Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #1  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Default 40-Something Chat Thread

Ok, here it is! The brand new chat thread for the 40+ group of ladies! We're hoping this makes it easier for the new ladies/gents that come to the 40-something thread, looking for some new friends.

Let's start posting, supporting, and having some fun!!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Default Keeping Good Company

You, Your Friends, Your Friends of Friends

This is the title of an article that appeared in the Sunday New York Times. The article was focused on the impact of friends and friends of friends...broad networks of people who share commonalities.

The aritlce was prompted by the research reported last week that concluded obesity can spread from friend to friend. A detailed analysis of a large social network (12,067 people over 30 years) found that social networks may influence many types of behavior -- which can then affect an individual's health as well as that of the community.

Networks amplify whatever effect they are propagating. So. If the 3FC is propagating anti-obesity, healthful living, sharing success as well as struggles it seems to me that the network on this site, if qualified as social, works as well as it does because of everyone who is related here through common purpose.

We know support works but now we might better understand why. Any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #3  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi Diane.

Hope to see all the regulars on here. I think we will see more people once school starts to go back and we get back into our old routines.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 159/146/120

Height: 5'0"

Sometimes just knowing there is someone out there who knows how you feel and is struggling with the same problems you don't feel so alone.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #5  
Diane

You would not believe how many names (maybe 40-45?) I came up with just going back through the other threads. Hopefully, we'll get some good responses. I don't want to lose the ones who have been on the other threads, but I do know that new people had trouble with finding the chat threads. It was interesting going back through it, remembering people who are not posting much anymore. I hope they come back now. I just love talking to people who understand. We may not be in the same place with our weight loss, but we have a lot in common! It's amazing the advice we get here!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #6  
Eleny

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Hello. Glad for the new chat thread, I think it will help the new comers out, and hopefully we all can get together, ya ya ya :-).
Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hello! Thanks for the invite Diane.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #8  
Diane

Good morning all!
Glad to see you found the thread. I hope this helps newcomers, too. I know that many people are still busy with summer and kids, so I also think that there will be more joining in as we get into fall.

My kids are so anxious to get back to school. My son is starting middle school and he tells me at least 3 times a day that he can't wait! I'm ready for them to go back, too. We need a little more routine back in our lives!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello Diane invited me to this thread and I'm so pleased to come in and get to know you all.

Am I the only one that is sick of summer??? We actually have a heat advisory issued for today. I just dread stepping out the front door.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 164 164 124

Height: 5'4"

Talking Lizzy Gourmet

Hey all I'm new here a friend of "Slash" I'll be back to chat futher...Liz
Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #11  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Ok-I'm back! Been hangin out in the 100lb club. I too, am anxiously waiting for the fall. It's too bad that I don't get to see leaves change-I really miss that.
Glad that everyone is doing ok!

Let's get some juicy threads going......

-Jan
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #12  
aka Linda

S/C/G: 218/200/150

Height: 5'9'

Hello...thanks for the invite

Going to go see if I can find the article that Mermon mentioned, aren't humans interesting?

Moving house on Friday, it all happened very quickly and I am hoping the stress of it all on top of normal life does not send me into a chocolate/wine/ all that yummy stuff which I don't eat anymore craze!!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/see tracker/165

Default I'm In!

Hey all! Slash (Diane) good for you for starting this. I tried to jump in on the 47 an no idea.... thread but it was so long that I felt I would never catch up!

Anyway, I am 47 and I have no idea......! But I'm working on it. I thought the study on obesity as contagious was interesting but it always seemed pretty obvious to me. Even from my first long term friendship, I've been getting fat and thin with my closest friends. And this web-site has been so helpful for me. The 5-day challenge that Shycammie started really got me through my first few weekends in this WOL.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and share in this journey. Meanwhile, I've been looking at the "180's" for about 2 weeks now and can't wait to see it on my bathroom scale one of these hot mornings. If you hear screaming from the direction of Connecticut, you'll know why!

Have a great one!

Hope
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/see tracker/165

Me again! YUMMMMMMM.

I just cut up one summer squash (I have a gazillion of them in my garden), 1/2 tomato, a few fresh basil leaves. Put it all in a zip-lock bag with a little salt and a lot of pepper. Poked some holes in the bag and microwaved it for 3 minutes. YUMMMMMM!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #15  
Baseball mom on a mission

S/C/G: 152/152/125

Height: 5.1

Hi everyone. I'm new here but thought I would post and say a quick Hi.

It's way way too hot here AGIAN!!! and our air is on the fritz with a repair bill that is out of our league right now so we are living without

I can't wait until school starts despite our crazy schedule with baseball they are bored and driving me crazy!!!
Closed Thread