General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Does anyone have a home based business?

I am so sick of my job! This is not a new thing for me, I have been a RN for almost 8 years and it was a complete and total mistake. I have had thoughts of other things I could do with my training and background but right now a lot of those areas require a university degree. I started working on it awhile back but let it slack. I just don't have the drive to get it, I have no interest in continuing on in this field regardless of what the job is. Don't get me wrong, I do a good job when I am at work but there is no joy in it, I'd like to have one of those jobs where I can get up in the morning looking forward to my work.

Anyway that little whine has led to my question about home based businesses. It is just something I have had in my head for awhile, I'm not anywhere near starting anything and I know it will be a lot of work but if I find something that is interesting and fun I'll know that it is worth it. So my question is to those of you who have home based businesses....well everything! How did you get started? What do you sell or what service do you provide, how do you market yourself, are you making any money at it? why did you decide on that particular product or service? Any info you can give me would be really helpful. Please PM me if you don't want to provide too much info here. You don't need to go into a lot of detail because somethings like business licenses etc will be different from place to place but just general info would be great.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #2  

I'm a medical transcriptionist from my home -- it works pretty well, especially since I have two small kids. I actually took a certifcate program after high school and worked in the medical field for the past 15 years, before I had kids. I would think with your nursing, you would have most of the terms down just need the typing

I subcontract through another company for the work, they find the doctors I work for and send me the work -- that way if I need a day off for the kids or go on vacation, they have to take care of the work. However, in November I will be going on my own -- which will give me more money since I won't have to split with them.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #3  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

My friends sister does med transcription at home too. She loves it and makes plenty of money. I was thinking about getting my Associates degree in it - I would love to work from home.
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #4  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Yeah there are also like "party" type business's like avon, mary kay, Lia Sophia (jewelry), there are "Purse Party" companies and more. If you are looking for something like that, there are plenty. I would suggest you find something you are passionate about. If you want to be "independant" or an "employee" of a company...there is a BIG difference. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #5  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

ohhh - i did Princess House Parties (crystal) It was fun and I did a good job - i have the personality for it - i just did not like all the driving.
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #6  
Jen

Oh no, I could never do anything like a party. I've been to those and thought they were super boring so there is no way I could host one. I DON'T have the personality for it. Frankly also I don't really want a ton of strangers in my house and I know dh would not want that either. Even hosting one at someone else's house would not be what I would want to do either. I was rather thinking along the lines of some making some sort of craft, something involving flowers or herbs or sewing and marketing at farmers markets, crafts shows etc. My SIL is looking into web marketing so it might be something I could sell on her web site someday as well.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

We could use an RN where I work do ya like small town living

I ebay a little bit but shipping will just about do you in. Have you read the testimonials at ebay.ca? You might get some inspiration there.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

My parents have a home business and they work for themselves. The problem? No vacation time (ever, its the nature of their business. 7 days a week, 365 days a year!) and very expensive health insurance. BUT, they LOVE working for themselves and would have it no other way!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #9  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

I tried to do freelance writing as a home business. My problem was that I don't have the outgoing "salesman" personality required to drum up new business. That's one thing to keep in mind... as a business owner, you have to do it all. Advertising, billing and collections, mind-numbing income tax forms, and all the other grunt work. Setting a fair price for your work which includes all those details can be a challenge.

Many, many people are successful at self-employment. Just be sure and research all the little details before jumping in with both feet.

BTW, I closed my business after a year. I had only 1 paying customer that entire time.
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote