Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #1  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

Default Exercising in secret?

Anyone else have a hard time exercising in front of other people? I hate exercising outside because it gets too hot, and I have a bug phobia (ick). Plus, if I come across another person, or even a car for that matter, I feel like I have to justify being fat and exercising at the same time. I don't even want to exercise in front of my boyfriend, I get nervous that if I start doing a fitness tape he's going to wake up or something (he sleeps during the day, works at night, and we live in one room atm untill the house we're buying goes through) and catch me in the act, so to speak. Anyone else go through this or am I just silly? :-P
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #2  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, when I was heavier and I was out walking I picked the most deserted streets possible because I didn't want any other people (on the street or in cars) to see me, I felt embarrassed. Now I don't have a problem with it and enjoy greeting others who are running the same trail as me, I'm just a lot more confident I guess....having said that I still don't like exercising in our apartment when my boyfriend is around to see, strange, and I don't know why
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Ok, this is a tragedy!!! Fat people are allowed to exercise! We need to at least liberate ourselves from the idea that there is something ridiculous about overweight people exercising. It is much, MUCH better to be out there, in public, sweating and huffing and puffing and doing your body good than to be sitting home, sad and in the dark staying unfit and overweight.

If I saw you at my gym, or walking around my streets, I'd send you a mental 'kudos.'

It might, however, be slightly ridiculous if you were wearing one of those mouth masks to keep the bugs out while you were exercising. That might cause me to titter
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Guilty! I workout in my room with the door shut, even though it's the hottest room in the house.

When I lost weight before, I would be in the living room, but not until I was a bit smaller.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #5  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Now there's an idea... I think I should just get a big plastic bubble to use while exercising. BEGON BUGS!
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #6  

May I recommend an exercise ball -- relatively quiet for when your house is sleeping!! I'm in the same boat -- I was going to the YMCA and always thought people were watching the "fat chcik on the equipment" wondering which McDonald's I'd hit on the way home. You know what, most people are too self absorbed to even notice you. People who do make comments --- put it in perspective, most likely it is noone whose opinion should matter to you anyway.

Be proud of yourself for the effort and keep moving. I've always had "sweat phobia" about exercising -- it grossed me out, and I felt like everyone could smell me. Know I just think of it in pounds running off my body!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #7  
Happy New Rears!

I won't do my cardio if my hubby is home. In fact I missed 2 days of it last week because he was home and I felt rotten about it, very frustrating. I just can't do it when he's here.
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/162/150

Height: 5'7"

When I first started doing excercise tapes I was very self conscious. My nosy husband, who seems to have a need to know what I am doing every moment, would come in to the bedroom to see what I was doing. He would smile and say something that he thought was cute or supportive. I would tell him to get the **** out. It didn't take long before he got bored with it. Now he sees I am working out, he grabs a beer out of the fridge and heads in to watch tv until I'm done, or whatever it is he does till I'm done. He is actually proud of me for working out. I'll bet most men are proud of their woman for trying to improve themselves.

I would never join a co-ed gym, cause I don't want to exercise in front of young physically fit guys and women. I joined curves for a couple of years and that was cool, women from every walk of life and every shape, size and weight. Lots of support. Then I discovered exercise tapes (Leslie Sansone) and decided I liked working out at home, on my own schedule and I quit going to curves. At curves you exercise in front of others, but it is different cause everyone is in a similar boat.
SusieCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #9  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

when i run i take dirt roads threw the forest, and i walk to get to them. i could never run IN FRONT of people. and i workout from home, locked in my bedroom with my videos. the husband is FORBIDDEN from entering until i'm done! i cant stand to have people look at me when i work out!
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinGirl in FatBody View Post
I won't do my cardio if my hubby is home. In fact I missed 2 days of it last week because he was home and I felt rotten about it, very frustrating. I just can't do it when he's here.
Hello soulmate! DH took some leave and I haven't exercised while he's been home. I know that if I ask nice, he'll have no problem staying in the computer room for 45 minutes while I do my video in the living room, but I never say anything...I have an irrational fear that he'll peek! Lol.

I also feel odd walking alone. I'm ok if DH comes with me and we have a destination. But alone (with or without a destination), I feel like every car is staring at me as they pass. Also, on the base here, a lot of people don't drive and pulling over to offer a ride a very common. I'm waiting for the day someone pulls over over to offer me a ride and then looks at me funny when I say no thank you and explain I'm exercising.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I personally do not care who sees me exercising, especially when I really get into it. I forget everything around me and just focus on my goals. I hoopdance in my backyard, and people from the street come up to my gate and ask to have a go at it. I personally do not mind sharing the joy of exercise with anyone. My fiance however is fat on the inside, and about as unfit as they come. He is all muscle, but cant do a 15 minute session of DDR without giving up lol.

He's not into the whole exercise thing, he'd rather sit and watch tv or more likely sit at his PC all day.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #12  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

It seems that most don't like their significant other to watch (which is how it is for me). I couldn't care less if a million strangers see me in public sweating, red faced and puffing like a steam engine, but I don't like the boyfriend there, which is odd, it's not a new relationship, he's seen me like that plenty of times before, I have no delusions of having to be "pretty" for him all the time (in fact I've heard many men say it's a turn on to see their lady all hot and sweaty from a workout). So I honestly can't say why I don't like him watching. Psychology is weird in many many ways.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #13  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

The only exercise I am willing to do in front of others is walk. I get up at 5:30am so I can be done with my cardio before the kids wake up and I do weights in a weight room with the door shut. You are not alone, I assure you.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I used to be that way about workout DVD's and Y!F. I hated for anyone to see me doing those. I was a little self conscious about running in front of people at first, but now I could care less.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #15  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I used to feel this way too - and when I started my running program outside, I was just like MangoKitty - I'd walk to the trails and then run when no one could see me. I once ran into a group of neighbouring ladies who walk in the mornings, and I was hideously embarrassed... stupid, though.

Now, I run on my treadmill and I don't care who sees me - actually, if I've popped a movie in, I kind of like when others watch it with me (though, of course, this means they are NOT watching ME!). This worked really well when my mother stayed with me, though she always got irritated if I stopped the film and said "We'll watch the rest next time I run"

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote