Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 AM   #1  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Went on vacation and gained...

Which wasn't a huge surprise. I gained about 3 lbs while I was gone. That's not the problem, the problem is that I'm having a really, really hard time getting back on plan.

*said in her best whiny voice* I don't want to eat right, I don't want to exercise, I don't want to log my food.

My motivation is in the drain and I'm not sure what to do. I completely snapped on vacation and ate unbelievable amounts of junk. I can't seem to pull out of this... any words of wisdom, advice or a swift kick in the rear for me? I'm feeling rather hopeless and also rather scared of gaining all this weight back. Perhaps I can channel that fear into motivation... but how?
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #2  
Courtney

S/C/G: 200/185/145

Same here.... I just went on vacation for a week, which equals eating bad and not exercising. I weigh the same as before I went on vacation, but it is SOOOOO hard getting back on a diet and exercise plan! I need help too! I'm doing the whole "I'll start next Monday" thinking again...
alleneaglechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Which wasn't a huge surprise. I gained about 3 lbs while I was gone. That's not the problem, the problem is that I'm having a really, really hard time getting back on plan.

*said in her best whiny voice* I don't want to eat right, I don't want to exercise, I don't want to log my food.
You are at a crossroads. A lot of people lose some weight, fall off track, gain all the weight back and have to start all over again. You gotta ask yourself - are you going to stop and regain all the weight or are you going to keep going all the way to goal and on to maintenance for the rest of your life.

In a way, this is a real test. If you aren't ready to do this FOREVER you will eventually stop and start regaining the weight you've lost. You are going to have to eat right, exercise and potentially log food (I still do after 2.5 years) for the rest of your life.

Going on vacation is good. Treat meals are good. Getting right back on track and living your new healthy lifestyle is BETTER.

One vacation in your life didn't make you heavy. Not getting back on track after vacation will.

I don't want to go to work. I don't want to floss. I don't want to pay taxes, get my oil changed, stop at the grocery store to pick up cat litter, wait in a long line to get my car emissions checked, fold socks. Heck, there are ton of things I don't like doing that I HAVE TO DO. Make healthy eating one of the things you HAVE TO DO.

Good luck!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Well then what exactly are the alternatives? Hmmm? Eat wrong, don't exercise and don't track your food intake. So then what's the CONSEQUENCES of those actions? You keep on eating the junk, you gain 3 more lbs, and then 3 more pounds and then another who knows what. The vicious cycle MUST stop. You went on vacation, you strayed from your usual routine and hopefully enjoyed it. Now you're back home and it's time to jump right back on that bandwagon.

I too wish I could eat whatever I wanted to, when I wanted to. I wish I didn't have to exercise day in and day out and track every morsel that goes in my mouth - but if I don't - I will be morbidly obese again in no time at all - I have no doubt about it. I'm not willing to be that way ever again. We simply can not have it both ways. Exercising, tracking my food and eating right gets me the results that I want. So therefore I choose the healthy eating. It's worth it by about a million percentage points and then some. I want to be healthy, fit and trim - forever. Yes, there WILL be times when I will stray and sure as heck vacation time is one of them, but then it's indeed time to refocus, recommit and regroup. I now know that strayiing from my routine is just a small blip on the road. I don't make it an option to not get right back on track. If it's not an option, well then I MUST get back on track. No second thoughts. You just do it. These are lifetime rules that I set up for myself.

Getting back on track is the right thing to do. You will feel so much better when you do and wonder why you were even hesitating. Good luck!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #5  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Take it from one who knows......you want to get back on track ASAP.

Last year, a medical problem came up for me that I took to heart. At that point, I had lost around 35 pounds and was, before that issue came up, proud of myself. Instead of keeping going in spite of the small inconvenience it brought in my life, what did I do? I went off plan, gained it all back and MORE. All that hard work, I shot down the drain and within 7 months time I weighed my heaviest weight ever in my life. Was it worth it? NO!!!!!

You had, I would imagine, a wonderful time. It felt probably a little liberating, not counting calories and just enjoying yourself without the responsibility. I understand that, I had a vacation like that this year myself. However, I promised myself before I left, that I would have just that one week off of plan and get right back on once I got home. My promise to myself- if I didn't get back on plan again right away, I would not allow myself to enjoy (eating wise) the next vacation like I did this one.

It took two days to get back on track (we still had some camping food leftover- money's tight around here, so I didn't want to waste it), but I got back on track and started losing again.

You've worked so hard. Do you want to blow away all this hard work and dedication? If needed, give yourself another day or two to get organized and planning, but just get back on track ASAP. You deserve this.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Gale,

I just posted on another thread that I'm having the same problem....went off track and can't seem to get going again. There seem to be a lot of us struggling right now, huh? One thing I think we need to really concentrate on......this time next year, we can be thinner and healthier! We can be on maintenance and buying beautiful clothes and feeling energetic! Just think, if we get back on-plan, we can do these things! So, lets get going.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I have to say that I think Glory's post is amazing. Being at a Crossroads is exactly right. I went through a crossroads recently too and it would have been easier to choose the path of least resistance and go back to the bad choices. But, as Robin says in her post, that would have made me go back and gain what little bit I have lost and probably would have added more. I don't have health issues yet, but I'm not comfortable at this weight. How much more uncomfortable do I want to be? Are the bad health issues just waiting around the corner??? Just some thoughts.

I don't think that waiting any more years to take care of this will make it any easier!! Hang in there. As Rhonda said, there are a lot of us that have been struggling lately. We have to keep each other going!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #8  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Glory put it wonderfully!

I have the fear that this will happen to me. I'll be going to Las Vegas for 5 days in December, and I'm already accepting the fact that I will gain when I'm there...but I want to make SURE that I get right back on track once I get home.
I plan to do that by coming here, just as you have done. Look at your accomplishments so far! You obviously still have the will to do this, you're here!

Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

I just actually went through this same thing. Ironically, though, I did fine on vacation. I just fell apart when I got back, though. Breaking routine always makes it harder to get back on routine, I think. However, I am so back now - and really feeling great about it.

And I have no great secrets. I just exercised at my normal time each day, even when I didn't feel it. And I ate my same foods, even though I slipped up here and there. It took me about a week of conscious, every-day effort to get back on plan, but now I'm rolling really well. Hopefully, this will last another two, maybe three, weeks, then I know I will face another obstacle, 'cuz life's about obstacles. Though I hate to quote advertisers, Nike's advice is right on, and expressed really well by the previous posters. You don't have to want to do it. But you do have to - just do it. Then, you'll start losing again, and it won't require the same intensity of effort after a while.

I know this is Robin's line, but I'm stealing it. I know you can do it! Keep us posted on the struggle, because until it stops being a struggle (which will happen only if you decide to quit) you will be winning even when you're not doing everything as well as you know you can.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

My suggestion is to get back on track, even if you aren't motivated to do it. DO IT ANYWAY! You'll get back in the swing of things soon and you won't be gaining any more
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
I just actually went through this same thing. Ironically, though, I did fine on vacation. I just fell apart when I got back, though. Breaking routine always makes it harder to get back on routine, I think. However, I am so back now - and really feeling great about it.
Me too. I was great on vacation, got back and couldn't find my groove again. It was several weeks before I found it again. Now I wonder what on earth was I waiting for????
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #12  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone, you all said exactly what I needed to hear. You're right, the only choice I have is to get back on plan, the alternative isn't an option. I refuse to live the way I used to. So, I've cleaned out all of the junk food and re-filled my fridge with fantastic produce. I ate grilled veggies tonight and it was much, much better than any of the crud I've eaten this week.

I want to say that the sad thing about eating junk food, as addicting as it can be, is that it made me feel like total garbage. I've been tired and moody and an all-around grouch. It'll take a couple of days to completely clean out my system, but I'm already pulling out.

You ladies are great, I couldn't do this without your support. You really did pull me out of this funk. After all, I've been at this for 7 months why would I quit now???
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I seriously think you ladies are my soul mates. I came on here just now debating whether to post my post-vacation blues and here you all are already discussing it! I like what GirlyGirlSebas said, "this time next year". I'm so aiming for that.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote