Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #1  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Default Low cal options Subway

What are some low cal options for Subway. I always get a 6 in (12in if I want a sandwich for the next day) and its always wheat bread. The only veggies I can truly stand is a bit of lettuce on my sandwich. So what are some good low cal options?

I went today but for got to check cal options before I left. I ended up getting a Subway Melt (cheese killed me on that one). On wheat (6in) with a bit of lettuce with a small amount of sweet onion sauce (yum). I also had a minute maid lite lemonade. Like I said not the best option but certainly not the worst.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, if you aren't a veggie person...then Subway probably isn't your best bet.

The veggies are really the healthiest thing about eating at Subway.

If you will eat a little lettuce, I recommend asking for some baby spinach on your sub when you eat there. The baby spinach doesn't taste much different than icebug lettuce, and it is more nutrient dense. I also recommend having their apple slices for a side, to get more produce in your diet.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #3  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Yeah I don't eat there often. Like once or twice every 3-4 months. What about the wraps are they better than getting bread?
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Aphil I must disagree . You can still get a healthy sandwich if you don't like veggies. Check out Jared's subs here http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...tionValues.pdf

I think the protein is really good, and all of Jared's are under 6 grams of fat.

Also, they now offer 4 inch "mini" subs if you need a really low cal meal.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #5  

They have protein, and are low calorie-but without the veggies I wouldn't say "healthy". Mainly this is because their bread isn't whole wheat or whole grain...and because many of the lunch meats, have added sodium, etc. like most lunch meats do.

If you are going to have a sandwich without all of the veggies-you are better off making your own-because you can use whole grain bread, fresh meat, and so on and so forth.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #6  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

True true I never had a problem pilin' on the veggies though, so I guess I was thinking of it more in the caloric content...If you absolutely have to eat there, naturally it is more healthy than Micky D's. But making your own sandwich is always a good idea, because it's much easier to get an accurate calorie count, and like Aphil said, using better bread and fresh meat!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
If you are going to have a sandwich without all of the veggies-you are better off making your own-because you can use whole grain bread, fresh meat, and so on and so forth.
I totally agree.

With the lowfat subs from Subway, if you're only going to get meat and cheese, you may as well make your own sandwich at home because most of the calories in the Subway sub are going to come from the bread. When at home you can use low calorie bread and/or sub buns and add your own meats and cheeses. Low fat, of course. I never order cheese on my Subway subs. Or any other sandwich from anywhere else, for that matter.

But one of my favorite Subway subs is the veggie. I normally get it piled with lettuce, tomato, onion, spinach, cucumber, banana peppers, green peppers, sometimes black olive, and basically whatever veggie they have. I get it on wheat bread with a sprinkling of their sweet onion sauce.

That's the main reason I go to Subway. That and the sweet onion chicken teriyaki. You might try that one, it's really yummy!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I get either the roast beef or the ham & turkey on whole wheat. No cheese, tons of veggies and vinegar with no oil. It's very yummy and less than 300 cals. In my normal life, I never get that much bread for so few calories because I don't do reduced cal bread--if I'm going to eat bread, I want it to be worth it. However, whenever I'm waiting in line at Subway I spend the bulk of the time negotiating with myself about the cheese. I take comfort in the fact that Subway cheese is not good cheese and really isn't worth the calories. I never actually miss the cheese. If they had high quality cheese, my calculations might work out differently.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #9  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

I always get the veggie with extra tomatoes and extra pickles. Sometimes I get a bit of mayo or mustard. I think I'm going to use strained yogurt though. (I usually just take the sammie home.)
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #10  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I'm sorry to be so stupid - but who is Jared, and why is there nutritional information on sandwiches at Subway named after him?

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM   #11  

Jared is the guy in all of the Subway commercials. He is the guy who was morbidly obese, and lost a ton of weight eating at Subway and walking everywhere he needed to go. He is a Subway spokesperson now.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #12  

Quote:
I never order cheese on my Subway subs.
The cheese on Subway subs is a waste of calories, IMO. I can't even TASTE the cheese when I order it!!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote