Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #1  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Pop-ups are everywhere!

I noticed yesterday, that every link I clicked on here had a pop-up attached to it. I was used to the 2 that popped up the first time I logged on everyday. And I understand how advertising keeps this site free. I also read over the post about pop-ups. I ran my spy-ware program, deleted cookies, temporary internet files and anything else I could think of. Still getting a pop-up with every click. I even turned off Active-X....which just created a whole new box asking to enable it.

I guess this should be in the help thread, but since there are so many people active here, I am hoping someone will let me know if they are experiencing this too. I haven't been online at home, so I have no idea if its just this computer. Help! lol They're driving me crazy!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

I know my pop-up blocker has been working overtime & it definitely slows things down.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Same with mine. It's seriously annoying!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Yes Nicki, the past 24 hours have been horrid! I have never once had an issue with this site and when I got home from work yesterday and logged in, every single click between screens was accompanied by my pop-up blocker pinging. I am glad others have noticed!
p.s. I'm on my office laptop as we speak and the same thing is happening here as at home.

Last edited by fatburner77; 08-17-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added postscript
Old 08-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #5  

*Raises hand*

Every page I click on triggers a pop up. As the others have said, I don't mind the two that help to support this site, but something is up today. Not sure what it is...

I'm not having the problem on any other site.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #6  
it's always something

Can you tell me what the ad is for? I'll investigate
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Can you tell me what the ad is for? I'll investigate
The only one I currently have open is for Netflix (from Tribal Fusion).

When I was here earlier, I turned my pop up blocker on(sorry), and in an effort to see what the ads were for (after I read your thread), I tried to turn the blocker off, but it's not working..

ETA
No matter what I try, I now can't 'allow' pop ups. Typically, if I'm on a site and there's a pop up that I need to see, I just click allow, but it's not working. Very strange, indeed.

ETA
I just turned the blocker COMPLETELY off, and saw some 'download' stuff in the bottom of my browser window. Off to run spyware thingy!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #8  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

I clicked around to get the pop-up blocked, then selected to 'temporarily allow pop-ups' and it was an Atkins Advantage ad.

Now since I've temporarily allowed them they quit. HHmm...funny.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I haven't had that problem. I get the first one or two first thing in when I click onto the site.

Here is a tip that might or might not help. Worth trying though

Go to Tools, Internet Options, click Privacy tab, and see where your cookie setting is. Mine is set at medium-high and seems to be doing ok for me.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #10  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
The only one I currently have open is for Netflix (from Tribal Fusion).
Tribal fusion caps pops at 1 per 12 hours, so that should be the only one from them.

Using ad blockers can have the opposite effect because some ad codes are able to force through. However, if they are not able to set the cookie that limits how often they appear, then they can't cap off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
ETA
I just turned the blocker COMPLETELY off, and saw some 'download' stuff in the bottom of my browser window. Off to run spyware thingy!
It's downloading images. That's normal if an image from an ad is slow to load. We only accept ads from reputable ad networks, no spyware involved
Old 08-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #11  
it's always something

Looks like it's the Atkins ad. I'll have it taken care of asap, thanks for letting me know about the problem. I'm closing the thread because we've tracked down the problem, and I'm afraid more people will "me too" the thread and miss that it's in the process of being resolved

Thanks!
Closed Thread