Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default VOLUMETRICS - September '07

Welcome . . . . . . Thought we should have a new start for a new month . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. A recent article in Newsweek has been bringing a little more attention. If you haven't yet seen the article, here is a link . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17537369/ . . . I first discovered Volumetrics about a year ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...s_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
Old 09-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Happy September 1, everyone!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning, Chickies . . .

It's a beautifully sunny and cool morning -- just the kind of weather I love -- hope it continues for a long, long time.

Nothing else too exciting around here . . . definitely getting myself back on track is my highest priority for this month . . . planning two BIG salads daily to keep those ED's and calories low. My weight is currently three pounds higher than my ticker (August was not one of my better months ) and I definitely want to correct that and get some movement in the easterly direction as well -- my ticker does not 'go west'.

Well, got to get myself moving and shaking . Things to do and places to go on this gorgeous day. Hope you are all having a great and 'labourless' Labour Day Weekend, gang . . . see you all soon . . .
Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #4  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Default Tickers DON'T go west

I agree with you, my ticker only moves one way or it doesn't move at all!

Got back last night from my visit with my friend the fabulous cook. I didn't do tooo awfully bad - gained 2 pounds I think. And I ate like a pig, I'll admit it. OD'd on protein I think -- beer can chicken one night, big old steaks yesterday, baked potato and really good bread (did I mention she makes bread too - and not in a breadmaker machine). It was worth gaining back a pound or two. I'll be extra good this week and maybe drop what I gained.

Supposed to be really stormy today in Gulf Coast Texas so I guess I'll do one of my new exercise tapes, clean the house and do the laundry. Back to work tomorrow!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #5  

Probably some of the weight gain is water. Try drinking lots of water to flush out the retained water. I don't know if there is any science behind this idea, but it seems to me that it helps.

Sounds like you had a good time.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

There is definitely science behind that . . . the more water you drink, the more water your system is willing to part with for some reason . . . also works the other way, of course . . . the less water you drink the more your system will retain becaus it's afraid it won't have enough to keep your blood volume at acceptable levels.

Another gorgeous day here -- more seasonal temperatures; low humidity; lots of sunshine -- a really great day for a holiday. Hope everybody else has a great Labour Day, too.

Later . . .
Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #7  

When I went to visit my DS and DIL, a couple of weeks ago, I ate too much. I also had a long, long day going home on the plane because I fly standby. I figured that I would be full of water from eating and sitting, so I made a real effort to drink on the way back. I took an empty water bottle through security, filled it right away and kept filling it, and drinking water when offered on the plane. I only had a couple of cups of coffee, because I usually over-do on that when I travel, too. Anyway, when I weighed myself the morning after I got home, I was exactly the same weight as I was when I left a few days earlier. I attribute this to water drinking. More than you probably wanted to know about me and water .
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #8  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . . another beautiful day . . . and I've got things to do and places to go . . . See you all later . . .
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 AM   #9  

DH brought home a sack full of tamales made by his Mexican friend. Doggone it if I didn't eat one. It just sort of fell into my mouth. It was small, but as far as I know, tamales are pretty much lard with a little meat and corn meal thrown in. Nuts. I need to be more vigilant. Since I am not starving to death on my food plan, I seem to think I can eat anything I want - I know, there's no logic here.

Tomorrow is another day and we are going after PEARS! I did so well on the "peach diet" that I decided to try the "pear diet". Also going to Trader Joe's.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Clock says it's morning . . . is badly needed. Actually more sleep is badly needed, but the will have to do, for now.

Hope the new 'pear-diet' works out for you GAIL. I'm not fond of pears (as compared to my love of other fruits) but will have to get a few since they are plentiful right now.

Hope the day is good for everybody . . . see you later.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #11  

So did you get a couple bushels of pears? What variety are they? I love pears.

Meowee, I like the cat picture. Is that one of the kitties that kept unrolling the t-paper?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #12  
Onward and Downward

No pears for me -- yet -- bet Gail got enough for all of us, though.

That's Purrecious, she's about 18 months old and is the one who is teaching the kittens lots of bad tricks, but they figured out the toilet-paper thing all by themselves. Her biggest contribution (so far) has been teaching them how to open all the kitchen cupboard doors.

It was such a nice picture -- love the orange eyes -- she reminds me of a 'real' version of the cartoon cat that was there before . . . maybe she modelled for the cartoon in a former life.

Well . . . I'm on the way to bed . . . think it's the only way I'm going to warm up. We hit a high of only 16C / 61 F today and with only minimal sunshine. Fall is definitely in the air. Hope it's a little warmer tomorrow.

Night . . . :wave

Last edited by meowee; 09-05-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning everybody . . .

Unfortunately I was up very early again . . . don't know why. At least it is a better looking day -- nice and sunny and a little warmer -- thank goodness.

Have a great day, gang . . . see you later . . .
Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #14  

We got lots of pears and some more peaches at the fruit place. At the grocery we bought cantaloupe and grapes. We went to a new "SuperWal-mart" and to Trader Joe's. I bought a few things that I noticed people recommend on here. If I like any of it, I will report.

For dinner we stopped at Sizzler. I had the salad bar. I indulged with about 1.5 T of blue cheese dressing on my giant salad. I also had about 1/2 cup of soft serve ice cream over a bowl of fresh strawberries.

DH and I figured out that so far this year, between us, we have consumed 60 lbs of peaches!!! Dang, that's a lot of peaches!

I have to say that I feel very fortunate to be able to afford to run all over the country side to buy fruit and special treats for my diet. I hear folks complain that dieting is expensive. I think you can probably diet on a tight budget, but I'm sure it isn't easy or so enjoyable.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #15  

Default Autumn

I sure would like to have a day or two with highs in the 60s! We're still hitting the 90s in Texas. It won't cool down here until Thanksgiving - if then!

I'm being good this week and watching my calories and energy density counts. I'm hoping that my weigh in this weekend will reflect that!
Closed Thread