General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #1  
Token Vulcan

Default Who has high speed internet via cable?

Okay, I am just about at my fill of Verizon. First, 2 weeks ago I went to cancel a main phone line of an account that has other #s on it, and they have to charge me $40 to cancel a main account. When they separated the accounts, my DSL got deactivated because it was used with a secondary number, so I couldn't get online except by switching to dial-up. Both my desktop and my wireless notebook are affected. Monday I called so they could reactivate my account. Now, supposedly the account is reactivated (I can log into the website) but my internet access still isn't working. On my modem, the wireless light is constantly flashing, and the internet light has been off more than it's been on. I'm going to try to call them again because at this point I don't know if the problem is on my end or theirs. I've been told sometimes it takes a long time...why, I don't know. I've also read some horror stories online about Verizon. And, of course, when you call them, you're talking to somebody in India, literally.
Add to it, I have their cell phone service as well and my dinky Nokia prepaid Tracfone gets better reception than theirs...and I'm in NYC. Not impressed.

But now I am wondering about accessing via cable, like with Time Warner Road Runner or something. Does anybody have this? I have their cable service already. I was wondering, when it's installed, does it matter where the actual cable line is? My cable is attached to my living room tv, my computer is in the adjoining dining room. Also, about how much does it cost per month?

Thanks for any suggestions or info!
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #2  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

I have roadrunner. They actually run a new cable to where your computer is and then it is plugged into a box and another cable comes from the box to your computer. I have no idea what the cost is as it is a perk of my job but, I believe, it is around $45 a month. I LOVE it! I am currently looking to buy a home and the first question I always ask is if roadrunner is available...lol
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #3  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I also have Roadrunner. We have the cable plugged into a router in the livingroom and both of our laptops run wirelessly. Our apartment is about 1400SF with the livingroom at the front and master bedroom at the back. I cannot get a wireless signal in the master bedroom but can everywhere else in the apt. I'm not sure about the price for NY but here in NC we pay about $110 for roadrunner, cable (no premium channels), and HD.

I hope that helps. Good luck getting it all figured out.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #4  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

I have cable internet through my provider, Suddenlink. I switched from the telephone DSL to this back in October and have never regretted it. My computer is in the same room as my TV, so they spliced the cable inside and added another line for my computer. If yours is in another room, it would just be like adding a TV. They would have to be able to run a cable line into the room. Mine is about 34.95/mo.

Sounds like Verzion needs to improve their customer service! I can't stand dealing with a customer service rep whose native language is not english.
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #5  
Token Vulcan

So the additional cable line, that would run outside the house or inside?

Verizon is pleasant enough on the phone but they don't know what they're doing. And I'm serious about India. They outsource. The people are literally in India.

I saw a report on 60 Minutes once for H & R Block, I think it was. There were guys on the computers in India handling American income tax returns. And I believe AOL's customer service also outsources. I think we'd be surprised to learn just how much is outsourced.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have roadrunner both at home and at work. I love it and have not had any major problems with it. Occasionally I'll have an outage (just like your cable TV sometimes has outages) but they rarely last very long.

My DD says that the new fiber optic DSL is supposed to be better than cable, but how can you trust a 16 year old?!?! Besides, it isn't available here yet.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

We have Charter cable. Our extended basic cable television and highspeed internet together run about $52 a month. The high speed access allows us to save even more money, as we use Skype (using your computer as your phone) as our only phone. It runs us about $100 or less for an entire year, and now Skype products are available through Walmart.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #8  

I'm in NY state -- we have Road Runner high speed, digital phone and cable (basic) through Time Warner -- it's about $140 per month for all three. I love it. They hooked everything up but we have it all in one room.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

They run a new cable drop outside. They will drill through and run a wire into the room from an outside wall. They generally charge, a small fee, for additional drops, but sometimes they do them free or you can negotiate to try and get it reduced if they know it means the difference of getting your business or not.

The cable runs different for different areas, but I pay about $40/mo.

The bonus is that cable is faster than DSL.

And in many areas, you can also get digital phone service, so you could do away with Verizon completely.

The last, and final, time I used Verizon, I chewed them out, cancelled my service completely, and have never regretted it. I only used them then, was already displeased with their service previously, because we didn't have digital phone. Now we do, but I went with Vonage and have just kept that service. Verizon made too many mistakes on my bill, and I had too much downtime. I'll never use them again...even if I have to go without phone service.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #10  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I have Oceanic Time Warner Cable and pay about $92 p/mo just for basic cable and internet access. Although the digital phone service is offered as well, I am a bit leery about it. I keep thinking about the last time we had a natural disaster (the earthquake back in October), most cable subscribers were up the creek with no phone service. Of course, most people have mobile phones these days and have dropped their landlines completely, but I would be a little disturbed if I paid for a landline and was not able to access it, even in case of emergency just because their service went down. I have had very little trouble with the cable service, in fact, their customer service reps are right here on the island and if their lines are busy, you leave your name and number and they call you right back. The most I've ever had to wait was 15 minutes, both for trouble calls on the computer or with the TV.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #11  
Token Vulcan

Since my initial problem with my DSL, I spent 10 mins on the phone with a Verizon tech and got it up and running. That lasted about 3-4 days. It's been down ever since and last time I called days ago, they suggested a problem because there was an outage in their office in a town far away from where I live. I said, then why isn't my Verizon DSL at work 3 blocks away affected? She didn't know but said she'd give me an "open ticket." Well, it's been days and still nothing, so I've had it. I've called Time Warner Cable.

So they're coming next Tuesday to hook me up, plus give me a router for my wireless. They told me it would be cheaper if I went and bought a router and hooked that up myself but I figured let the guy who knows what he's doing, do it. Either way, Verizon "Offline" DSL's days are numbered at my house!

Thanks...you guys are a good source of info and opinions on all sorts of things.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 08-22-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I don't think it really matters what company you deal with everyone of them have people who don't do their jobs right. I've had tons of problems with Time Warner cable. Slow loading times, not connecting to network etc..

I've also had Charter cable and had extremely small band width and couldn't even get a 1mb connection even though I was paying for their top speed. Technicians never figured out the problem so I had to cancel it.
I,currently, have Bellsouth/AT&t DSL and it runs well no lag problems but, when you do have a problem their customer service is horrible. I've been told by a supervisor that it's due to the merge but I highly doubt it.

I hope your new connection works out well. The only major problem with cable is that you end up sharing bandwidth with everyone and at times the connection can be horrible. I've also experienced leeching which is an increasing problem. I haven't had the leeching problem since I switched to DSL.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

The bandwith useage is only a problem if you're in a very populated area, and even then, it's rare. I lived in the middle of VA Beach with cable for over a year, and never noticed any decrease in my speed.

And yes, all companies can have problems. I just had one recently with Comcast, a BIG one. I'm still waiting on them to work this issue out. But I've had CONSTANT issues with Verizon over the two times I was their customer. After the last issue, I swore never again. This is the ONLY real problem I've had from Comcast, and I've been their customer up north and now here. But Verizon, both up north and here, were continual problems of one kind or another, and that was just for phone service.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote