Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 AM   #1  

Default Proteins and dieting

I was just wondering how much protein you should eay when you are trying to lose weight. I see all of these high protein meal bars and things like that, but i am conserned these are going to make me gain weight.
Thoughts..?
Britty1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It isn't the protein, or anything else in the bars that make you gain weight-calories are the key factor. To lose weight, you simply take in more calories than you burn each day. (By eating less of them, and burning more of them by exercising and being more active.)

Protein bars and powders are on the market because active people, those who exercise regularly, need more protein than those who are sedentary. Protein is the fuel for your muscles, (just as calcium is for the bones and teeth).

If you don't take in enough protein, then your muscles don't have the fuel that they need to maintain and/or grow. If you eat a diet that doesn't contain enough protein, and you are dieting and exercising-then you are not giving it the fuel that it needs.

The idea of exercising is to gain muscle, and lose fat. This is how you go from jiggly/flabby, to firm and shapely. The exercise works the muscles, and burns fat-but in order for it to work you also have to fuel the body properly.

You don't have to use protein bars or powders, as long as you eat a diet that contains enough protein-eggs, chicken, fish, lean beef or pork, soy, dairy, etc.

Protein bars and powders are a more convenient way to add extra protein in the diet, if you need it.

The bars won't make you gain weight, if you are staying with a low calorie diet suitable for your weight and activity level.

Remember-you want to increase muscle, and burn fat, while you lose weight.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Proteins

I read somewhere you take your current weight, divide it by two. And that's how many grams of protein you should have a day. But I could be wrong.
jazzy75149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #4  

The way I lose fat most effectively from exercise is not from lifting weights and building muscle, but from doing cardio work and breathing very hard. Protein seems to help with the stamina for this.
glyconutrients is offline   Reply With Quote