Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Joy - crunchy tacos AGAIN!

Back, when I was heavy, I used to eat home-made veggie tacos A LOT. I would eat 5-6 at a time, with tons of cheese and salsa and olives. It was one of my favorite meals - so cheesy and crunchy.

When I made over my life in 2004, I gave up crunchy tacos and started using La Tortilla Factory 50 calorie whole wheat soft tortillas to make veggie tacos. I cut down on the cheese and added spinach leaves and they were pretty good, but not the same.

I made a great discovery at the local Whole Foods - Garden of Eatin' organic blue corn taco shells - 3 shells are 210 calories and 10 grams of fat. And they are really cool looking and blue!

I typically allow 200 calories of complex carbohydrates for dinner (whole wheat tortillas, 2 oz of whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc), so 3 crunchy tacos for dinner work out GREAT! I used spicy browned veggie crumbles, a little low fat cheese, diced tomato, salsa and chopped kale (which I am really starting to dig, it has a very interesting texture). I added 1/3 can of fat free refried beans with salsa to the plate.

I am so glad to have crunchy tacos again - I had been missing them! For some reason, I had just ruled out crunchy tacos, maybe I thought they were just too high in fat/calories? I think my brain had just put them in the "unhealthy former habits" category. Of course, I'm also not eating SIX at a time anymore
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 AM   #2  

You're a rock star! Seriously! Your "goal" story was so inspiring to me.

Now TACOS!! You are so speaking my language. I love soft ones, I love crunchy ones but tell me -- what's your opinion of the stone ground corn tortillas? Aren't those OK from a natural food perspective?

What I do a lot of times for tostadas (when I'm not deep frying them which I'm not doing anymore!!) is spray them with a bit of olive oil cooking spray and put them in the convection oven until they're crispy. Only 60 calories a piece!

Then they get the lard-free refried beans, lettuce, salsa and fat free sour cream, and guacamole if I made it. Even those skinny non-dieting creatures who live in my house (aka, my family) love these!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey I've never tried stone ground corn tortillas, but they sound awesome. Corn is a whole grain, a super food! I've been eating whole wheat tortillas for so long, I need to start BRANCHING out!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Those sound so good! I've had the GoE chips, but not the taco shells. I usually use soft corn tortillas for most of my mexican food needs, but I'll look for these next time I'm at WF.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

WOW..i'm glad i did some browsing around today. I'm not quite yet into totally whole food lifestyle yet (however i'm seeing the difference it can make) but i'm making small incoorperations into normal life. so i normally don't stop on this part of the site. I'm soooo glad i did. Those things sound great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm a taco fanatic...esp crunchy tacos...and i love blue corn tortilla chips...so this sounds like it would be right up my alley. Thanks for the suggestion...i have a whole foods right down the street that i LOVE!!! actually its the one that Alton brown always fims at for his good eats shows..it always makes me chuckle thinking..hey i shop at this store.

I might have to make a trip today to pick some up. What a great idea...thanks for the info
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #6  

Helloooooo fellow taco lovers!! You would not believe this but my neighborhood (No. Hollywood, CA) is like Tacoland. There are like 10 taco places within walking distance.

I have a 99 cent taco place 4 blocks from my house, I mean, 24/7, and not taco bell either, a real authentic (read: lard-based) taqueria!

when the bars close at 2 a.m. that place is busting at the seams. And don't ask me how I know that.

Well let's just say these "few extra pounds" (uh, 40) didn't jump on by themselves, they took the chips and salsa express.

However I have recently discovered some good taco substitutions that won't blow my diet, this one sounds kind of wacky but it's actually good: lettuce tacos! Basically this is grilled chicken (great for left overs) rolled up in lettuce leaves with salsa, a LITTLE guacamole and some n/f sour cream. Que rico!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #7  

Oooh gatorgal your wedding dress is divine! I have a friend trying on wedding dresses right now and she thinks everything is either too bare or too frilly, yours is perfect!
Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

k8 - thanks a bunch...it was a perfect dress for me...no lacy no frills just some subtle crystal on the front. Very simple but oh so gorgeous...tell your friend keep looking...she'll know the right one when she sees it.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #9  

love the assymetrical single strap -- very Grace Kelly!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Wink

blue corn is higher in iron too, if i'm not mistaken.

not to rain on your parade, but you may want to consider being cautious with your corn products. they are one of the most farmed crops on the planet, used for everything, and are one of the biggest GMO crops.

Read that in "Omnivore's Dilemma". If you buy organic, under the usda definition, it should be GMO free.
Trader Joes (everyones favorite place here ) has organic blue corn chips.
have you thought of making a taco salad with chips and all your fillings used as toppings? One of my favorite things to do.

Know what else is good? chai iced tea! especially in this weather.
YUM.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote