Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 09:22 PM   #1  
burned out bus driver

Default Stay at Home Mom's #39!

Hi!
Welcome to a thread full of encouragement, support and humor as we share our lives as we restore health, lose weight and raise a family!! We welcome newcomers as well as all of our regulars!

Be sure to go back to SAHM'S #38 to catch up on what has been going on in our lives.

Ginny
Old 04-04-2002, 09:39 PM   #2  
burned out bus driver

Good evening!
Well, I finally threw Dd off this computer long enough for me to clean up email and post. (she has not been all that bad this week, but it sure has been busy keeping her amused and at softball practice!)
The other kids are doing ok, and seem to be somewhat more like their mother (a bit of a homebody) than their older sister is. So at least not as much running around for them. Dd has a game tomorrow at 11, but mind you here in NY state it is not supposed to break 40 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! But fortunately, the game is 2 miles from my favorite Walmart, so at least I can get the shopping done once the game is over.
I had hoped to get some really long walks in this week and have had to suffice with some quickies. Maybe tomorrow morning I will get one in before the game. We have to leave at 9:15 to get there an hour before game time (expecting business traffic).
I hope that Spryngs trip is going well. BTW, what is that Atkins web site? Not that I have had the time to even look at the book! Maybe next week...........
Jackie- the last time you posted it was a short post! (did not think that was possible). Are your kids home this week too?
Still pedalling away there?
Misti- is it still raining cats and dogs by you?
Sheila-I think you were the last one to post on the old thread.
Any clues as to how our guesses were? What about you Jen?
When are we going to divulge our appearances? Maybe I can get my next roll of film downloaded online and import a picture of me. A rather scary thought!!!!!
Well, lets see what else is new. This afternoon I did have a bit of time where everyone was entertained (except for my 6 year old) and she was down because all of her buddies were unavailable. I got out the sewing machine to work on a dress for her (I only started it last year! ). She was great company for that, and even better yet I got to do some sewing. (wish I had more time for that). I should be able to finish the dress for church on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed.
Well, I can babble on and on here......but had better start to slow down and get some sleep. Tomorrow is a long day.
Have a great nite!
Ginny
Old 04-05-2002, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Thumbs down

all

Good Morning, Moms!

First of all, thank you Ginny for opening up a new thread. You beat me to it! About our guesses: Let's wait for Spryng to get back & make her final guess. Today will be my day for the guessing game. I think that would be great for us to post our pictures after we're done with this game. I'll post one if I can figure out how to scan & transfer one! (No promises, okay?) Ginny: FYI: My kids are definitely on spring break this week! Between waiting in line for the computer & carting them around to sleepovers, not too much of a chance to post. Now, you couldn't understand my problem, could you? I've been pretty lucky & obedient when it comes to my pedlin' & I've been able to pedal for an hour just about everyday. I almost didn't last night & hopped on at 10:30 for just 15-20 min. & I ended up staying on for my whole hour! Oh!, by the way...Ginny: How's dd's dress coming along? Is it finished yet? I'm still working on my dd's Milwaukee Bucks Basketball Cheerleading outfit. I started it in October for Halloween & it still isn't finished!! Well, it's day 5 on the Fit For Life program for me. So far the easiest part for me is just eating fruit all a.m. Afternoons & evenings are a little bit more work & I'm trying real hard to balance my proteins with the carbs & starches. This is definitely the hard part!! I've lost 3.5# so far, but part of it was part of a loss from a Easter Dinner gain though. I think I'm on the right track though. Well, here I go with my guessing! Let's see....well, I put my guess in already on how Spryng looks, but sorry gals...I can't post this because I already told you all that my guess was really close. So,I'll move on to Ginny: She has medium brown wavy hair that just hits the collar. Her eyes are light brown or maybe hazel with an oval face. Her complexion is quite rosey, due to all the walking that she does & thanks to this, she doesn't have to wear much makeup. Her eyebrows are very well manicured with a nice arch to them. She works hard at trying to keep a nice, bright smile, so her teeth are in the quite white range. I believe she normally has a pair of tennis shoes on her feet. Now...Misty: She has longer, medium brown, straight hair that she wears tied back or in a French braid. Her hair is a little bit streaked or frosted. She has grey/blue eyes which are quite large & has a narrow face. When it comes to wearing makeup...she's a natural beauty & wears little to nothing during most days, with an exception to special occaisions, she then dolls herself up! She is fair to medium for complexion & she takes stock in facial & body moisturizer & keeps herself very moisturized! Boots are mostly her foot attire. For Gemini Jen: She has blue eyes & either light brown or dark blonde shoulder-length hair that are either naturally curly or permed on a regular basis, which makes them look rather on the "full" side. I picture them to be layered. She has an oval face, with nicely shaped eyebrows. She has a medium complexion that is always moisturized & she can't leave the house unless she puts her makeup on, but looks as natural as possible. She always has a smile on her face, no matter what! I picture her to wear stylish/laced up shoes which go well with her favorite jeans! And Sheila... Short, wavy,collar length dark brown hair & very large dark brown eyes! She has a darker skin tone, fuller eyebrows & thanks to her nice skin tone, she doesn't have to wear much makeup or none at all! She has a nicely rounded face & her eyes are her best feature, which always show a great amount of compassion in them. I picture her to be wearing either a pair of casual loafers or tennis shoes. And Spryng: I'd love to tell you what she looks like, but she already told me that I'm real close on my guess. Well, I think I'm done on the guessing & I sure hope that I haven't missed anyone. I'll go back a few threads just in case I've missed someone that hasn't posted in awhile. Well, DH needs his laptop back, so I'd better sign off for now. Have a great , energetic, OP day today!
Old 04-05-2002, 09:28 AM   #4  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!!!!!!!!
Just a quick hello! Off to Dd's softball game. Thanks for checking in Jackie. Glad that you are off to a great start today.
I got a 40 min walk in it felt so good. Been ok eating too-so far.
Well, gotta fireup those chipmunks that power the van and off to a game! Have a great day.
Ginny
Old 04-05-2002, 10:47 AM   #5  
hangin' in there...

Mornin' Gals!

Jackie... those were some detailed guesses! I'm impressed!

Ginny... hope dd's game goes well. It's cold here in New England, too.

And I hope spryng is having a good trip.... I'll bet she knows we're all thinking of her.

As for me, I finally got back on the bike this morning, after a week's hiatus. I am just starting to feel almost normal after my bout with pneumonia last week, although I still have a bit of a cough, so I didn't push myself and just peddled 20 minutes. It felt really good, though. The good part about being sick was that I didn't have much of an appetite, so no junk. But, I didn't have a great day yesterday. Feeling good about being back on track now, though.

I think it's a good idea to wait til spryng gets back before we reveal our "true" selves. I'm all for posting a pic, and I even have one ready to go.

Have a great day ladies! Jackie and Ginny... spring break is almost over. We have ours week after next! Talk soon...
Old 04-05-2002, 01:35 PM   #6  

Default Having a REAL bad day

OKsince I posted this morning I have had two calls from my docs office
First I have a UTI .. According to the results it is seriously bad..My something that begins with "L" is extremely high so they called a prescription for it..

Secondly the second call was because my Cholesterol levels were also high so I have to go in for a fasting lipid profile

Third I went to get my car inspected . Drove all the way down there and DH had the wrong car registratiuon in it. So I have to call later today to go back..

Fourth DS is still sick as a dog ..

and finally FIFTH ... I weighed myself to find I gained I weigh 261.5 now.. that is a 2.5 GAIN!!!!!!!!!
I am tired as heck due to all the taking care of an entire sick house I havent been able to do my tapes since I have NO energy left over from doing everything .............

THANK G the weekend is upon us!!!! I got all this bad stuff before 12.30 this afternoon . I hope the weekend is better!!!!
I am going to go rest while I have the chencce and call my docs office to set up that test after they get back from lunch

Take Care all
Talk soon
Sheila

Sorry for not talking to you all individually but I dont have the words for being chippy today.. Sorry I will make it up to yall.

PLUS I was supposed to go for and outdoor outing with the family GUESS what it is GONNA be freezing so the plans are cancelled!!! Snow expected for sunday as well... CAN THIS DAY GET WORSE?????
Old 04-05-2002, 09:03 PM   #7  
SAHM Cheerbabe

Sheila hang in there hon. I feel for you. Total sympathy. Please take care of yourself and try to rest. Let us know how the rest of the doctor visits go. Don't sweat the gain either. You are under incredible stress. It will fall off when things get back to "normal" and you can return to your routine. We arre all pulling for you. Don't let the gain ruin all of your wonderful motivation. Remember You ae going to do this, like you said.

Ginny and Jackie, I'm still amazed at how you two do it all. And seem to keep your sanity intacted. So proud to know there are mothers out there who really still care. I was touched by the sewing and all. Okay I'm alittle sappy tonight. My mother was always to uptight to sew. My grandmother did those things for us. I still have a few things she made for me in my hope chest. Your children are blessed to have you. Keep up the fantastic weight loss too.

Spryng incase you get to read this post when you return, I hope you have a safe trip. Enjoy it, you deserve a good time. And you are missed.

Gemini, I really hope you are feeling 100% soon. Please be careful and don't overdo it.

Everyone it is good to see you all posting and supporting one another. Keep it up!

Misty
Old 04-05-2002, 11:11 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Ladies!

Well, I managed to make it thru one more "Fit For Life" day today. Today was day 5 on the plan & I can say two things about it: 1.) It works & I'm losing 2.) It's been a tough 5 days, but I love the reward in the end!! I got on the scale again this a.m. & I'm down another pound! So, between the Slim Fast a few weeks back & the plan I'm following now, I'm down a total of 6#. Now...the real challenge is to keep it off for life & then some! My friend talked me into a body pump class @ the "Y" today. Instead of an hour on the bike, I pumped iron for an hour! Most of it I was able to handle until it came to the leg squats, now that was tough! I'm sure I'll feel like I climbed off a horse in a few days. Well, spring break is just about over for the kids. It's been nice, but I'm looking forward to some "Me" time next week! I felt like I was an Airport Limo Service with all of these sleepovers. If I have to look at one more suitcase & sleeping bag after tomorrow, I think I'll go nuts! Now Misty: You may think that I have it all together, but I don't! I really admire these women that seem to have it all together.
The women with not one hair out of place, who get out of their imaculate cars & into thier eat off the floor homes! My friend that is a lot like me said that these women must be lacking it somewhere! When I do my sewing projects, the rest of the house falls apart. Unless I pull an all nighter @ the sewing machine & try to focus the next day & try & compete with a normal day. I a lot of times feel like one big failure! Thanks for thinking that I have it all together. Sheila: I feel so sorry for you right now. Just remember..there are better days ahead for you. I always think of that one song that says: "It takes a little time sometimes, to get your feet back on the ground. So hold on for just one more day!" I think either Amy Grant or Carle Wilson sings it. I'm not sure on that though. I'll count you in on my prayers tonight, okay? When you don't feel good, it's sure draining on you isn't it? Just try & pamper yourself & don't forget to drink tons of water & down that cranberry juice! Don't worry about the weight gain right now, as this might be your bodies way of trying to fight the infection off. Just keep flushing your bod with water! I again hope & pray for you & your family to get well. Jen: My guesses may be quite detailed, but I sure wonder how accurate they are. I'm glad to hear that you are getting better. I'm sorry that I didn't give you any formal get well wishes in the past week. I guess I just read thru the posts & tried to post something as fast as I could. So, sorry again that I didn't wish you well the way that I should have. And my advice goes out to you too-Keep downing that water by the tons, it does your body good! Don't over do it on the bike either, otherwise you will be back in bed & feeling really crummy again. And for the pic that you are saving for us, I can't wait. I'm still debating if I should take some pictures of myself, or go dig for one in my rubbermaid boxes. I can't wait to see how good or how bad that my guesses were. Ginny: Thanks for checking in with us. I hope you had a safe & "sane" day with softball today. So...what did you buy @ your favorite WalMart Store today? Did you run out of money? I'm surprised that you were able to fit in a 40 min. walk this a.m. too. You are doing such a super job, keep it up girl!
I still can't believe on how much weight that you have lost in the past year. I'm jealous!! Well, I guess I'd better get going. DD & DH just noticed that I'm missing & in no time soon, they will be heading for the basement to come get me. I guess it's bedtime here & they want me to tuck them into bed & of course snuggle time with my DH! Have a great weekend, everyone!
Old 04-06-2002, 09:41 AM   #9  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!!
Another busy day ahead of me.......I hope to get on again later and leave personal responses.
Dd's game was COLD- they lost 1-0. But she pitched a great game. Her school is "class D"- (smallest in size) and the other team is "class AA" (HUGE- 5000+ students). A real David and Goliath challenge. That they lost 1-0, and the one run was from an error is wonderful. She has much to be proud of.

Real quick- thanks so much to all of you who left such kind "guesses" as to what I look like. What touches me is that you have left personality comments..........and they are so sweet.
Thanks for being great friends. BTW- Jackie you are right about one thing! I LIVE in my walking shoes........blow thru a pair every 3-4 months.

Sheila- feel better and hang in there!

Jen- sounds like things are looking up for you a bit- everyone feeling better?

Misti- how are you doing? You did not mention much about yourself, everything going ok?

Jackie who wins todays award for the longest post- great job on the weight loss!!! I am so happy for you- as I know how you have struggled since Hawaii! Congrats on being fit for life!

Dh and I got out early this am, 6:15 for our cholesterol check.
Mine will not be too good (chocolate)- so this will be a good time to get serious about it. (Sheila- I have lots of good ways to get cholesterol down, and will discuss later).
Gotta go.
Have a great day!
Ginny
Old 04-06-2002, 10:37 AM   #10  
hangin' in there...

Mornin' girls!

Jackie, what are you apologizing for??? Don't ever think that you are not supportive! I love coming here and reading what each of you has to say, whether it's addressed to me, personally, or not. That, in itself, is supportive. And as for your guess, well... I think everyone has guessed about me, so I'll say you were way off! But, your detail was still impressive!

Sheila, hang in there, hon. As bad as it may be right now, keep in mind that it actually COULD get worse, and be thankful that it isn't. I know that's a very hard attitude to take, and I can't say that I am good about being thankful when I'm in the pits, but it really does sometimes help if you can be thankful for what you do have. Then, it makes what's going wrong in your life seem that much more manageable. I just know things will look up for you soon.

Misty, glad to see you. How's the weather? Are you guys baled out? I will echo Ginny and ask, how are YOU???

Ginny, good luck with the cholesterol check. I haven't had mine done in a long time... I am way overdue for a general physical, actually. Perhaps I should make it my goal next week to find a doc and make an appointment. Glad to hear dd's game went pretty well... sounds like they put up a real fight.

Busy weekend for me... family time today and work tomorrow. Hope everyone is well. Talk to you all Monday...
Old 04-07-2002, 09:40 AM   #11  

Question

Good Morning!

Granny here! "Well, at least I feel like one for the past 2 days!" That body pump class that I took on Friday has really left me feeling quite laim! This is one great sign that I know it's doing something for my bod! Hmmn...I wonder if I'm gaining muscle already? I hopped on the scale this a.m. & was up 2#!
I've been faithfully staying OP, drinking my water & of course you can see that I'm exercising. I'll hold on for a week or so before I get discouraged because it may take that long for my muscles to adjust to the water retention that's supposingly "Plumping UP" my muscles! Let's see about that! Jen: I'm sure glad that you aren't mad at me. I guess my insecure nature is showing
through again! I'm still working extremely hard in that category yet! Maybe a few more self-help tapes will take care of that. And for my guess: I did at first guess you as a sun-tanned blue eyed blonde, but I changed my guess because I was associating you with a gal at the "Y" named Jen. I thought that I'd go to the opposite extreme! Now I'm really wondering what you look like & I'll wait patiently for you to post a picture. Ginny: I'm sure with all of your walking that you are doing, the cholesterol numbers sure have to drop! Keep us posted, ok? And for my guess: I know for sure I got the walking shoe part right, but I'm sure wondering how I did with the rest of my guess.
Okay, I'll wait 'til Spryng returns. Seeing that your dd is in softball, did you go see "The Rookie" yet? DH & I took our dd on Friday & we really liked it. Sheila: I sure hope that your spirits leave you feeling good today. I just finished up saying another prayer for you! It felt good to pray for someone else rather than for my "greedy" self, if you know what I mean! Spryng: I hope that your trip home today is a safe one, as we all miss you a great deal! We'll try to wait patiently for your return. Misty: I hope you're enjoying the weekend. It's raining here in WI, so hopefully it has all isolated over here so that you don't have to deal with so many muddy clothes that your dh so gracefully hands to you! Well, I guess I'd better get going & start my busy day. I'm skipping church today & will try my best to go to the Monday eve. service. I'm starting to feel kind of sad that the kids spring break ends tonight & that they will all be in school tomorrow. Am I crazy, or what? I guess a little guilt is seeping through! Time to get the laundry started again. TTFN
Old 04-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #12  

Thank you everyone for letting me vent.. I just didnt have no one to gripe to at home so I had to go somewhere..
Things are MUCH Better in almost everyway .. DS is still kinda run down BUT he is getting over it.. I actually got outside yesterday and did 1..5 hours of yard work..I still have alot more to do but if I do some it is less the next time around..
Freckles Took me a few minutes to think of the song you referred to then it hit me!! Wilson Phillps .. I have their CD somewhere that was always my favorite song.. Kinda words to live by.. Thanks for reminding me it helped BIG TIME!!!And thanks for the prayers as well you never know the power a prayer has..
Gemini You are right THINGS could have been worse you werent being hard in any way . I just sometimes forget to take a different veiw of things especially when they all hit at once..Thanks for reminding me there are alot of things that would make my little things look like a cake walk..
ECMOM Congrats on your DD game.. As long as the team gave it everything they had she should be proud!How did your Cholesterol test come out.. It might not be as bad as you think..OH NO did you say chocolate has cholesterol?? SHOOT ME NOW!!!!!! I already know what my doc will say stop eating the steaks and choloate and having half and half in my coffee and drink more grapefruit juice and take garlic pills with alot of water or apklecider vinegar with water (that sounds GROSS) but if you know of any lower cholesterol ideas just let me know.. My email addy is :Sheilas Email Addy this is for everyone I dontremember if I actually ever put it up in any of my posts before
Well when can we see how close our guesses were??? I am dying to find out if I was even halfway close to any...
Well all I better get my rear in gear and do something before I get a computer butt (__I___) that would be a bad thing since I already have a duck butt..LOL
Take Care all
talk again soon
Sheila

Last edited by sheila061968; 04-08-2002 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:07 PM   #13  

Hello!

Sheila: Glad to see that you are feeling better! Thanks for correcting me on the singing group to the song that I told you about. All I could remember was "Wilson" & I knew it was another name that went with it. See....you did hang on for just one more day & things did get better!

To the rest of you: I just started my 2nd week on the Fit For Life program. It's a tough one & I'm hoping by week 3 it's habit forming & my cravings go away. The family had pizza for dinner last night & I decided to have 1 piece. If I didn't join them, I was afraid of going into a deep depression because I felt so food deprived. The plan did say that if you do just fruit in the a.m. that would be fine for starts. Thank goodness, otherwise I would of been depressed because I cheated! It's a win-lose situation, huh? To compensate for the pizza I will try & pedal more this week. Maybe 10 min. more each day to balance out for the slice of pizza. Well, not much time to post. My FIL is in rough shape & who knows how long he will last. He has so much wrong with him & now his heart is only working 1/3 of what it should be. He has congested heart failure, a pace maker, diabetes, prostrate cancer, is almost blind, has arthritis & so much more that I can't even remember. We have to take him for a breath test this aft. because he can hardly breath.
So...I'd better go & finish up my chores & get ready to take him.
I'll check back later & when we see a post from Spryng we can reveal what we look like. TTFN!

Last edited by Freckles; 04-08-2002 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:23 PM   #14  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
I have emerged from the missing...................still missing a lot of marbles but here in spirit ( 'cause the mind is shot).

Sheila- I am so glad that you are doing better! Vent here all you want or need to, we love you and this is most definitely a safe haven. Bet that yard work felt good! It is a great way to let go of some stress. I do that a bit when I get house happy or really wacked out about how awful the house looks or how wierd my kids get............ Anyway! On to cholesterol. You have it right with the garlic and cutting out the half and half. Just a few hints. Instead of half and half try making powdered skimmed milk double strenght. It usually calls for 1/3 cup of powdered milk to a cup of water. So use 2/3 cup of powder to 1 cup of water.
And make the night before so that it can "age". Ok, it is not half and half but does not taste bad at all. I have been doing that for a whilel and even my Dh (son of a dairy farmer) does not mind it most of the time. Another one- yes oatmeal works. Of course watch out for cheese- and any fatted dairy product. I hear that those margarines (Take Control and there is another one that my lone brain cell is having a tough time remembering) also work.
Try to stay off of drugs (and I worked for a drug company!) There are natural ways to get the cholesterol down and unless you are one of those who are genetically predispositioned to have high cholesterol it is best to try it on your own.

Jackie- Amy Grant also recorded that song you mentioned for Shelia. You are an angel with all you do for you FIL. Forgive me for forgetting, how old is he? Is Dh on the road this week? And how is MIL holding up with FIL being so sick? I will keep all of you in prayer for healing and God's grace. WTG on week 2 of FIt for life! And resisting the pizza (I did not do that!). You are doing great ! Hope that those sore muscles are subsiding a bit!
No, we did not see the Rookie yet. Ds did not want to see it (reminded him of all the softball we sit thru...........) so we went to see Ice Age instead.

As for me, life continues to be kooky. (So what else is new?)
Dd (6) has a temperature (100) so will most likely be home from school tomorrow. Dd is crabby..............so what else is new....... but at least she was sort of pleasant this evening.........sort of.
Ds! Ah, it is spring and he is galloping at full speed into his spring achedemic slump! Came home crabby- and then got upset when I asked about how school was. Then I saw the 61 on his math test (which he was trying to hide while watching TV).
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr He is going on a class trip to Washington DC, leaving Wednesday (6 am) returning Friday nite.Well, I will miss him- but not this nonsense. For 3 days the homework gestapo will have the day off! Gosh I hate the way we fight over homework. And now that he is 13- he thinks that he knows it all.............and of course I have less brains than a worm.............. And I continue to preach to those of you with little ones- love those little babies and toddlers to death!!!!!
Nuff of me bellyaching!
Good thing that Jackie and I live half a country away. I sew just like her, in the middle of the night.............until done or I drop!
If we lived across the street from each other it might be dangerous.
Guess that I had better get some sleep. I did get a 40 min walk in today. My eating was fair...........improving.......but still not great. I hope that tomorrow is better.
Sleep tight! Don't let the bed bugs bite!
Ginny
Old 04-08-2002, 10:27 PM   #15  
burned out bus driver

Me again!
Thanks for putting up with all my misspellings in the last post. I am just too pooped to find and fix them all........
One thing I forgot!!!!!!!!!!!
As far as my appearance all of you missed one thing that I feel safe to add. That is the permenantly stressed/deranged look plastered on my face!!!!!
Gotta go............nighty nite.
Ginny
Closed Thread