General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Red face Any Gardeners out there?

I've seen lots of special interests represented in the forum, but can't find any gardening groups!
I thought I'd see if there were any gardeners who wanted to share about their gardens and gardening! Photos would be great, too!
Looking forward to hearing from you all!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #2  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

I, am officially the WORST gardener ever. i dug up the garden, planted the seeds, watered, and then got bored. lol. i think i've weeded twice? i dont even remember the names of two of the flowers i planted! but my pumpkins are growing! hopefully i'll be able to carve homemade jack-o-lanterns this halloween
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi, this has been my first year having a real garden and I've had a lot of success with it. I had planted sweet peas, bell peppers, potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob, jalapenos, cucumbers, squash, okra, tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes, cantaloupes, watermelon and pumpkins. The only thing I've had trouble with is the pumpkins. I either watered them too much or not enough, but they fell off the vines before they were ripe. We have used our fresh garden food all summer.

Less than 2 weeks ago, I replanted corn for the fall. It is about 6 inches high right now. My MIL has always had a great garden and was very helpful with mine as far as knowing when to plant everything.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i would definately be interested. I just moved to my current house, so right now i don't have a garden. But my plan is this fall get a garden area dug up and prepped and then spring start to plant the appropriate veggies. I am hoping to do cukes, jalepenos, tomatoes (i've tried these last year but failed miserably), possibly some corn and then some rasberries and black berries. I definately would be eager to learn and have a forum.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like a fun thread. My husband and I have a veggie garden and a seperate herb garden. I'd join in!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

I would like this forum too. I have lots of flowers, and plant tomatoes in the spring.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #7  
Restart Date 1.02.08

S/C/G: 225.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'4"

I too have a veggie garden and a few herbs planted. We have had a garden for years. I learned from my grandfather, who could grow anything. This year and usually every year we plant new potatoes, tomatoes, several different types of peas, green beans, cukes, squash, zucchini and this year I have fall blueberries. I am sure I have left something out....I did.....peppers.

Our tomatoes did not do anything this year. I don't know of anyone that planted tomatoes here that had success. I don't know what is going on. But I do have some planted for fall. We will see how they do.

Thanks for starting this thread for us.
Dale Junior Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Ok...so for the novice planter like me...what do you guys do in the fall/winter to "prep" your garden for the next growing season. I've seen a wide range of things out there? Once the weather stops being in the 100's my plant is to mark out my garden, dig out the grass and start getting it ready for next year. Any helpeful hints for a newbie...i really love the taste of home grown veggies and want to try it next year.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #9  
banned

Sounds like you are on the right track. Mark out your future garden, dig up all the grass, then if you can, do something called double-digging. Here is a link describing what you ideally should do:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...le_digging.asp
For garden beds, this is a really great idea.
For the rest of your stuff, alot of people trim back all perennials once late fall hits. Others, like me in a Northern climate, leave the seed heads in place for the birds to eat over the winter. I do a spring cleaning instead of a fall cleaning.
If you clean out your beds, what you do is wait until late fall, then cut all the perennial flowers and plants down to the ground and remove them. You can, at this time, put a layer of mulch over the top and wait for winter. In the spring, plant as usual.
Hope this helps!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Never gardened before in my life. Now that we're in our new home, and it's summer, I'm trying to figure out HOW to plant flower gardens and weed the flower boxes that were already there. I've been laying out mulch and bought a little weeder/trimmer. I've planted some flowers, some took, others are kinda keeling over in this heat. I guess I'll get better at it as time marches on.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #11  
banned

Experience, and a little reading goes a long way! ESPECIALLY if you find magazines/articles geared towards your local area. It doesn't help for me, in Canada, to be reading about garden plants that go gangbusters in Hawaii...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/236.5/128

Height: 5'4"

I'm slowly landscaping the grounds of our new house (this is our second summer here, so far.) We don't have a proper vegetable garden yet, but I do have herbs in pots on the patio. My front yard and side yard look fantastic this year though. The previous owners had a thing for hostas; it's all they planted. Most of them have been given away (finally) or relocated to other parts of the yard. Okay, most of them are happily situated under a tree.

My local WalMart just had AARS roses marked down to TWO dollars, so of course I picked up about 5 of them. And a few lacecap hydrangeas. And a phaleanopsis orchid. Really, that's it. They've all found homes around the house, except for one shrub rose that just can't figure out where it wants to be.

This coming spring's project is to build raised beds for a vegetable garden. I'm not sure about ordering more daffodils and grape hyacinths this fall yet. Oh, and I'm going to plant garlic someplace, I'm just not sure where yet.
mumof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #13  
Black Team TBL-WMB

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Height: 5'6'

Gardening is a passion of mine I moved last year and had to leave behind 5 gardens and all the land was flat now I live in the woods,it has been a challenge along with the critters and shade I have done alot of reading my local library has a ton of books and mags to read that has been a big help. Thanks for starting this forum.
losinitin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 AM   #14  
banned

I think your climate in Northern Maine is quite similar to mine! Good luck with the shade, especially if it is dry shade, but it sounds like you have alot of experience. Sorry about the 5 gardens you left behind...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #15  

Hi, in Oregon here and have 2 large gardens. can alot of things. got cucumbers now and tomatoes are coming on slow. had a disease in plant of some kind. so not good. we are retired and love it. Hubby is always busy in it.I love going out and getting fresh vegies and eating them. we also have flowers about. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote