General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Any other asthmatics here?

I have no idea where to put this post because I couldn't find an actual board for health problems not related to weight loss. So mods, after reading it, if you have a more appropriate board to move this to, I have no problem with that.

Ok, here's my question: I'm a mild asthmatic and currently use a prescribed inhaler (albuterol) for clearing the crap out of my lungs. However, I've been hearing from people who use Primatene Mist and they say just one hit off of that usually lasts them all day when before they'd need to use the albuterol several times a day. But I'm a little concerned about the "over-the-counter" bronchial dilators.

(yes, I know, they're trying to get Primatene Mist banned because it's bad for the ozone or something like that, but that aside...)

For one thing, Primatene Mist contains epinephrine. I'm not sure I'm cool with that. I've done some reading and it says the Primatene Mist is a concern for doctors (probably because the patient isn't giving their money to THEM ) because they're saying it can cause heart attacks.

So my question is this - does anyone here use the Primatene Mist and have you ever had any problems with it? I'm not saying I'm going to switch to the over-the-counter stuff, but I've been doing lots of reading and many people are saying they prefer to use the Primatene as opposed to albuterol because it works better. But do you think Primatene is any more dangerous than the stuff the doctors prescribe?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #2  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

If your doctor didn't recommend it, then there is a reason for it. My doctor does recommend over the counter stuff IF it is safe enough and what I need for my allergies or coughs.

There's a reason why they don't recommend Primatine Mist, and quite frankly, why would you want to take that chance of harming yourself? Ask your doctor his/her thoughts on using it before even considering switching. For all you know, there could be something in it that could cause you more harm than good.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Linda -- I grew up with asthma, though, I'm pleased to say that I almost never need my albuterol inhaler -- or other medication -- anymore.

But, if you feel you aren't getting what you need from albuterol, talk to your doctor-- there are lots of meds out there that do a great job of controlling the asthma BEFORE you have an attack or have crap to clean out of your lungs!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I'm asthmatic, and I take Flovent (fluticasone) daily and Ventolin (albuterol) as needed. I find that going on Flovent cut WAY down on how often I need the ventolin - from a couple times a week to *maybe* once a month. I cough less, and more "productively" (ewww), as well.

Here's my $0.02 about the Primatene:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
(yes, I know, they're trying to get Primatene Mist banned because it's bad for the ozone or something like that, but that aside...)
If it's bad for the ozone, would you really be content putting it into your body? I know that until recently, all inhalers had CFCs, but that's no longer the case. I'd go for the "lesser evil" personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
For one thing, Primatene Mist contains epinephrine. I'm not sure I'm cool with that. I've done some reading and it says the Primatene Mist is a concern for doctors (probably because the patient isn't giving their money to THEM ) because they're saying it can cause heart attacks.
If it has epinephrine and is OTC, I'd be wary, unless it's doctor-recommended and doctor-monitored. I trust my doc, so if she does/doesn't prescribe something, I'm inclined to go with it. She's happy to have me bring up other treatments I'm curious about, and talk about why she is willing/unwilling to go that route, so maybe your doctor would be willing to talk to you about this product?
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post
If your doctor didn't recommend it, then there is a reason for it. My doctor does recommend over the counter stuff IF it is safe enough and what I need for my allergies or coughs.

There's a reason why they don't recommend Primatine Mist, and quite frankly, why would you want to take that chance of harming yourself? Ask your doctor his/her thoughts on using it before even considering switching. For all you know, there could be something in it that could cause you more harm than good.
That's what I was concerned about. But then how do I know prescription drugs are any less dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
Linda -- I grew up with asthma, though, I'm pleased to say that I almost never need my albuterol inhaler -- or other medication -- anymore.

But, if you feel you aren't getting what you need from albuterol, talk to your doctor-- there are lots of meds out there that do a great job of controlling the asthma BEFORE you have an attack or have crap to clean out of your lungs!!
Thanks, maybe I'll look into those and ask my doctor about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by practiceliving View Post

If it's bad for the ozone, would you really be content putting it into your body?
Well I'm not, really. Which is why I posted about it, it sounds a little scary to me.

I'll talk to my doctor about those other products and see what he recommends.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I'd also say talk to your doctor. My mother's asthma was getting worse. and was also having insomnia, for which her doctor gave her sleeping pills etc. Turned out she was using Primatene mist without mentioning it. No wonder she couldn't sleep!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Ya, don't use that stuff. There are too many good prescriptions drugs available to risk using something that's so bad for your heart.

I've had pretty bad asthma since I was a kid and wouldn't you know it, mine asthma is exercise induced. Though, oddly enough, cardio is good for asthma, it strengthens your lungs. I've seen a huge improvement since I started running. I haven't needed my rescue inhaler in months. I take a daily preventative one now that seems to work fairly good for the most part. Symbicort it's called. If you're using a rescue inhaler several times a day, it's time to discuss a preventative medication with your doctor.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #8  
LLV

Thanks, everyone, for the responses
Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #9  

If you are using your rescue inhaler more than one or two times a week, your asthma is not under control. Instead of changing to over the counter junk, go back to your doctor and be re-evaluated. You may need other medication on a daily basis to control your asthma. I am on Advair, twice a day, and it has changed my life.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #10  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I used to take an inhaler (not albuterol but can't remember?) every day for my asthma. Once I got midway through high school, I started only needing an albuterol inhaler when I exercise. Its still hard for me to do more than light aerobics. My lungs start getting tight and I can't breathe, even with the inhaler sometimes.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

LLV, I agree with Quilter on this one. I've had asthma since I was 18 months old and was not able to control it at all after I turned 20. I was put on Serevent and Advair at that point and only had to take my albuterol once a month or so during strenuous workouts if at all. I'd strongly advise talking to your doctor about control meds that you take daily. It changed the way I functioned with and looked at asthma. I would not advise Primatene Mist. I've taken it before in emergency situations (forgot my albuterol) and the jitters I got were enough to force me to decide NEVER to take it if I could avoid it.

Another thing that helped was seeing an allergist. He did an allergy test and I started doing once-weekly allergy shots to control my reactions to pollen, grass, pet dander, etc. If your asthma is allergy-related, this may help.

Also, I think a lot depends on climate. I moved from hot and humid South Texas to dry and moderate West Texas and have not even had to be on my maintenance medication since then. I start taking it again a week before I go visit family and stay on it while there. It really helps. (I know moving is not an option for most, but it worked for me and I'm so glad!)

Anywho, good luck with your asthma. It's an affliction that I now know is totally controllable and I have a smart doctor to thank for that.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Reading all of your stories brings me back. I developed asthma when I was around 7 and spent my childhood and early adulthood dealing with it. When I was younger it wasn't very well controlled and I really overused albuterol (I would go through one inhaler in 2 weeks!). By the time I started better controlling it I was amazed at the change in my quality of life!!

I still keep an inhaler around just in case but probably need it only once every few MONTHS!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote