General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default Spam bombing AAAAAAAAGH RANT

For the longest time my boss has been getting all the standard spam in all its infinite permutations:
"May God bless you dear friend, don't be surprised to get a letter from someone you don't know but I believe it is only a day that we become good friends, I know where there is $50 million in a bank account that has to be gotten out of the country before the corrupt government gets their hands on it ..."
"Congratulations, you've just won the Super Euro Lottery! As part of our fraud prevention scheme, please don't tell anyone until we've transferred the money to you, contact your claims agent immediately ..."
"ENHANCE YOUR MANHOOD! GET V!@6RA CHEAP!"
You know the drill. Up until now, I've been mostly spared except for the odd African letter which I admit is always good for a chuckle, but lately my boss's wife (she works here too) complained that she eliminated 50 spam messages from her inbox. The very next day, I started getting spam-bombed. For me, the ones I've bothered to check have been been blank messages with an attachment which is a stock tip for a Chinese seed company, ballasted with 4 or 5 pp of garbage text to make the attachment look bigger than it is, the better to defeat spam filters. (Right now, with the bad publicity about Chinese imports [lead paint in toys, tainted food additives, counterfeit toothpaste], any investment in a Chinese ag company would seem to me like throwing good $ after bad?) It's bad enough that my luck has run out, but my boss gets the same cr*p and he sends it to me asking me to check it (because his e-mail program is very primitive and doesn't allow him to open attachments and he doesn't want to take the time to learn how to use a webmail program). I keep telling him, if the FROM line has a name he doesn't know and there's not a note saying "Dear Prof. x, I am interested in doing research with you", it's probably spam and you should just trash it and think no more about it. (Besides, what if it's full of viruses, yes we've gotten the "Hi, family member sends you an e-card" drill too?)

I'm not writing this to troll for advice, I've already found out how to activate spam-busters on the server, so please don't give me any. I'm just writing this to vent
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Vent away! Spam is the bane of all of us. I completely understand!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Update 08.16: My boss Prof. x is such an ivory-tower bubblehead! I told him before that if he gets "Hi, family member sends you an e-card" it's spam and if he opens it it's going to infect his computer with viruses, if somebody really sent him an e-card it would give the sender's name instead of a generic announcement in mushy English. Today I get back from lunch and he sent me another one and asked "what is it"!! When the heck will he ever wise up about anything that doesn't have to do with x-ology?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote