Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #1  
maiat

S/C/G: 174/147/123

Height: 5'2"

Default Fiber!!! Fiber!!! Fiber!!! Helps Weight Loss!

I have glanced over recent threads and I have not seen anything on FIBER, so I thought I'd bring up the subject. I recently stalled in my weight loss and my counselor suggested adding more fiber to my diet. I have steadily lost every time I meet with my counselor since I started eating a diet rich in fiber!!!!!!!!! Every starch choice for me now is made by counting grams of dietary fiber. Some examples of starches high in fiber are: whole grain english muffin, whole wheat pita, brown rice, or potato with skin. Some proteins with fiber: black beans, lentils or great northern white beans. Some fruit with fiber: green apples, raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries. Some vegetables with fiber: brussels sprouts, romaine lettuce, broccoli, or spinach. Let me know how it goes!!
maiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/162/162

Height: 5'10"

Yes, this is very, very true. I eat a bowl of fiber one cereal every morning and three oat bran muffins every day and I have lost 70 lbs in the past 5 mos. #1 it's filling and keeps you full longer, #2 because the body doesn't digest fiber it helps carry out all the body's waste leaving you leaner. It really does work.
Sleepy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #3  
maiat

Default Wow, Sleepy, that's great!

Congratulations on the weight loss! 70lbs is a huge accomplishment! We will have to get the word out about fiber! I have lost more weight in the month that I have been eating fiber than the three months before that where I was beating my head against the wall. I'm not sure why this isn't stressed more in weight loss programs.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/162/162

Height: 5'10"

I don't know either why it's not stressed, I lost not on any program, more my own change in diet and excerize, but there is no question that fiber has a LOT to do with it.
Sleepy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192.6/183.6/125

Amen on the fiber!
I add the powdered Benefiber to my coffee every morning.
One of my favorite snacks is All Bran cereal in Weight Watcher's vanilla yogart. Yum! Yum!
galachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #6  

I just can't seem to get this weight off after 4 weeks. Maybe if I had more fiber to my LA weight loss plan it will help. What kind of fiber are we talking about?
dwilkinsonofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #7  
maiat

Default Fiber Examples

The type of fiber can vary, depending on what you like, but here is an example of what I have been eating (the underlined food is high in fiber).

Breakfast: Quaker weight control oatmeal (maple flavored) with 1/2 cup raspberries, 8 oz. yogurt

Snack: LA Lite

Lunch: LA slimdown shake, celery with peanut butter

Snack: Granny Smith Apple, 8 oz. yogurt, 7 almonds

Dinner: Grilled Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, Brown Rice

Snack: LA Lite, 6 Strawberries, 10 peanuts

Other foods high in fiber:

Fruits: Blackberries, Strawberries, Raisins, Orange, Pear

Proteins: Lentils, Blackbeans, Great Northern White Beans, Kidney Beans

Starch: Whole Grain English Muffins, Whole Wheat Pitas, All-Bran Cereal, Potato with Skin, Sweet Potato, Whole Wheat Pasta

Vegetable: Broccoli, Carrots, Tomato, Spinach

Fats: Almonds, Peanuts
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #8  
maiat

Default Oops! I forgot to underline all fiber!

Almonds, Peanuts, and Strawberries are also good sources of fiber. I forgot to underline these. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #9  
maiat

Renee (GALACHICK)

The All-Bran/yogurt concoction sounds wonderful. Thanks for the tip. Does benefiber change the taste or texture of the coffee? If not, I think I will try it. I love my coffee in the morning and I welcome any chance to add fiber to my diet.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #10  
I want a smaller wardrobe

S/C/G: 195.2/151/144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy68 View Post
Yes, this is very, very true. I eat a bowl of fiber one cereal every morning and three oat bran muffins every day and I have lost 70 lbs in the past 5 mos. #1 it's filling and keeps you full longer, #2 because the body doesn't digest fiber it helps carry out all the body's waste leaving you leaner. It really does work.
What kind of oat bran muffins do you eat? Are they homemade?
merem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #11  

thanks I will try and eat more of them.
dwilkinsonofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #12  

Maiat - Thanks for your list of suggestions for fiber. However, I have been told by my COD that Quaker Weight Control oatmeal is not on plan. I love it too, but if you want to lose weight, the advice is not to use it. Good old oatmeal is the trick.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #13  
maiat

Default Quaker Weight Control

Wow! Really? I have been eating it about 3 times a week for at least a month and logging it in my journal and my counselor has never said anything about it at all. In fact, I have lost weight consistently while eating it. Thanks for the information! I will have to ask at my LAWL center. Maybe I'd lose even more if I ate plain oatmeal!?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/189/130

Height: 5'5"

I add fibresure to my water. It is clear, tasteless, and does not thicken. I asked COD, and they said it is basically a freebie, each tsp. only has 5 calories and 3 grams of carbs, but has 3 grams of soluble fibre, and 3 grams dietary fibre. I find when I drink it, I am not hungry.

I was told by COD that some brands (Metamucil I think is one) count as a starch. Something to watch for on the labels of fibre supplements – how much carb/calorie they are.
Pastrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #15  
maiat

Patsy,

Thanks for the information. I have never taken a fiber supplement so I never even thought about carbs or calories in them. So is Fibersure the lowest in calories/carbs? I keep hearing about people having success using the brand Benefiber and was wondering if you (or anyone else) had an opinion on this.