Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Bein NOSY

How many exercise? Anyone doing it without any? any success?

Anyone tried the "Urban Rebounder" the small trampoline??? I saw an infomercial for it when I couldnt sleep and i almost bought it, it looked so fun AND holds up to 300lbs.....they say it doesn't cause as much stress on the old knees

thanks
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Personally - I did not have success until I started exercising.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Sadly (since I'll admit I don't like to exercise) my weight loss stalls without it. Still doesn't make me do it sometimes, but I know what the result of NOT doing it is...SSSLLLLOOOWWW weight loss.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I do not exercise as much as I should. So far, I am seeing the scale drop, but I know it will not be that way forever. Since I live in a city, I walk pretty much everywhere, so I get a couple of miles in a day without really trying, but in previous tries, a more formal exercise program has really helped move things along.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I'd love to exercise more but get as much in a day as I can without driving myself crazy! LOL, I'm finding a nice balance between counting calories and walking each day. I think the main thing is to do what you can do and don't stress out. I have lost weight just counting calories alone but I haven't lost as much weight, my skin didn't seem to "snap back" as well, and I also didn't have that overall good feeling after a good workout.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #6  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Exercise really helps. I'm losing quite a bit of weight right now with diet alone, but I did notice that the week where I missed all of my exercise, my progress pretty much slowed -- but to be honest that also had other attributing factors, I went off my diet a little... but it was mostly the exercise. I think you can still lose weight without it, but it's a much more gradual decline, and I would say you are more likely to gain weight without it as well. The thing is, is that if you do both exercise and eat healthier, then you have more grace if you mess up in one of those areas -- I've found that it is not as difficult to get back on track.

Unless you can't exercise, I would recommend that you do it, at least to try it out! I'm having some problems myself with my ankles, but tonight I swam for about 45 minutes and am hoping to work things like that into my routine to relieve my ankles from all of the pressure. Hopefully once I lose more weight this won't be such a big issue. I also got some feedback on this forum for some ankle strengthening exercises that I'm going to try -- look for the thread called "Exercise Question" that I started, there are some good responses there that may help!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I can't eat right without the exercise. I plan my food intake around when I will exercise, and knowing how horrible I feel when I exercise after eating garbage often makes me forgo the garbage. If I don't walk/run at night, I almost always eat things that I wouldn't have eaten had I walked. If I don't do something in the morning, I tend to want to eat more often and choose less healthy food. The exercise makes me feel really good and encourages me to drink water and choose good food. For me, at least, it's all about the exercise, so when I read about people getting injured, I just cringe and pray that I can avoid it, as it's such a huge key for me.

As for the rebounder, I've heard really good things about it, though I haven't tried it. And look at you - now WAY under the weight limit and progressing further away from it every day!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

24 lbs since june 30min walks 3 times a week. better eating habits

my walks started at less then a mile in 30 mins. I now avg 1.75 miles 30 mins I started at 25 min pace now at about 19.06

I also try to get a 1000 cal burn in each 7 day period which is about 4 miles for me.

Last edited by Outland; 09-06-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 AM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I've done it all ways. Exercise w/o eatting right. Eatting right w/o exercise, and doing both I can tell you doing BOTH is so much easier. It takes awhile to get into the swing of the regular habit, but even as someone who used to hate exercise I don't mind it so much anymore.

I have an Urban rebounder. I'm kinda mixed feelings on it. To be honest I don't use it much right now. It was really fun the first few times but I could only go for about 10mins at a time. Its tiring on the calves. As I used it it got alittle less bouncy are more squeeky and I hate the way it sounds. It is kinda fun but I don't see it as the best solution to exercise just a wee part of the puzzle.

For me I work out 6 days a week sometimes more. Usually atleast an hour I'm doing DVDs (Turbo Jam, Step Aerobics, Walk away the pounds, kickboxing etc) or I'm walking at a brisk pace outside 2-4 miles. I aim for 60-90 mins a day.

I just like the way it makes me feel I really feel so much better health wise then I did at even 220 when I lost weight w/o exercise. My resting heart rate is way down and it makes me feel more relaxed in general.

As for motivation the best way for me to handle it was tell myself I will aim for every day so there isn't a will I or won't I excuse. That being said I try and take a day off every week or so, but Its not schduled just when I need I feel it.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 09-06-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I exercise 5-6 days per week and it helps in my weight loss, but where I really notice the difference is in my attitude. When I'm exercising regularly I'm happier, more upbeat, more confident, more optimistic, and have much more energy than when I'm not exercising. I suffer from depression and regular exercise keeps my down days much less frequent. My mom tells me I'm like a different person entirely when I'm exercising. Different in a good way, of course. She tells me I'm kinder and more patient with people. (Patience is not my strong suit...)

I'd recommend giving it a shot, what've you got to lose?
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #11  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I think for good results with weight loss eating good and exercising goes hand in hand. I have to admit I push myself to exercise more , so I will have the results on the scale. Being a SAHM, I am seditary( did I spell that right?), a lot of the time, so exercising more helps. I do 38-40 minutes on my elliptical trainer with resistance, I also do about 14 minutes of what I call general exercises( crunches, sit ups, leg lifts, leg bends, ect..), and about 14 minutes of free weight lifting( about 12 different lifts). On the weekend I try and do one day of walking for 30 minutes or longer. This past weekend, since it was long, I hiked for 2 hrs Sunday and Monday, which probably helped with the 5 lb loss.
But don't think it is easy for me, I literally have to push myself in the mornings to get out of the computer chair to exercise, and that scares me, because I know there is going to be a day that I don't exercise, and I will use it as a excuse not to exercise the next day and so on and so forth.
I exercise usually 6-7 days a week.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #12  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've been working out at Curves for a year now. At first I hated it, and admit that I often did the bare minimum to get out of there. My attitude changed on July 1st, and I have slowly been increasing duration and intensity. Yesterday, I worked out for an entire 60 minutes and felt great! My Curves doesn't care what I do there so I just work my own routine. Right now that means I stay on each machine and pad for a minute and half instead of the 30 second rotation. Of course this is harder to do when there are more than one or two people there. Yesterday I had the place to myself for the first 45 minutes and it was heaven!

When the weather cools off my 15-year old and I are going to start walking in the evenings at least 3 days a week.

I really think since I have been eating right and within my calorie limit and still not seeing the scale dropping that upping the exercise is the only sensible solution. We shall see.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm also in agreement that it goes hand in hand. That in order to have longterm success, and that's what we're after, exercise is really vital. It took me years to face up to this fact. Although I don't love exercise, I love that I DO exercise. It is definitely a frame of mind. It does wonders for the so important mental game and then of course there's the physical aspect. It does increase metabolisim, burn calories and makes you much more toned and fit.

I know I must sound lilke a broken record, but why not try the Walk Away the Pound DVD's? They're fabulous. Once you get into the exercise, you will be hooked. You'll just love what it does for you all around.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

I still don't like exercise, but I'm getting to the point where I'm in a bad mood if I don't get it done in the morning. Does that make sense? Of course, I'd rather if I didn't have to do it, and could just naturally have an awesome toned body, but it is something you have to do, it is part of my routine now, and if I don't do it, my whole routine is thrown off, and for some reason while I'm on this journey, the parts pertaining to my health have to be on a routine for me.

What worked for me was going to the gym at six in the morning. Even though I don't have to be at work until one in the afternoon at the earliest, if I set my alarm for 5 am, and leave for the gym at twenty of, I'm not really awake yet and thus I can't talk myself out of not going. I just go through the motions of getting ready and going to the gym and not really think about what I'm actually doing. If I get up at say nine o'clock and tell myself I'll go in an hour or so at my own leisure, maybe half the time I'd motivate myself to go. I did that when I first started this journey, getting up whenever and going whenever, but once the initial burst of enthusiasm waned, it was really hard for me to go without setting up a specific time to go. Plus, I do the classes, and I personally would find it awkward to walk out in the middle of a class. Whereas if I was doing my own thing on the machines a lot of the time there would be a broken record of "I hate this I hate this I hate this I hate this" going around in my head and within fifteen minutes I'd be out the door.

That was longer than I intended it to be. Sorry.
Fooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #15  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have to exercise if I want to lose weight, so I drag myself to the gym five days a week and commune with the treadmill and the elliptical. I lose weight faster if I swim, but the pool at the gym has been so crowded all summer that I haven't gone near it. Maybe once the weather cools off people's kids will stop bugging their parents to take them swimming in the lap pool. One can hope!

I don't *enjoy* any of it, and I'm pretty much always achy, but that's the trade-off for losing weight. I already ate a sort-of healthy vegetarian diet (okay, I am a sugar addict, but I never drank full-sugar soda or kept a lot of junk around the house), so if I don't exercise my weight just plateaus.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote