Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Default Frustrated - shouldn't I be losing faster?

Today was weigh day. Weighing makes me crazy in general so I've limited it to once a month. I am also taking picture and measuring (which I haven't done yet today but will.)

In 3 weeks, I have only dropped 1.5 kg/3 pounds. I just keep thinking I should be able to lose 2 pounds per week given that I have over 100 pounds to lose. I am charting my food (acurately) each day and keeping it at an average of about 1600 (range of 1400 to 1800, bouncing around aka Wendy style). I do some kind of cardio 5 days a week/60 minutes per session, alternating between laps, aqua aerobics (at higher intensity), treadmill & bike intervals. I also have been doing pilates/ball work 3-4 days a week. I have been doing this exercise schedule for nearly 2 months now.

My caloric range seems reasonable, perhaps even on the low end for my current weight. I don't want to drop it too low. I am on high blood pressure medication which I suppose could be contributing to the slower weight loss. Do I just suck it up and accept that I've stuffed up my metabolism and be happy with a one pound weight loss per week, knowing that it will take years to get to my goal? Oh, that makes me feel very frustrated.

Thanks for listening. I know I'm just going to keep plugging along - I truly feel so much better and it's not like my fit and healthy plan is painful or difficult. I think I just get frustrated when I look at the numbers and the big pictures. Maybe I need to just keep my eyes on today.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

I can relate to your frustration. After I first started posting here, I was exercising, watching portions, etc. And I gained 5 pounds. I was ready to throw in the towel. But I stuck it out. A couple of weeks...nothing. I was still 5 pounds over where I started. But I kept on and then, like magic, 7 pounds were gone. Seemingly overnight. One thing I have learned since then is that many of us here experience the scale moving in a way that we think is odd. Or even crazy. Also, many had experienced inch loss even if the scale is stubborn. There's no right or wrong answer. We're all different and each of us loses in different patterns, ways, etc. Please dont let this frustrate you into giving up. It could be that your body is just starting out stubborn. Keep after it. Even if the pace does stay the same, and never increases, just think where you'll be 6 months from now, or a year from now, compared to where you'll be if you give up.
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Your plan sounds pretty good to me although personally I really wouldn't lose very fast at the high end of your calorie range.

While some people take a while for the weight to start dropping off, it's also possible that you're putting on some muscle as well. The scale might not move as fast but do your clothes seem looser?

It sounds like you're pretty committed which is great. Keep doing the right things and the weight will come off.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Congratulations on your 3 lbs lost. You are off to a great start. 1 lb a week is a nice steady pace. Just think where you'll be a year from now.

There's no way to know for sure if you'll continue at this pace. It may decrease, and it just may INcrease. Chances are it won't stay the same week to week, even if you do the same exact thing.

I know how anxious you are to have the weight come off quicker, but try not to focus on the speed at which you are losing. Try focusing on changing your habits from bad ones to good ones. Adding in healthy foods and elminating bad ones. These are changes that you want to last forever. So if your weightloss happens a little slower then you'd like, so be it. Stick with it. It WILL happen. Creating a deficit DOES result in weightloss.

I'm just curious though, what TYPES of foods are you eating? I know it's calories in vs. calories out, but my experience has been the healthier the food, the quicker the weightloss. More fiber and protein, less carbs and sweets.

Another thing you mentioned, you want to weigh only once a month. Obviously we all have to do what we feel is best for ourselves, but, I wonder if once a month will allow you to see if what you're doing is indeed "working". Just a thought.

You might also want to add a bit of strength training to that hefty exercise scheduele of yours. I use a simple resistance band and have found it very beneficial.

Be proud of yourself. You are doing GREAT!!!! Hang in there. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a larger drop in a week or so. Us humans are funny like that.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I think you're doing great. If you continue 1 lb per week by this time next year you'll be down 52lbs--WOW! Through my many years of dieting I've learned slow and steady does win the race. I've been on diets where I've lost 40 lbs in like 3 mths by staving myself and in the end I would gain it back each time and then some. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll do fine!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm just curious though, what TYPES of foods are you eating? I know it's calories in vs. calories out, but my experience has been the healthier the food, the quicker the weightloss. More fiber and protein, less carbs and sweets.
I agree. When I limit myself to one or two fruits a day and no more than 2 whole grains a day, I lose more weight. I also eat a serving of protein with every meal and snack and I eat some type of vegetable with all three meals...for lunch and dinner, I have two servings of vegetables and I have a glass of V8 with breakfast. I don't eat any white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, white bread or corn. I limit my bananas to one or two a week and I never eat watermelon or pineapple. This is Southbeach and it works for me.

For a long time, I was unable to lose weight after the initial week on any diet....Jenny Craig, point plan on Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, Dr.Phil's..even Slim Fast. My doctor did some test and I'm insulin resistant. She said that many menopausal women develop this. I still struggle for every single pound lost, but at least I can lose now.

I've found that not many people can understand how hard it is to try so hard and not lose. For most people, it really is a simple case of calories consumed versus calories expended. For some of us, its also a case of types of calories. If I eat too many fruits or grains, my weight loss stalls or I gain even if I stay within my 1600-1800 calorie range. I really hope you find your answers. Please don't give up. Maybe you will be like others and the weight will start dropping off rapidly in the near future.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #7  

I feel the same weigh (haha!)... I have no suggestions really, because I'm trying to answer the same question myself.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #8  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

First, you are doing so much RIGHT! You are limiting calories and making sure you exercise. EXCELLENT!! I agree with the others in that it may be case of what you're eating. I try to get at least 5 servings of fruit and veggies in per day, sometimes as many as 8 servings. I try to have protien with each meal as it keeps me full longer, and I limit sweet stuff. While these things work for me, it may be different for you. 3 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! You are above the 1/2 pound per week that is considered normal for some. Yes, at that rate it will take a while to lose the weight, but that time is going to pass whether you're watching what you eat or not....may as well make the most of it! Before you were on plan you could have very easily GAINED those 3 pounds, plus more, during the last month! Take your time and keep doing what you're doing, you'll get there!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 PM   #9  

Hey thanks everyone for your support! I spent about 10 minutes having a mini-pity party and then I moved on.

There were several things said that I'm going to try......I was cleared from my MD this morning to start strength training (BP issue is resolving) so plan to sign up for 10 sessions with a personal trainer.

My eating is quite healthy (100 gms protein, 20-25 gms fiber, less than 30% fat, 2 fruits, 5+ veg) but I think I'll change up the type of fruit/veg and see if that makes a difference. I'll give the banana's and white stuff a miss for awhile and see where that leads me. I've pretty much stopped eating cheese of any kind and limited wine to 2 glasses per week. I'm really striving to not get into 'diet' mentality so I don't want to have any NEVER foods....maybe just LESS FREQUENT foods.

On the success side....I did measure after I posted and I have lost inches. In 5 weeks, I've reduced 1 inch from my hips and 1 & 1/2 inches from my waist so that is fab. And truly, the bottom line is that I do feel so much better, irregardless of what I've lost. And, my ecocardiogram came back that I have a healthy heart and my BP is dropping so all in all, I am a very grateful person today and I thank you all for being here!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I think you also need to remember the old "muscle weighs more than fat" theory. I run into this sometimes when I crank up my activity. I'll lose inches but the scale will stall. I think the world is coming to an end, but then that other thing "muscle burns more calories than fat" kicks in and I see the result on the scale. One pound a week truly is a good thing and I'm betting if you stay consistent and keep pushing your heart rate up with exercise, you'll really start to see an increase in weight loss.

And I do agree with the crowd - quality of calories is important. I don't know if it's just easier for your body to let go of fat when it's getting good healthy calories or what, but eating better makes it easier.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 AM   #11  

I, too, agree with so much of what has already been said. It sounds like you're doing fabulous with both action and attitude. You said that your doctor cleared you for strength training, so my suggestion may not be useful at all, but my first thought was that you might have some physical challenge that is ******ing your weight loss. I know that thyroid function and PCOS are challenges that some women on this forum face, and it might be worthwhile to get these checked out if you haven't yet. I also second Robin's recommendation of considering increasing your scale watch to get a better idea of how effective certain aspects of your plan are. I know that I am constantly tweaking - and the scale is an important part of doing that effectively. Might be worth a shot, if the benefits would outweigh whatever reason you're choosing not to consult it. Still - it is what it is. You sound satisfied with your new lifestyle for its own sake, so maintaining it should not be a hardship if you end up just losing slowly and steadily. How easy will maintenance be then?
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #12  

Height: 5' 3"

Hey Kris - Your measurement loss sounds great. I got kinda the reverse issue. In 4 weeks, I lost 9 1/2 lbs but only 1 inch off my waist. It really does sound like you have built up some muscle. As you know, that will slow the scale loss, but not your measurement loss. You are doing great. (I need to exercise more.)
GingerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #13  

Thanks again everyone for your support and encouragement. It means so much.

I'm off to read about insulin resistance. MD checked thyroid 2 months ago and all was fine.

Scale issue.....it just makes me so crazy. ) Whether I'm up or down, I seem to react negatively to it. Either up or down, I'm at risk to celebrate by eating OR beating myself up. I agree though, it would be easier to determine what is working and not working if I could use the scale as a tool rather than as gauge of my worth. I'm going to give it another month of monthly weigh-in and see how it goes.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #14  

I have lost 47 and it is my conclusion that my scale is wrong most of the month. That isn't *the scale* but what it says due to sodium; hormones; and even humidity most of the month my scale is about 3 to 5 lbs too high. So when people say *I am not losing as I should* they need to know they actually are but they aren't seeing it show up on the scale. Of course this is assuming you don't have a physical problem and you are eating little enough for a calorie deficit.

I even have made up a faux name for it "reason x" which causes you to seem more heavy than you should be. I admit I am not 100% sure as to what it is. I tend to see a large woosh around TOM for just a few days and then over many weeks I bounce around. It is like I am chipping away at a large mountain. It does eventually come off but each chip can be big or large and you have no idea what exactly causes a large chip to come off the mountain.

That is why you have to be patient -- the results are not always immediately clear.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote