Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #1  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Exercise Question

So, I am having some problems exercising. When I play DDR, I do lots of jumping around and it's really taking a toll on my ankles. I've been barely getting through my workouts for the past week. Tonight I started to do it and couldn't make it. I mean, I suppose I *could* have, but I was worried I might land on my feet long and twist my ankle or something like that -- something that would not be pretty. It would be one thing if I had an arcade pad and I could wear shoes but... alas, I don't. And I'm getting a little bored with it anyway. I was thinking about getting up tomorrow before work and taking a brisk walk, but unfortunately my schedule is off again (it seems as though I am just a night creature. Should I embrace it or no? I've been trying not to...), so by the time I get up and do that it's going to be pretty hot out -- around 1 - 2 pm.

I mention this all because you are suggesting doing water aerobics... well, my apartment has a pool, and since school has started now it probably won't be very populated, if at all... do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of exercises to do and how long I should do it in order to make any difference (and if possible, does anyone know of a good fitness calculator where I could maybe even figure out how many calories I'm burning)? I'm not really a great swimmer and tend to get bored of laps, plus the pool is kind of an odd shape to do them-- kind of a "lagoon" shape, except a little boxy/angular, and if there are other people there, it might be difficult to do it because there's not a lot of room. But doing some exercise in the pool would be ideal, because I can get some sun and fresh air -- Vitamin D you know, and it would relieve my ankles, and give me some diversity in my exercise so I don't get so freakin' bored, and it's free!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, I'd say... you ought to wear good supportive shoes for DDR! But I guess the version you have doesn't have a pad you can wear shoes on...

Water aerobics can be pretty complicated--I'd suggest you find some books or other resources, or maybe take a class?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Swimming laps burns the most calories of any water exercise, so it might not be a bad idea to swim laps as part of your pool workout, if not all of it. Even a few minutes of laps will help you build up your swimming skills and maybe you'll start to enjoy it more.

Having said that, you can also get a decent water workout by jogging in the shallow end. I have a friend who jogs around the perimeter of her pool (upground so the whole thing is shallow) and she's lost weight doing that. Even treading water burns some calories. It's all about the water resistance.

Last edited by thistoo; 09-05-2007 at 03:44 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I enjoy water aerobics and swimming, and I mix it up with running to decrease the impact on my body, especially my joints. I took a class, though, and have been trying to think of how to describe some of the exercises to you without being able to show you. I am at a loss. I also tried Googling it, and there are a variety of how-to books and DVDs, but I could not find any free descriptions of it in the short time that I looked. I did, however, find a calories burned estimate and cut and pasted the applicable portion below, but I am not vouching for its accuracy.

I think it's a great way to get exercise, and hope that you find a routine that is enjoyable and effective!

Once you have developed a good technique that is comfortable for you, aim to walk or jog in the water for between 20 to 40 minutes per exercise session. Water aerobics has an added benefit: it enables you to burn up calories much more efficiently. Compare the following estimates of calorie consumption for a 30-minute workout:

* Land walking: 135 calories
* Deep water walking; 264 calories
* Jogging on land: 240 calories
* Deep water jogging: 340 calories
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Water jogging is fine exercise. Here's a website that has some more ideas for moves in the pool - http://hydro-tone.com/exercises.html

Also, I would recommend adding some ankle strengthening exercises to prevent future injury.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote