Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #1  

Default Kick-*** vegan chili that carnavors love too!

hello veggies - although I'm not a vegan a lot of my friends and family are and I helped cater a vegan party recently... everything went over pretty well but this chili was a SUPER HIT!! There was NONE left at all and my friend's veg-phobic husband shocked her by going back for seconds - and thirds!

I made a lot of trial and error recipes before settling on this one, the yves mexican style good ground (available at Whole Foods) is really so much better than other meat subs I tried. The trick is to cook the sauce first so it gets a nice complexity to it, and put the fake meat in last, unlike the real stuff it does not benefit from long, slow cooking, it's perfect just heated and then let it all rest in the fridge overnight.

Sautee ONE LARGE CHOPPED ONION and FOUR CLOVES OF MINCED GARLIC in some VEGGIE OIL. Add ONE CHOPPED GREEN PEPPER.

When that is limp, not too brown or anything, stir in TWO CANS DICED TOMATOES, ONE CAN "EL PATO" JALAPENO SAUCE (GREEN LABEL) ONE CAN "EL PATO" TOMATO SAUCE (YELLOW LABEL,) 2 TABLESPOONS OF BROWN SUGAR, ONE TABLESPOON OF UNSWEETENED COCOA POWDER, 2 TEASPOONS CUMIN, HALF A CUP OF RED WINE. Simmer on low for 15 minutes or so then add ONE CAN OF DRAINED BLACK BEANS and ONE CAN OF DRAINED PINTO BEANS and ONE CAN OF WATER. I like to rinse canned beans, then tend to be salty, there is so much salt in everything else.

Bring the heat back up to a simmer; then add ONE PACKAGE OF YVES VEGGIE CUISINE "GOOD ROUND" MEXICAN STYLE. This is at Whole Foods where the tofu is in the fridge. You just sort of crumble it in there.

Then add TWO TABLESPOONS OF MASA (TORTILLA) FLOUR DISSOLVED IN 1/4 CUP WATER. Let this simmer about five more minutes and VOILA!! Great Halloween party food for a crowd.

K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #2