General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default For all you store managers

... and anyone else who can help.

I had an interview with Fashion Bug today, filled out a personality quiz, and was told by the manager that she would review it and get in touch with me. I'm SO bad at this kind of stuff... would it be appropriate for me to call her if I don't hear from her for about a week? When I have called places in the past to check up on my application, they seem to get annoyed about it. I am REALLY in need of a job, feel good about how the interview, and don't want to let this go if I should call. I probably sound like an idiot here but I haven't had to find a new job since I was 16.

TIA for anyone who answers!
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #2  

Usually after about a week, it's okay to call and just ask if they have reviewed your application. I applied for a job at Lane Bryant (run by the same company as Fashion Bug and Catherine's, btw), and called after 6 days. She said it showed I was "eager to get the position", and it was nice to have someone "serious about the job". So I took that as a good sign. I don't know what proper etiquette is, but I think waiting about a week is good.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #3  

That's what I figured. I just wasn't sure that it was appropriate in this particular situation, since I was already given an interview. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Call! I never understand why people don't follow up. I mean, you want the job- I'm sure they would like to know. I have always landed a job/internship when I have been persistent.

My problem is sometimes being too persistent, beating them into submission until they are forced to give it to me. But hey, whatever works

I don't know the etiquette either. If it's early in the week I will call at the end of the week. If it's the end of the week, I would definitely call early the following week as things get put off over the weekend.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #5  
At goal as of 11/12/06!!!

S/C/G: 161/124/130

Height: 5'7"

Did you send a thank you letter (or letters, if more than one person was involved in the interview)? That's the best way to follow up, IMO. It also gives you an opportunity to address any weak spots in your interview. I think in a service position it's especially important, given the customer service aspect of the job.

But I don't think a phone call is inappropriate. It allows you to reiterate your interest in the position.
tanyaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #6  

Thanks Jen!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #7  

Tanya, I just had the interview today and didn't think to send a letter. Definitely something to think about, thank you for the suggestion. Now that I have been encouraged to call, I will.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #8  
At goal as of 11/12/06!!!

S/C/G: 161/124/130

I know people who have gotten jobs just by sending a thank you letter. It's a really easy way to make yourself stand out, and all it costs is a stamp.
tanyaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #9  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaf View Post
Did you send a thank you letter (or letters, if more than one person was involved in the interview)? That's the best way to follow up, IMO. It also gives you an opportunity to address any weak spots in your interview. I think in a service position it's especially important, given the customer service aspect of the job.

But I don't think a phone call is inappropriate. It allows you to reiterate your interest in the position.
Absolutely agree on the thank you note. I didn't hire for a store, but for a corporation and I was always impressed by a handwritten note thanking me for my time and expressing their interest in the position.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I think a thank you note is also the best way to follow up right now. It is a very professional touch and is a good chance to make yet another good impression. It would give you a chance to highlight any strong points you made in the interview.

I would definitely wait a few days before calling, IMHO. Good luck!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone!

I definitely planned on waiting until about Tuesday to call, but I will write and send the letter tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #12  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

You know that is funny that you mention a thank you letter. I had emailed my resume to a company this past monday, on tuesday the manager called me to come in on wednesday for an interview. I went to that, and it went well. I asked during the interview what the company's timeline to get a person hired was, and he said that they would contact people on Friday to set up the short list for the second interview. Well Friday morning at 8:30 I got the call that I made the "short list". So friday afternoon I wrote a hand written thank you card to the manager who interviewed me and told him I appreciated the time and look forward to meeting with him and the regional manager on tuesday at 4:45 (kinda to confirm the time also). I mailed it yesterday, and told my DH, well he said "trying to kiss a little butt?" I was like, NO, just trying to "stand out" and whatever it takes to set me apart from the other 3-4 people who made the "short list" the better, I mean sending that shows I am courtious and can handle follow up!

So I would ask you, did they give you a general "timeline" for hiring or contacting people? If not, I would wait 4-5 days and contact them, I would chose letter/card to indicate you appreciate their time and that you are happy to be considered to join the "Fashion Bug Family" and you look forward to hearing from them soon regarding the postion.

GOOD LUCK, LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT!!!!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Hey, if a little butt kissing gets me a job, so be-it! I'm sure DH won't complain when he starts spending the extra $$$ that your new job will bring in!!!!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #14  

If you want the job the thank you card gets mailed as soon as you get home from the interview. I don't think I'd bother with reconfirming second interview time in a note (we use email and phone for that stuff nowadays) but I totally agree with your timeline otherwise.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #15  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
My problem is sometimes being too persistent, beating them into submission until they are forced to give it to me. But hey, whatever works

I have a good friend who got one of her favorite jobs because she kept harassing the owner so much and one day said she wasn't going to leave until he hired her. He sighed and gave her the job.

As for the thank you notes. Send them!! I'm in college now and taking a class on employability. The thank you note is very good etiquette and major brownie points. Following up is also very important. You want that job you have to do everything you can to get it.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote