Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 10:37 AM   #1  

Thumbs down Body for Life #48

Hi everyone!

How are we doing midweek? I'm doing okay. I too put a daily walk back into my program. My daughter is back on track so we are walking to school as soon as I finish posting this! I love walking once I get to do it.

MrsJim: can you explain your supersets? How many reps? Is it 15/15 of two different exercises?

How is everyone doing???????????????
Susan
Old 04-03-2002, 12:34 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Supersets...

Hi Susan. Wow, a new thread already! We are smokin'!!!

With supersets, well, the reps really depend on the exercise. Sometimes I'll do the 15/12/10/8 routine, sometimes I'll add a drop set of 12 reps to the end if I feel up to it. For legs I usually do two sets of 15 or 12 reps. Actually I did legs today as follows:

Superset - Seated leg curls/leg extensions - 15 reps each @ 55#; 15 reps each @ 65#; 11 reps each @70#.

Superset - Back squat in cage(weight listed does not include bar)/Lunges on Smith machine: 15 reps of squats @120# followed by 15 reps each side lunges @ 100#; 12 reps squats @140# and 12 reps each side lunges @120#.

Superset - Dumbbell straight-leg deadlifts/Alternating lunges (DB weights shown are the amount in each hand): 15 reps Deadlifts @ 35#; 15 reps lunges @27.5#; 12 reps deadlifts @37.5#; 12 reps lunges @30#

Superset - Leg Press squats/leg press calves: 18 reps each @270#; 15 reps each @360#; 12 reps each @450#; 11 reps each @500#. (I also changed my foot position for each set).

Finished off with two sets each of 30 reps - pelvic tilts and inner thigh squeezes using the Swiss ball (45 cm). Then lots of stretching and I'm outta there

Later everyone!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default hi all

good morning ladies (well it is here anyway )

Did my LBWO last night and got to 220lbs on the quad press. I'm pretty happy about that for only my second time, but The weight of it pressing me down into the "seat" actually hurt my lower back. (I have problems with my tail bone hurting when I lie on the floor etc)

My car is in the shop at the moment so I missed my cardio the day before - and I'm not sure about today - I might just have to go for a walk to make sure I get something in.

My husband and I both missed workouts (not by choice) and last night we were both desperate to get to the gym and workout! so strange! Our bodies were hungry for it - I like that feeling.

Anyway I must run - catch you all later.
Carly
Old 04-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #4  

Angry Hi Everyone!

Well as mentioned before I'm in the final 4 week stretch of C1 .

I changed up my routine this past week and today I did my LBWO. I just finished a 4wk routine of DBsquats for my quads with a final 12 of leg extensions.

I'm now back to leg extensions with a final 12 of squats. It was tough going (I've increased my max weight from 15lbs at W1 to 65lbs now!). I think the squats had alot to do with that. Anyway the leg extensions don't give me the same kind of sore feeling after (never thought I'd miss that) and I don't pour sweat like I do when I do squats. I'm wondering if I should go back to the squats for the final 4 weeks or is it better to change your routine? Or are leg extensions just a different beast? The same seems to hold true for the lying leg curls (hammies) and the DB deadlifts.

Any advice?
Old 04-03-2002, 04:31 PM   #5  
Mel

Default Falling down tired!

Well, that's how I'm doing. Seems like rest week didn't really affect the amount of weight I can lift, but it sure zapped my endurance. Each day I come home from the gym like a zombie, not quite sure how I managed driving.

MrsJim- Thanks for the leg routine. I need to change mine. Maybe I'll try yours next time. Do you work calves the same day as quads and hams?

Thunderheart- I always keep squats in my LBWO routine, both "regular" squats and hack squats. I may drop out the hack squats for a few weeks to add more lunges, but the regular squats do so much for me that I'd never drop them out. you can change them with foot position to hit different parts of your quads. Just MHO!

Carps- maybe putting a towel behind the small of your back would help take the pressure off your tailbone when doing leg presses. I don't have problems with the leg press, but need to do that with lying squats. Worth a try....

mel
Old 04-03-2002, 04:46 PM   #6  

Angry Thanks Mel

I should have mentioned that I work out at home - can you do those hack squats at home? I thought there was a machine for that. I also changed them because my right knee was giving me problems, but maybe if I switch my foot position this might help.

One more thing. I need new shoes soon. I currently wear New Balance anti-pronation shoes and insert my othotics in them. I've heard you girls talk about Saucony's (sp?). Do you know if they make them in anti-pronation?

Full of questions today eh?
Old 04-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #7  
Mel

Default Shoes and hack squats

Thunderheart- There is a way to do hack squats with a free bar, but I never could get it right, just kept bumping my butt! Definitly not the same as with the machine. I don't know about who makes what kind of sho, but if you look at www.roadrunnersports.com, you should be able to get your questions answered. You might not want to buy on=line, but you'll know what to go look for.

mel
Old 04-03-2002, 07:08 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mel - Generally I work calves the same day I work shoulders and abs. Those sets of calves on the leg press are just a 'throw in'. My calves can take a LOT of punishment without getting sore - my calf workout on shoulder/ab/calf days right now is as follows:

Rotary Calf Machine - 2 sets of 20 reps @ 90#
2 sets of 15 reps @ 125#

Seated Calf Machine - 1 set of 20 @ 90# (not my favorite exercise because of that pad on top of my thighs...)

Standing Calf Machine - 2 sets of 20 @ 240#; 3 sets of 15 @ 340#

I try to spend a lot of time in the 'heels down' position since I think it makes me a better rider (English horseback riding that is). The calf muscles are very important in giving the horse aids (signals) and my heels have a tendency to drift up a bit in the stirrups...

Thunderheart - I do the same as Mel as far as squats - they're ALWAYS in my routine - I just position my feet differently each time I change routines...
Old 04-03-2002, 08:00 PM   #9  

You know, I had this feeling that I should keep the squats. Now on to another question. How do you place your feet in a different position? Are they supposed to be wider or at a different angle? The four weeks I just finished, I had them shoulder width apart and at a slight angle outward. Come to think of it, I remember checking out that link that you gave MrsJim - KristaSmash? I remember her saying something about how women should stand wider because of our hips - my hips are definitely wide! Maybe that's what is bothering my knee.

I think I'll go back and check out that link but feel free to comment. By the way, she bears a strong resemblance to Juliette Lewis - don't ya think?

Thanks for the link on the shoes Mel! I think I'm done with questions for today - thanks so much for your help!
Old 04-03-2002, 10:05 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default According to Arnold...

From "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" (BTW - I highly recommend purchasing this to ALL BFLers and folk interested in weightlifting - the advice generally fits men AND women).
Quote:
(pages 493-495):

For specific problem areas I recommend the following leg exercises:

Lower Thigh Development
Since the lower thigh works hardest when the knee is fully bent, I recommend the following exercises with a 3/4 movement in which you go all the way down but come up only about 3/4 of the way.

Squats, Hack Squats, and Leg Presses
Leg Extensions, concentrating on letting the legs go all the way back and stretching out the thigh to the point where the lower thigh is working the hardest

Outer Thigh Development

Front Squats
Hack Squats
Any Squat or Leg Press with toes pointed straight and the feet close together
Abductor machines and movements

Inner Thigh Development

Lots of Lunges - a very valuable inside thigh exercise
Straight-Leg Deadlifts
Any Squat or Press movement with the toes turned outward with a relatively wide foot stance
Adductor machines and movements

Front Sweep of Thighs

Hack Squats with a block under the heels to further stress the quadriceps
Sissy Squats

In developing the thighs, it is helpful to vary your foot position when doing various thigh movements:

For Overall Development

Feet shoulder-width apart
Toes pointed slightly out

For Outer Thigh (vastus lateralis) Emphasis

Feet close together
Toes pointed straight ahead

For Inner Thigh (adductors) and Front Thigh (vastus medialis) Emphasis

Feet relatively wide apart
Toes pointed out at a wide angle
Old 04-04-2002, 12:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default hi all

did a great cardio today - I love that feeling when you start to think that you can't possibly carry on, like the last 10 seconds of your 10 intensity minute and you just want to stop, but you somehow manage to push through, and before you know it the 20 mintues is up. I consider that a personal victory of strong inner character over outer (weak & complaining) flesh.

Anyway - I am really enjoying this thread, I love learning about weights and stuff - although I have no idea what any of those other squats styles are???

Mel - what are lying squats - are they similar to the quad press? - I will try putting my towell behind my lower back next time. Can;t wait to get to the gym tomorrow for my upper body - now that I have ventured to th barbell bench press I LOVE it. Makes me feel strong.

Well i got my car back from the shop and $700.00 later I'm thinking I better go and some more work!!!

byeeeee
Carly
Old 04-04-2002, 09:23 AM   #12  
Mel

Default Lying squats

Carps- I don't do these much anymore, but for what its worth, you need a smith rack for lying squats. Put a pad on the floor, lower and rack the bar at about the length of you arms off the floor. Lie down, put your feet shoulder width apart on the bar, twist it off the rack with your hands, and start pushing it up and down with your feet. I'm not sure what these do for you that other squats don't, and they give me a backache, plus I just feel silly. But the PT I used a couple of times when I was getting started showed them to me. He's a big proponent of varying your routine alot so you don't get bored.

I'm REALLY sore- never used glutamine during C1 but am reconsidering if this keeps up for more than another week. Hopefully it's just the effects of a week off!

MrsJim- I'm (lightening striking) NOT following the book to a T this challenge. I think I was overtraining whatever body parts got worked twice a week, and started having joint and tendonitis problems towards the end of C1. What do you think of this schedule:

Monday: quads, hams, calves, quickie abs
Tuesday: bi's, tri's, abs (cardio in am)
Wednesday: back, rear delts, quickie abs
Thursday: cardio
Friday: chest, shoulder front and lateral, calves
Saturday: cardio, abs

Abs and calves seem to be able to take more abuse. Think this rotation makes sense? Thanks for your input. Of course, eating is by the book!

mel
Old 04-04-2002, 11:11 AM   #13  

Sounds like everyone is doing great!!!!

I had a really good LBWO this morning. My legs were a little weak afterward, but I am feeling great. Meal planning has been easy this week and I am going to do some cooking this weekend so I will be ready for the next week.

What kinds of exercise do all of you do for your abs?

Susan E.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:04 PM   #14  
Natural Health Educator

ya know what? I have really gotten used to reading over all these posts, and it is a total bummer when the net is just SOOOOOO slow that i dont have the patience to wait for it to load up the browser! (the ISP is still on the blink!) I read thru your anwers about my shoe question, thanks so much. i will be in search of those Sauconys when i fly north. here on the island everything is last years model, and runs at least 30 if not 70 percent higher in price...one good thing about that though and it really applies...I will have to wait to buy new clothes and that is fantastic since nothing i own fits me anymore and i am hoping to go down a bit more before July when i head up to the States...

I saw those fantastic pictures of MrsJim in FL and read every ones numbers and it got me thinking so i spent nearly all of tuesday afternoon tearing up my closet and extra totes of clothing to see where i stood. The outcome? THe only thing other than a few tank tops and STRETCH jeans in a small size 9 that fit me still , is a pair of jean shorts i got at THE GAP two years ago when i was up in CA visiting my sis. i bought them since they were only 4.99 but even then i knew they were a bit snug...plus they are that short short thing that i figured my DH would laugh at but they gave me a goal. so? Now they fit, and are actually a bit loose...well, they fit nice actually.

LUcky for me stretch jeans are popular here, and last year when i was working as decorator for a juniors clothing store i bought me a few pairs. they are size 7 and 9 but since they are stretch, they still work. all my 8 and 10 gap jeans are swimming on me, and in a way that is sad since they are a lot of money to just dump. I decided to be a good samaritan and delivered most of them to my needy neighbors here, since they are not likely to ever have the funds to buy such clothes since imported stuff is really costly down here. anyway, i am just so thrilled that i found this forum, and this program, and i really feel like i am getting the body i wanted for life! I am so greatful! (I know i say that everytime, but i really mean it.)

One last thing. i know that granola is a no-no for anysort of regular consumption due to the high fats, but it happens to be one of my favorite things to eat. And so i decided to see what i could do to make it more healthy and help it fit the BFL program...I did the following...I took 1.5 cups of rolled oats, and mixed them with 1 cup of oats that i ground up to make oat flour by using the blender. I dashed in a teaspoon or two of cinnnamon, a bit of stevia powder-you could use splenda, a teaspoon of vanilla and dribbled in enough water to make it all stick together into a dry batter. i crumbeled it into a dry glass baking dish and baked it for like an hour or two on a low setting say 300 or so. i checked on it ever so often to stir it and kept it in the oven till it was all brown and golden and crunchy. after it cooled you can eat it like granola. it goes great in a shake or sprinked on veggy saleds. i am not sure of its nutritional breakdown, but i do have to combine it with protein of course to have it make a whole meal. hope that helps, and sorry i was sooooooo longwinded today!
=^..^=
Old 04-04-2002, 05:45 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mew - ain't it great when you go through your closet and things are TOO BIG?!? I love it! In fact I have to get another Salvation Army bag together for more stuff that is way too big on me now or that I just don't ever see myself wearing again. Jim too.

You might want to post that 'granola' recipe on L&S's main board to see what kind of feedback you get. Looks OK to me but I'd want Tall Jen's input on it first.

Mel - Your workout looks okay to me - I'm more a fan of NOT doing biceps and triceps on the same day though. But one thing I've learned over the past almost-year is that there are NO absolutes in training routines!

As soon as we settle up with the tax man on 15 April, I am going to buy a few more Miami-style clothes. I really love that tropicool look! A great site for activewear is www.venusswimwear.com - not only a good place for bikinis and swimsuits but some terrific shorts, shirts, skirts, etc as well.

We got a lovely surprise in the mail yesterday - Jim's mother, whom I love dearly (she is exactly like my own mother - they are really into their church, love the same books, etc.) sent a box of old photos from Jim's school days, including pix of his dad. Since Jim's father died of leukemia back when Jim was in high school, I never got to meet him and always wanted to see what he looked like. I can definitely see traces of Jim in his father's pictures but Jim does take after his mom's side a bit more - did I ever mention that Jim is a distant relative of the actor Barry Bostwick on his mom's side?

Anyway, the photos of Jim from high school were just too funny, he had long frizzy blond hair (kind of Robert Plant-like though not nearly so long), the thing that struck me the most was how LEAN he was in the photos...he's still a stud today but he would look SO FINE if he got rid of the gut and love handles - hopefully one day he'll decide to do BFL! Hope hope hope...
Closed Thread