Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #1  
Crawling

S/C/G: 227/160

Thumbs up Baby Steps Brigade *NEW*

Do you constantly start new challenges, new diets, new exercise programs only to quit? Join the club. No, seriously, join this club ... because you're exactly who I'm making it for to be in it.

Why? Because there's a REASON why you're failing, why I'm failing, and it's "too much, too fast" without a real commitment. This isn't something I came up with, but what most major fitness/weight loss experts believe -- the all or nothing attitude DOESN'T work. It actually is the formula for failure.

Here's why: It takes 21 days of doing something to create a habit out of it. You're more apt to stick to it, if isn't a drastic change. (Examples - a 20 minute walk 4x a week instead of one hour of kickboxing daily. Not eating after 8 o'clock at night instead of ONLY eating 1,200 calories a day. Not eating donuts instead of giving up all sugar.)

I want any woman who joins this challenge to list three new habits they'd like to create. Just three. Remember less is more and slow as you go. Complete tortoise logic. No hares here.

YOU pick when you want to start. After 21 days of committing to the group and your 3 new habits, YOU pick if you want to add another healthy habit OR work on one or all three 21 days longer.

The only thing I demand from each and every one of you, including myself, is you must check-in. Daily. This is not optional. Don't make excuses. Hold yourself accountable. Don't allow yourself to hide away, lie to the group, and more importantly, to yourself. Each little lie is a little failure that leads to binges, laying on the couch, and depression. You deserve better. I deserve better.

If you need support, are willing to really give it, and want to change your life slowly but surely, join this group. What do you have to lose? Pounds? Inches? Excuses? Bad habits? I think it's worth it.

My own start date is this Thursday, September 6th, when my children go back to school. I will start another post with my three goals ... and only three goals. I hope I have convinced some of you to join me. If not, I won't stop coming to this thread. I'll post daily. I'll commit to having a better life and doing something about the weight and the mess I've created. Time to mend my life.

~ Bee
CrawlWalkRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #2  
Crawling

On September 6th, Thursday, I begin my 3 things -
I will walk 30 minutes daily.
I will not eat after 8 o'clock at night.
I will drink at least 6 servings of water.

I'll be back, and then daily once Thursday hits. Even if I'm going this alone.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #3  
Crawling

Still doing this thing. Just checking in to repeat myself.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #4  
Crawling

Have my big water bottle now -- holds 6 servings. Emotionally preparing for Thursday. If I don't get any "takers" by Thursday, I may switch this to the blog.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #5  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi Bee ... You've got your first "taker"!

I first joined 3fatchicks many years ago (athough I haven't been around for a while!) and I'm still in the same postion now that I was then. I've yo-yo'd up and down over the years ... always trying to run before I can walk ... setting myself challenges and goals that I know, realistically, I won't be able to keep. I know deep down that the only way I'm going to achieve what I want to achieve is by taking "Baby Steps".

I started back to work this week after the long summer holidays (I work in a school), during which time I said I was going to lose weight before I returned ... I didn't! However, a few of my colleagues have and it's made me feel like a failure! I know I shouldn't compare myself to others ... we all have different reasons for losing, or wanting to lose weight. Seeing them has made me realise that it is possible, but no one else is going to do it for me ... I have to do it myself.

So, I promise that I will post every day (weekends may sometimes be difficult, but I'll try!) ... just as long as you do! So many of these threads seem to fizzle out after the initial interest has died down, but I'm determined to keep it going if you are!

I'm going to start right away ... Here's my 3 things:

1. Drink 1.5 litres of water daily.
2. Eat required servings of fruit/veg daily.
3. No alcohol during weekdays!

21 days from now will be 26 September ... I'll look back and see how I did!

Good luck to you and I look forward to checking in with you daily!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I'm joining too. If I have to check in daily, I think it'll make me do what I say I'll do. Thanks so much for this thread!
I'm starting tomorrow, September 6th.
I will...
1. Walk my dog for 30 minutes before work (healthy for me and for him)
2. Swim (at least?) 20 laps in the pool in the evening
3. Eat healthy snacks like fruit, veggies, or yogurt. (instead of the chips and candy I want)
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #7  
Crawling

Nichola, your words really resonated with me -- about people expecting things from you. For me, that would be my husband. He's the type that says, "You've done it before, you should be able to do it now." Meanwhile, he's skin and bones. Ugh. I love your first three goals, nice and easy. I will definitely check in with you daily. I will be here daily. 21 days!

Quiet Ballerina, I'll be walking my dog too! I'm hoping that's what keeps me motivated. I know she needs daily walks ... and so do I!

Here's to daily accountability!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #8  

CrawlWalkRun, the vet wants my dog to lose some weight so hopefully this will help both of us. What kind of dog do you have? Mine's a schnauzer.

Nichola Maybe you could try using others as part of your motivation. One of my best friends has been losing weight steadily with WW, so I'm in the "if she can do it, so can I!" mindset.

There wasn't anything good on TV tonight (haha what a reason, eh?) so I decided to get started on the swimming.

Accomplished:
20 laps +
10 laps w/ kick board

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 09-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #9  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hello again

Welcome to Quiet Ballerina

Well, I managed to stick to my '3 things' yesterday, hope you both manage to do the same today.

QB - I will certainly be using one of my friends as motivation, in fact she's encouraging me to go along with her to the gym (not sure whether I'm quite ready for that yet though - baby steps remember). Although I do plan to start walking more ... she's also offered to meet up with me to do it together, problem is we live quite a way from each other. However, I do also have a dog who needs lots of exercise ... the walks are mostly left up to my husband and my two teenage kids ... but my son is off to start university next week in the UK so I guess now it's my turn to take over his share of the dog walks!! We have a Weimaraner ... you know those big silver grey dogs with long floppy ears? Her name is Brodie and she's almost 8 years old ... although some people still think she's only about 1-2 years old ... she's very energetic and playful!

Speak to you girls again tomorrow!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 09-06-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #10  

Update on my day so far:
Woke up (okay okay...dragged myself out of bed) and went to get my dog. First leash I tried seemed broken, so I got the other leash and we went outside. I didn't have a very good grip on the leash though, so when Dodger jerked, I dropped the leash and we played a short game of chase (didn't even go to the end of the driveway, but ended with me having the grass equivilent of carpet burn on one knee). So then we started our walk and I discovered that the leash I was using is also broken.
addition to my to-do list for today: buy new leash.
In short, we walked for 15 minutes instead of the full 30, and he laid down on the cool tile inside the moment we walked in the door. I think I'll finish the last 15 minutes later on today solo.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #11  
Crawling

I did my walk. 30 minutes with dog on bike path right after I dropped the kids off at school. 1/21 done! Half of water gone. Replies:

Quiet, mine is a pug. She's not overweight, but she's not getting any exercise ... just like her hairless mommy. lol Great job on the swimming!

Nichola, awesome job on completing your 3 things! I'm halfway there now.

Last edited by CrawlWalkRun; 09-06-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #12  
Crawling

I'm back for my last update of the evening.

So far I did my exercise AND drank all my water. I usually don't eat after 8pm so this shouldn't be a problem, but I'll definitely tell you gals tomorrow if I was successful or not.

I'm not looking forward to my morning walk, but knowing I have some to "report to" is really helping me. At home, I'm the only one fighting this battle. It's nice to not have to do it alone.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #13  

checking in.
finished the rest of my walk and swam my laps.
I got a harness today for my dog at Walmart, and he is *so* much better behaved when we're walking now. When I just used his collar he'd always pull and choke himself. Now he just walks along, happy as can be.

doing pretty good on the snacking, but it helps that there aren't any chips in the house right now.

crawlwalkrun I completely agree. I did not want to finish the rest of my walk this evening, but I didn't want to come back tonight and say "well....I didn't exactly get to the rest of my walk..." So thanks you two!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #14  
Crawling

Well, day 2 of the walking for 30 minutes is complete! Once again, I had this 2 minute discussion in my head of how not to do it and then thought of posting that I didn't do it ... that I need the full 21 days, on and on. So, I would have quit already if not for this.

Quiet, there's been a HUGE dog on both of my walks that is trying to kill my little dog and the owner has almost no control. Maybe I should tell her about the harness because dear God, it beared its teeth today and wow, it could swallow my dog whole. So far she's just been giving it treats to get its mind off of others, but it eats it, then lunges.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #15  
Crawling

Oh, and I stopped eating last night before 8pm, as promised.

So far:

30 minutes of walking: 2/21
6 servings of water: 1/21
No eating after 8pm: 1/21