South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Weekend Warblings - Sept. 8 and 9

Good morning! It's still hot here despite the predictions of t-storms last night. The moon is still up and there will be a lovely sunrise in a while.

Let's have coffee on the deck before I leave to cook breakfast over in the Park. The Vintage Motorcycle Club is here this weekend and the Fair Board is doing the breakfast. The cycles AND the bikers are vintage - nice group and certainly not Hells Angels! Bacon, sausage, eggs, home fries and sliced tomatoes are the menu along with toast, of course. There's a beef BBQ tonight but it's being professionally catered. Whew!

I didn't work in a nap yesterday but will today. I was awake at two and finally got up around three. Too many things in my brain. I should floss it before bed!

What's on your weekend agenda?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, I'll share a cup of coffee with you, Ruth. Breakfast in the park sounds lovely, but Jake and I are headed out to a Pa. Dutch Smorgasbord for breakfast this morning, and then some grocery shopping at the Amish Market. I'm looking forward to a nice bowl of baked oatmeal, my favorite!

We're going to my brother's later today for a hot tub party. Gina always cooks healthy, but I know there's going to be a lot of drinking going on. I'll be good though and try to control myself.

What's on everyone's agenda for the weekend?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Good Morning Ruth and Cottage (and everyone else!)
Sounds like you both have a busy and fun day ahead!

I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee and trying to wind up some client work so I can play today. I usually do my big housework on Saturday since Friday is usually "date day", but ended up doing it yesterday instead. My daughter had her wisdom teeth "cut out" yesterday and I wanted to be home in case they called if she had a problem...not much I could have done anyway since I'm in Louisiana and she's in California, but you know how mamas are. She did just fine (and was pretty funny and loopy on the phone!) She also found out she has TMJ and that was what was causing the most pain. Poor baby, I felt so bad I could not be with her, but her BF is a great guy and taking wonderful care of her.

Not sure what is on my agenda for the day. My oldest son is in town for the day and we are thinking about going to N.O. to get the last of my parent's furniture. Some friends of theirs have been living in my parents old apartment since the storm...the friend's house is just about finished being rebuilt, so we need to go get the furniture before they move. But it is supposed to storm today, so the furniture may have to wait.

I grilled 3 huge pieces of salmon yesterday on cedar planks, and have 2 left over and made a huge pot of lima beans, so don't have any cooking to do today...so if it keeps storming, I might just find a good book or do some research I've been wanting to do, or just stare into space with the "tv clicker" in my hand!

Last edited by femmecreole; 09-08-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #4  
Constant vigilance!

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

ooooooo coffeeeeee! I'm off to start my own but would really appreciate the breakfast! I'm in a "I'm sick of cooking all the time" mode lately...

We could really use the rain here...send some over... just not today. We're attending a friend's son's wedding. It's outdoors at their beautiful home so you can understand why the rain must wait.

We have quite a hectic weekend planned.... mani/pedi/hair for me... dh's first tennis match... son's first baseball game of the season.... and cleaning before the babysitter gets here and tells everyone what a sty we live in!

I've been busy, busy with school and the stress of that place is already creeping in. Why do a bunch of women have to create such DRAMA about every little thing.... I think we need a lot more men in teaching... not just for the kids... but to dilute the estrogen a bit!

Hugs and pixiedust to all of you!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Ladies,
DH made me a cup of high-test expresso this morning, so my eyes should be popping wide open any time now.
I'm calling weigh-in one pound today. I think it's really a little more, but that'll just make it better next week. I think if I leaned a little more to the right I could have made it 2. I have a non-digital scale, and sometimes it's hard to tell, but I prefer not obsessing about tenths of pounds anyway!
I'm going to finish my coffee head across the street to cruise the yard sales that are all over town this morning. Then take DS to horseback riding. Can't remember what else was on the agenda, but fortunately I write EVERYTHING down for just that reason.
Ruth, let me know where you get that brainfloss. I sure could use some too.
Cat, everytime you mention food, I have to run off and copy you. I LOVE lima beans. Ever since I was a kid. My favorite was succotash, but that's off limits these days. Wish it was cooler, I'm in the mood for some split pea soup or lima bean soup. I've even got a big meaty hambone in the freezer!
cottage, a hot tub party! I've never been to one of those. Sounds very California...

Oops, almost missed you noleschick! crosspost! Good to see you. I love weddings, have fun. Hee, cleaning for the babysitter is something I would have to do.

Have a good one chicks, I'll check in later.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 09-08-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleschick92 View Post
Why do a bunch of women have to create such DRAMA about every little thing.... I think we need a lot more men in teaching... not just for the kids... but to dilute the estrogen a bit!
I honestly don't think most men could handle it...they aren't tough enough
Especially with little kids. They would either run away crying or end up throwing kids out the window..not good!

I know what you mean about the drama. I am the only one left at my school of the original faculty. My 2 best friends that started out at the same time have both retired. I don't remember all the "cattiness" years ago. We had a small faculty then and we all worked and partyed together. We went through marriages, babies and deaths together like a family. Now it seems like it is just "me, me, me". Us "old ones" just shake our heads. This year, the kids and parents on the whole seem like a really good bunch so far...you know how every now and then you just seem to get a great group? This seems to be that year. But in the past few years, it seems like the kids and the parents are getting nuttier and nuttier.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #7  
Constant vigilance!

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

femme, you're right of course.. most men would run screaming with what we have to deal with at the elementary school! 8-)

Our drama seems to be the opposite of yours... there are a few ladies on our team who have been at our school since it opened. They have taught in the same grade, in the same room for 17 years and they absolutely refuse to try or do anything differently than what they have done since the beginning. They refuse to accept that differences in kids "these days" necessitate a different teaching strategy. Instead of looking at new options for their teaching, they just blame the students and their families, shake their heads, and mourn for the days when all our students came from 2 parent homes with a stay-at-home mom. They insist in meetings that we all "show a united front and do the same thing in each class" but what they really mean is "do it our way" because we won't do it your way. I've been here three years now (with 8 other years under my belt at a different school) and they still say I don't understand the school's programs and philosophy. (!!!!!)

Anyway, I've always been the kind of gal who would rather hang out with the guys to avoid the girl drama. I'd just rather we could accept each other's ideas and modify a bit. It leaves me in an awkward position... I'm either teaching in a way I don't believe in... or going against the group and doing my own thing...

Thanks for listening.... now back to our regular scheduled program...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #8  

Morning gals!

Imagine that I am doing laundry on this fine Saturday morning. Will it ever end??

Ruth Definitely get that nap in today, although you sure sound busy!!

Cottage A hot tub party sounds like fun- enjoy!

Femme I have to agree that it seems that parents are getting nuttier every year. I think they are a big part of why their kids have problems!!

Noles Do you work for a strong principal? Those old school teachers would never survive in the building I work in. You are so right about needing many different teaching strategies- I can't believe how different my teaching is today from where I started.

Me- Grocery shopping, laundry, and a birthday party are all on our agenda for the day. It is a roller skating party which should be fun. Abigail has never skated before, so I am curious to see how she does.

Anyhow, I am actually going to make a food plan to get through this week successfully before I blow up!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

The yard sales were fun, we hit pay dirt today, got a nice set of dining chairs for DD's apartment that perfectly match the table I gave her, and DH picked up a computer and monitor that are an upgrade for us from the old Pentium2, Windows 98 we've been running. We have laptops, so the desktop is mostly just for the kids to play around on and a backup for the laptops. The kids will be happy to be able to play some of their games on it. OH, and homework of course. I have my eye on an antique oak side table I saw that was priced too high for me, but I may run back later and see if it's still around and make an offer.

Found my to-do list for the rest of the day, which includes taking DD to a birthday party and working on my kitchen. I've got some new curtains, a set of shelves to hang, a new light fixture, and I'm transforming an old arched window from the attic into a picture frame for the wall. So that's fun work!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #10  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow, everyone has a lot of stuff to do today! I'm almost tired just reading about it. I'm still unpacking but will finally be moving down to the basement area where my exercise equipment was taken, so it will be fun and inspirational to get busy down there.

Interesting discussion among you teachers... I'm far past having a school child but I really do understand that "today's children" are so much different from those of the old Beaver Cleaver days that a lot of people long for. There was a thread on another board about how kids dress with underwear hanging out and piercings and all the things that seem different to us. Attitudes are so different too. But it's a completely different world that the one us "elders" grew up in 20-30 years ago. I agree about the estrogen too. A little testosterone goes a long way to dispel a bit of drama!

Well, I've finished my coffee and granola and read every post everyplace I could possibly dream of in order to avoid getting to work. But I guess I'd better get started.

Happy Saturday to all! Best success on the eating and exercise today! I'll holler back tomorrow.

L
Old 09-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #11  

Brian has been asking for a pool ever since we went to the pool party 2 weeks ago and I've wanted one myself so this morning we measured the backyard (house, fence, tree, porch) and went to visit a pool company. We want a salt water system rather than chlorine and this company does mostly salt. The guy is going to visit us at the house on Tuesday to do the design and give us a quote but it sounds like we can afford it! Yeah! It will take most of my savings but I think it will be well worth it.

We dug through the papers and found the survey for this house so that will save quite a bit since it won't need to be redone. Now I need to go work on clearing out the jungle that used to be a vegetable garden since most of it will be gone or moved.

I've got Cajun sausage (with tomatoes, Rotel, onions, celery, kidney beans, and lots of spices and Tabasco) simmmering in the crockpot so I can work until dinner.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #12  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

To be fair to my generation (I'm 19... with a pierced nose :P), there are a lot of pressures facing us that were not facing our parent's or grandparent's generations. For instance, college is no longer optional like it was for my parents. My dad didn't go to college and rose from being a factory worker to the vice president of that company before going into multinationals. That would NOT happen in my generation. At least for the crowd I've always been around, it's always pressure pressure pressure to go to the best college to go to the best grad school to get into the best law/business school to get the best job. And even in class, there's pressure that we need to be the generation to solve terrorism, global warming, the poverty disparity in the global South, the peak oil crisis, and the War in Iraq. Each generation has it's own problems and each reacts in different ways- hippies and Deadheads in my parent's Cold War generation and Communists in my grandparent's WWII generation. My generation has ghetto rappers. :P

Finally making my Trader Joe's run today. My grandmother got me a list from them that has all of their gluten free products. I'll pick up a dairy free list and cross reference so I have a bunch of safe goodies for me to snack on.

Last edited by charolastra00; 09-08-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #13  
Allie

PS- Anyone ever seen sugar free merangue cookies? They are the only desserty type item that does not have gluten or dairy in them, just a ton of sugar. I've SEEN them be made but I don't think I have the culinary finesse to do it :P
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #14  
Allie

Please sign me up for that life! I did not have a job- but that's because companies where I lived bought into the fact that parents HAD to buy their kids cars and would not hire anyone otherwise. I live in a dorm, but I only got a 30K scholarship that leaves me with about 20K left to cover. I have to borrow from family but will probably owe my grandparents upwards of $100,000 just for undergrad and grad school- not counting my phD. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about how different the generations are. My grandparents thought my parent's lives were SO easy, when they worked just as hard, but in a different way. Just because negativity gets attention doesn't mean negativity is the rule.

Sorry for the rant- I just get really offended when people assume that my life has been easier or I don't work as hard because of my age. I know you all don't mean anything by it though :P
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning! Finally managed to sleep in until 6! My friend Liz came over yesterday afternoon so I never did get my nap.

Lucy is barking at me from the kitchen. She wants MILK and NOW! It sure doesn't take long to spoil a dog. Her prednisone is making her hungry - remind me never to take it.

Church is on the agenda this morning, then a visit to Harry. Lunch will be leftover chicken and some tabbouleh and I plan to continue with The Big Cook this afternoon. My freezer is filling up. I even have eight single servings of Taco Bake which freezes beautifully, by the way. I may work in some sewing later today.

Looks like another sunny Sunday here in "Mayberry"! What's happening at your house?
Closed Thread