Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:15 AM   #1  

Question Polar watch dead

Good morning

I think my Polar F6 HRM watch has died...it was working fine when i started my workout yesterday, and at one point when I looked down at it, the screen was blank...the transmitter strap was still working, as the heart rate readout appeared on both the elliptical and treadmill that I used...
Does anyone know how much it would be to send it to Polar to replace the battery, if that's what's wrong.....I actually like the F4 made for a woman, which may have less features, but is so much more comfortable on my little wrist, so maybe I should spring for a new one?

Thanks
VeggieGirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #2  
Meg

Yep, it's probably the battery if it's blank. My display froze last week and I got it working again by resetting it but the screen wasn't blank. Anyway, when I was reading the instruction manual, it said that you can take it to a watch repair place or jeweler for a new battery but it will no longer be waterproof. Or you can mail it into them for an official repair. Is it still under warranty? If not, I don't know how much it costs, but Mel just sent hers in and maybe she can tell you. Or perhaps it's on their website: www.polarusa.com?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #3  

Thanks Meg...I will take it to the jeweler for a new battery...the waterproof stuff is not that important to me...of course I may treat myself to the smaller F4 too
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 AM   #4  

I am not sure how much it costs because I found out a Polar repair place is down the street from my work so I could probably drop it off.

I tried to do the first one i owned myself and I broke it, you do need the right tools because there are clips inside that break very easily
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #5  
Mel

It cost $17.25 to have POLAR do it. I took mine to several jewelers who all said they couldn't do it because of the specialized tool that is required to get the battery in. The back is easy to take off- but then POLAR has a lock on the putting it back together phase.

Mine was done in June. I didn't try using it until last week (long story- I'd loaned it to a family member who decided it was far too complicated for her and never used it) and it doesn't work. It tells me my resting heart rate is 36-37 and 89 when I'm in the middle of a drenching run. It's going back to POLAR next week

Despite their great reviews, I wouldn't buy a POLAR again. My battery only lasted about 2 years, and I only used it infrequently for spinning classes. I know it's on all the time, but I really didn't get my money's worth.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #6  

Thanks Mel for the info

I'm curious...if you don't buy a polar, what would you buy? I looked at the Timex IronMan I think it was but was not sure if I'd have the same battery changing issue...
Old 09-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #7  

It's easy to change the batteries for a Timex Ironman yourself. (You can get the batteries at Radio Shack or at a big drugstore.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I bought my Timex Ironmna 4 months ago. I especially bought it becasue you can change the batteries yourself or at least at a jeweller. The problem is that it's already wonky. My max heart rate is now 220 and my resting is 30. Hmmm... Maybe I just got a dud?!

I had my Polar four about 5 years before it ever needed a battery. I'm thinking my next purchase will be a Polar.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote