Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default I have come to a decision....(grab a coffee, it's kinda long)

After much thought and study, I have decided to join Jenny Craig. Even though I owe NO ONE an explanation, here are my reasons (maybe this is more for myself than anyone):

--I NEED STRUCTURE: When reflecting back on the programs that have worked for me in the past, the ones that are the most structured have always done the best. Back in 2003-2004, I lost 70 lbs using Medifast. My physician advises going that low in calories again, so I can't do that. But I think my success was largely due to the rigid structure. Obviously it wasn't a long term success, because I have put on 50 of the 70 lbs again.

--FREEDOM ISN'T FREE: I also realized that the programs that gave me too much choice (like Weight Watchers) were the most dangerous to me. I would stay within my points, but what I spent my points on mostly was crap food, totally void of nutrition. That only taught me ways to manipulate the system and still eat junk. I lost and gained the same 6 lbs for about 10 weeks. Jenny's program is based on balance.

--FINANCIALLY: I've recently discovered that my health insurance with pay 50% of the program cost for JC, while my employer will pay $40 a month toward the program as part of the company wellness program. Between the two, I can join Jenny for FREE, plus have some of the food paid for.....that being said, I am in a very good place financially where paying for program food will not be a hardship on me at all.

--DONE MY HOMEWORK: I've been reading diet reviews, message boards (including this one), etc. to find out how the program works, what I should expect, etc. I feel very well prepared for the decision I have made.

--KEEPING IT REAL: I am aware that I cannot eat ONLY Jenny food forever; I also know that there will be occasions where dining out will happen, special events, and other things that will put me in food situations. The JC program has thought through all of these things, and has trained their consultants to help their clients develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle. BTW, I *LOVE* the fact that there is a consultant JUST FOR ME...unlike having to vie for the little bit of attention of my WW leader would give me. And I will not hesitate to ask for a different consultant if I feel I am not clicking with her/him. It's MY program, after all....

So, there you have it.....I am about to embark on a brand new adventure. I can visualize this plan working for me. I am COMMITTED to improving my quality of life through being healthy. The only one that can do this is ME.

I want to thank you all for reading this to the end. I hope you'll all support me in my endeavors.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Good for you! I'm not on Jenny Craig but I hear you on having structure in your diet plan!!!! If you're anything like me there wasn't a lot of structure when it came to eating when I was growing up. Mom would pile the mashed taters on my plate and encourage me to eat more! I know mom meant well but geez she had to have seen what all that food was doing to me!

It's great that your employer is helping out! Do you mind providing more info on how that works with your company-are they teamed up with a certain program? insurance? etc. I'd love to propose something like this to the company I work for so any details you can provide would be great!

Good luck on JC!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations on your decision to improve your health. The way you choose to do it is your business, I always say do what works for you.Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Good luck, Jen! JC and the other food delivery programs never seem vegetarian-friendly, which is why I haven't considered them, but I think it's awesome that your employer will pay part of the cost! That definitely makes it worth a try.

(As an aside, I just left the Space Coast for a job in Tennessee. My parents live in Melbourne. Small world!)
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Jen, I totally get what you're saying about loving structure - I also thrive on it.

Just be thinking long term - how will you get the structure you need when you're flying solo. You don't like the freedom of WW (or probably calorie counting), I would definitely encourage you to join us in the Whole Foods Lifestyle section - whole foods + calorie counting really provides a ton of structure while eliminating junk. It might give you some ideas for meals/recipes (and strategies for restaurants/social events) to try during/after Jenny Craig! The Maintainer's Forum is also a GREAT place to hang out - everyone that loses 1 lb is a maintainer!

Good luck with Jenny Craig!

The Other Jen
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #6  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Jen415,
congrats on this decision! And that is great that your health insurance will pay part of it!!! The most important thing is you getting healthy, no matter how you plan to do it!! Way to go!!!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #7  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Jen - The reason that there are so many different diets out there is that everyone needs different things to help them reach their goals. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your choice and it makes a ton of sense. That is so great that your work and insurance will pay for so much of it. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #8  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like you've thought it out...good idea.

Best wishes!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, we will support you! Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I absolutely applaud your decision. I think it is vital to find your weaknesses and work around them. Doesn't hurt that insurance and the job will help with the costs.

I used to say all the time, how I wish somebody would just hand me a days allotment of food, I would know that that's what I could eat and be done with it - period. JC was not an option for me for several reasons - the main one being I have a family and it just wouldn't fit it with a family life, not to mention the money aspect of it.

I think you're a pretty smart chickie. I think you are more then aware that this is just a temporary means to your "solution". I think you know that when that weight comes off, and it will, there IS maintenance to contend with after. Hopefully by the time you get there and well before it, you can start weaning yourself from JC and find a more permanent "solution", so to speak.

Good luck to you Jen. I'm EXTREMELY excited for you!!!!! I think this can really be something positive for you.

But please don't forget about us, now that you've got some JC counselor helping you along . Hey, maybe they could put you in a commercial like Kirstie Alley and Valerie Bertinelli.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like you have done your homework. I hope it goes wonderfully for you!!!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #12  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Good for you, Jen!

I think that half the battle is choosing the plan that's going to work best for you as an individual rather than jumping on the bandwagon and going for whichever diet is currently fashionable. Sounds like you've fully looked into it, so I'm sure you're going to be fine!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hey there!!

I really like Jenny Craig and I think you'll do great. You have really put a lot of thought into this.

We are here for you 100%!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

I agree that they key is to find what works for you and for your lifestyle. My sister did JC 2 years ago and loved it and has been able to keep her weight off. Best of luck to you!
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #15  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Thank you thank you thank you! I knew I could count on you all for support! To answer a few questions:

Vealcalf:I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance. They have partnered with Jenny Craig to offer discounts on the program costs. I know there are some other insurance carriers that do as well...as far as my employer goes, I work for a large company that wants to try to keep healthcare costs down, and feel like offering financial incentives for this will pay off big in the long run. My employer will reimburse me $40 per month to be on either Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. They will also contribute $25 per month towards a gym membership. Even better--they are giving CASH to people that lose weight! If you lose at least 5% of your body weight a quarter, you will end up with $500 at the end of the year! They are doing a similar incentive with a tobacco cessation program. I missed my 5% target the first quarter, but am hoping to be able to make it the second quarter.

Thistoo:JC actually has a lot of meatless meals now. ...and I work near Melbourne where your folks are! A small world indeed!

Glory (aka the other Jen): I guess what I meant by "too much freedom" is that it is too much for me at first. I need to be told what to do, at least in the beginning. The JC program is structured in such a way that it will start incorporating food other than JC food a bit at a time, with the end goal to be totally off the food. I don't know of too many maintainers in JC that don't still use the food in some way or the other though....

Rockinrobin:I don't see JC as a "temporary" solution--more like a means to an end. JC has a good maintenace program, so they don't kick you out the door when you reach goal! LOL And BTW, There is NO JC counselor that can ever replace the support of 3FC folks!!

Again, thanks to all of you for your support. I have an appointment tomorrow after work, and I am THIS excited!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote