Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

Question Fingernails

Since starting my low carb eating plan July 11 my fingernails have slowly started to break, peel and weaken. They are as short as I can make them right now because they have peeled away to nothing. What can I do, is it the way I'm eating or something else? I might mention that my nails have never been really strong but have been much stronger than they are now. Any suggestions?
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I have the same problem, but I've had it all my life. I'll be interested in hearing what others say. Thanks for asking this question!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

i thought this was going to be the opposite question. cause lately my nails have been really growing ridiculously fast.... i wonder whats causing both of our issues...

do you drink alot of water? ive been eating a lot lot lot of carrots lately... i dont know, thats strange.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Back when I was doing Atkins and on a low-carb diet board there was lots of talk about this happening. They recommended taking Biotin. I was impressed with the women reporting great results with their hair and nails.

I've been taking one 1000 mcg tablet of Biotin a day. It's cheap and can be bought at Wal-Mart. I wear acrylics so my fingers nails are already damaged but I hope that the Biotin keeps them from becoming more so. My toe nails are very strong and grow like crazy. My hairstylist thought my hair was breaking until she realized that I had a ton of new growth all over my head. My hair has never been this great.

So, I don't know if it is the Biotin, all the other vitamins I pop, the healthy diet, the tons of water, or what. All I know that I'm not stopping to find out.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

I know there are some creams/lotions for just hand and nails.
I've not tried them, but a friend of mine uses them all the time, and it helps her.
Thanks for mentioning Biotin, I think that could be helpful to my hair, that I've damaged....
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I haven't noticed a change in my fingernails, but I have noticed I'm losing more hair each day that I normally do, which is common with losing weight. I know that fingernail and hair growth are similar processes in the body, so I can see how changes in diet could affect both. I just hope the hair thing doesn't get worse! I make sure to take my vitamins since I understand that some of the problem can be with not getting enough nutrients like zinc, but they have vitamin A too which can increase hair loss. Gah! It's all so confusing...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

I will try the Biotin, I already take several additional supplements besides my every day vitamin tab. (Potassium, magnesium, zinc, Omega 3 fish oil) My hair has been thinning also but I thought that was because of my age (60). Thanks for the suggestions.
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

There is also a product by Sally Henson (clearish pink color) in the nail polish section that hardens and smooths nails out. I've used it and it works quite well!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #9  
Monkey see, Monkey do!

Height: 5'6

Had the same problem with nails and hair. Started taking some vitamin B-complex (B1, B2, B5, B6 included) and in my case it helps!

If I'm not mistaken, Biotin also belongs to B-vitamin family

Pita, Thanks for mentioning it
wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Over the last 20 months, as I've been working on my weight loss, my nails have been getting better than before. I'm sure it's because every day I've been taking a mineral multi-vitamin and a calcium citrate multi-mineral supplement. My nails normally tear very easily, but have become stronger and grow longer.

When I did Weight Watchers, years ago, I lost a lot of hair several months in to the program. Now I think it was lack of protein, although at the time, I began taking a mineral multi-vitamin daily. The hair loss gradually slowed. and then stopped, even though I continued on with the program. My nails improved then, too. My sister said that prenatal vitamins had a wonderful effect on her nails, each time she took them.

Rainy
mrainy is offline   Reply With Quote