sad, but we are stronger as a people. We need to make sure we remain strong. Who knows what could happen in the future, if our bodies are in top physical shape, we can handle more.
Did you all hear the story of the woman in her 70s that was found injured in the woods just over the weekend? She had been lost for quite some time and when she was found alive, her family rejoiced. They said she attributed her survival to a healthy lifestyle! Now, that's what I'm talkin about!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #9  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Good Morning all. Not a lot of time to post, but I am committed to checking in every day in order to keep myself focused.

Walked another 4 miles yesterday. It feels really good. Will try for a walk today, but I am so behind in somr of my "jobs" that I am determined to get caught up. Then it is running with the kiddies tonight. Maybe I'll have to do pilates after I get the kids to bed.

Linda - It is soooo very frustrating when outside forces seem to take all your control for your life out of your hands. It does seem to throw everything off kilter. You must feel great about staying op and managing that. I truely believe that having control over our eating is the key. I don't mean control as in will power, but control as in.... we do make choices about what we eat and how we choose our food. You very easily could have gone to McD's but you took control over the situation and made choices that we not only powerful for you, but healthy too!! Congratulations!!!

Ann - You are so sweet. Thank you for my wish and you are right... I am the one who gets attention last from me. That is one of the reasons that I am in this weight situation to begin with. Taking time for exercise is one way that I do take time for myself. This is an ongoing problem for me and one that your wish for me has made me realize that I need to look at again! Congrats to you for getting control of your plan. It is a great feeling isn't it when you can feel powerful over something that often has so much power over you!

Paige - Good luck! I have a feeling you are going to be terrific. You will feel really strong and powerful dressing professionally. I used to work for a company and did job placement work, and it was always amazing to the clients how different they felt going to a job interview dressed professionally, verses when they were dressed nicely but more casual. I will be sending you positive vibes all day!!

Tech - I know that I am rediculous. I can get to either Flint, Ann Arbor, Novi or Lansing in about 40 min. But it is just quicker and easier to run into Brighton or Howell, which takes me about 15 min. With gas prices the way they are, I feel like I have to have a good reason to make the "trip". When I loose enought weight that I am in real need for some new clothes.... I'll make the treck!!

Well, the chores are a calling!! Everyone have a great day. I send big hugs to all of you Today will be a tough day for a lot of people and I have already been in tears watching the memorial stuff on the news this morning. I agree with you Linda, this always needs to be a day of rememberance and grieving for what we lost and the terror that was brought into all of our lives. God Bless You All!!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #10  

Not much time right now, but wanted to say that weight in went well, lost 2.2!
I have .2 left to lose to get down to where I was in June before all my vacations!
I CAN make it work!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #11  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Way to go Linda, that is awesome.
You are going to Make It Work....yeah.
Today is such a diffcult day, I feel like grabbing comfort food. Since I have eaten on plan all day, I think I will go for a run.
Have a great day all.
Ann
Old 09-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #12  

Hello everyone,

ann: hope things are going well, I didn't get to many steps in today b/c I was at a meeting all day long for work (boring) but I am off to the gym to get some sort of excercise in.

derry: congrats on your loss

belly buster: excellent job on the walking again

tech: yummy, the thought of homemade tomatoe sauce makes me want to eat spaghetti!!! Have fun at curves

paige: I hope your meeting went well, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #13  

paige: I hope you don't mind but I had to copy your tracker love the football thing!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 AM   #14  

Happy Wednesday all!

The meeting yesterday went well. The guy gave us some "tough love" that was for sure! It was all good critisism, but man did we leave feeling overwhelmed!!! Not that we are giving up on the bakery idea, but we are stepping back for a bit. It sure sounded good in my head, but on paper it doesn't look so good. The amount of money that we need to take out in loans...I can't go into it being positive that we are going to be able to stay afloat. I also realized that maybe my choice of business partner might not be the best. I think she is great, but there are some issues that are bothering me. First, she does not have the "skills" that I have (not to put myself on top, but she has not been doing this anywhere near as long as I have) and I fear that I would be the one that would end up spending all the long hours in the kitchen, instead of sharing it like we are saying. Also, the guy yesterday told us that if our credit isn't up to snuff, then wait until it is. I have awesome credit, but she has admitted to me that she did some dumb things when she was younger (not that that is out of the ordinary...many people do) and has bad credit. Everything is in her husband's name, and neither of them own their house (they live with her dh's elderly father, even though they take care of him and the entire property, which is enormous, and pay for it all, it is in the dh's father's name.) Right now I just think there are a lot of things stacked against us. Part of me feels like I'm giving up too soon, but part of me feels like it's better to figure this out now than to get too far into it. I guess it's not saying that I'll never do it, maybe now just isn't the right time? What are your guy's thoughts???

Sooo kind of a busy day here today. I have class, then have to pick up little dd, wait for big dd to get off the bus, and then take them down to MIL's house. Tomorrow and Friday dd doesn't have school because of the Jewish holiday, but I do, so they are having a sleepover at MIL's tonight. Then dh and I need to go do some grocery shopping after I drop the girls off. I have to do a bunch of baking Thursday and Friday for a bakesale that I'm running on Sat for church. Man, Friday is going to be a busy, busy baking day!!!

Linda-Great job on the 2.2! It has been sounding like you are back on track for sure. Your dd will get there...we all have our slumps...she is no different. Just be there and support her.

Janelle-Of course I don't care that you use that tracker!!! My MIL booked our TN tickets yesterday!!! I can't wait to go. I haven't worn my Titans jersey since last Sept, I wonder how big it is on me now?? You guys are so inspiring with your pedometers. I was thinking about trying to get to a meeting tonight after I drop the girls off, maybe I'll pick up one of the WW pedometers.

Kim2-I love dressing professionally. It absolutely makes me feel more powerful!!! I need to get some new dress pants, though...the ones I wore yesterday I can pull off without unzipping and unbuttoning!!! LOL!

Ann-Good job on the switch to core. My downfall was keeping track of the 35flex...I got lazy with it, so be aware of that. It really isn't hard to follow the core foods, you are right. I was quite surprised at how many foods are on the list.

Good morning to everyone I missed!!!

Off to school! Have a great day all!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Morning - glad I could finally get here without issues. I don't know if my computers/virus scanners are blocking stuff on this site or what but I just sit on a page and it won't even let me into the threads. It's just so frustrating. The funny part about it is that the McAfee Site Advisor notice is green so there shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I'm here this a.m.

Paige - The decision has to be yours but asking for input is a good thing. I always say to go with your gut feeling. You know you are meant to have a bakery but perhaps now isn't the time for it? When you are able to make it work, the opportunity will show itself. Maybe you are going to be needed greatly by your children the next couple years. Life has a funny way of opening windows and closing windows but it's usually for a reason that may not be abundantly clear right now. Only my 2 cents.

Linda - good morning. Love your posts.

Tech - tomato sauce ALWAYS takes hours, which is why I compromise and buy mine. I applaud you for going ahead and doing it though. It will taste yummy in the winter months.

Kim - isn't this weather WONDERFUL for walking? I got back into it the past couple days myself. I absolutely love it. Why haven't I been doing this again lately? I feel so much better afterward. Pearl (my dog) was dancing around when I got my tennis shoes and walking clothes on. She knows what it means

Ann - I'm grabbing my original books too as it's time to take a refresher look at them. I've been doing okay since Monday and included all the points into the plan. I even asserted myself with DH last night after he added cheese to the hash browns he made for dinner. Just the hash browns would have been okay on their own. Why oh why does he have to add all that extra crap. Oh well, green beans and pork sirloin strips were okay for dinner.

Haylo - thanks for the reminder on the pedometer - going upstairs to pull it back out again.

Hello to everyone else!
Closed Thread