Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #1  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Default Thanks for advice, here's my goals!!

Thanks for all the advice and info that you shared on my other post about setting goals. I have taken it to heart and I think I gotta agree that while meeting a timed goal would be great, I need to focus on just keeping the numbers going the right direction no matter how long it takes. I think that's the reason I have failed so many times before, because I have always set such unreasonable time frames for achievement and I was too discouraged to continue. SO.. here's my goals!! I have been planning a trip to Paris next spring and I have decided to use this as my incentive.
Goal #1. When I have lost the first 50 pounds, I will order my passport.
Goal #2. When I have slipped into "Onederland" (I LOVE that) I will book my trip.

This won't be the end of my journey, but it is definately going to give me something to look forward to! I also spent last evening arranging my closet in size order so I can see what I have to look forward to as I am depositing the largest sizes into big black bags!!

Thanks for all your help, its only been a few days but I can already see how different its going to be "THIS TIME"
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Love em'!!! Rewards for WHEN you reach certain milestones. And reach them you will. FANTASTIC!! Good luck to you. I really look forward to watching your journey and hearing all about your success.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #3  

Sounds like wonderful goals!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
Great goals, btw Where do you want to go???
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Marseille, great incentives! Just be sure you order your passport in plenty of time for your trip. The processing times are way up right now due to the new requirement for passports for travel to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada. We went through it this summer with my daughter. She did not get hers in time, but because so many people didn't, they were allowing travel on a birth certificate and proof of passport application. But that is only for Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean, not Europe. Also, FYI, we paid for expedited service, but I don't think it made a difference. I would order at least 3 months in advance of travel.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Very nice goals! Can I come?
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Ditto on the passport advice--it is taking some folks up to two months to get theirs!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

hmmmm... I hate to be a wet blanket, but it seems these are timed weight goals (or at least time sensitive) which could be problematic in this situation.

If you want to book a trip for next spring, shouldn't you be getting the passport (as others have mentioned) and booking the trip soon? What if it takes you too long to lose the weight and you miss out on the trip (that you're already planning). Even if you consistently lose 2 pounds a week it would take you over 6 months to lose 65 pounds (onederland goal), which puts you into February and might be a little late to book a spring trip! Then, rather than serving as a reward, it's almost like you're punishing yourself for not losing the weight quickly enough. And if you have a winter/holiday stall, as many of us do, you might not lose the 65 pounds even that quickly.

If you're concerned about setting goals with dates attached, you could do something different, such as setting fitness goals. Or, do that you could do something like book a spa day when you reach a certain goal... the spa will always be there... but I'd hate to see you miss a trip you're already planning or because you didn't make a goal!

Last edited by Heather; 09-08-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #9  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I should have been more specific! It looks like a timed goal based on what I said about travelling in the spring, but I have decided to actually base my trip around when I hit these goals. I am very flexible on my travel dates so if I don't hit the first goal until next February, that just means I will travel a little later! I purposely picked a goal between getting a passport and booking a trip because I knew the backlog for getting a passport is so long so hopefully that 3 months or so gives me enough time to complete goal #2! Thanks everyone for being involved, I honestly had no idea that anyone else would care.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Oh, I love Paris! These are fabulous goals and I love the idea of you using your trip as an incentive.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

We all care. That's what we're here for. And we all want to go along. :-) And we all want to see pictures of you AND Paris!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Great goals!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for clarifying! That makes MUCH more sense!!!! (I'm jealous!)

Bon voyage!!!!!

Last edited by Heather; 09-08-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote