Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default A Bread Thread.......................

Would you choose a bread made with maltose over brown sugar? I know there was a thread talking about the amount of sugar in bread back in the spring, but I couldn't find the one I was thinking of using the search feature.

The differences in the nutrition label are:
100% WW, regular // 100% WW, Sugar Free

cals=50 // same
fat =1g // 1g
sodium=115 mg // 110mg
carbs=10g // 11g (huh?)
fiber=2g // same
sugars=1g // 0 (but lists malatol of 1g separately)
protein=4g // 3g

ingredients; stone ground ww flour, water, brown sugar (reg) or malitol (SF), wheat gluten, yeast, other chemicals.

The taste difference is unnoticeable, altho the SF variety seems to be lighter and smoother, but that could be random difference in baking length - sometimes the crusts are darker or lighter from week to week. This is Nature's Own brand, and the same variety except one is regular 100% WW and the other is SF 100% WW. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe View Post
Would you choose a bread made with maltose over brown sugar? I know there was a thread talking about the amount of sugar in bread back in the spring, but I couldn't find the one I was thinking of using the search feature.

The differences in the nutrition label are:
100% WW, regular // 100% WW, Sugar Free

cals=50 // same
fat =1g // 1g
sodium=115 mg // 110mg
carbs=10g // 11g (huh?)
fiber=2g // same
sugars=1g // 0 (but lists malatol of 1g separately)
protein=4g // 3g

ingredients; stone ground ww flour, water, brown sugar (reg) or malitol (SF), wheat gluten, yeast, other chemicals.

The taste difference is unnoticeable, altho the SF variety seems to be lighter and smoother, but that could be random difference in baking length - sometimes the crusts are darker or lighter from week to week. This is Nature's Own brand, and the same variety except one is regular 100% WW and the other is SF 100% WW. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
For me , the amount of sugar in the bread, 1 gram wouldn't be enough for me to worry about. 1 gram is about 1/4 t of sugar. Being the fiber and fat levels are the same and the protein almost the same, I'd pick the one that tasted best... but I'd also check for the one with the less fake stuff.. chemicals etc.

Is this the thread you were looking for? http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101965
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

This is the whole foods forum - I am a firm believer in whole foods over fake foods whenever possible (with the caveat that I am not ready to give up my sugar free latte, heh - gotta have at least one vice!). I would choose a more natural brown sugar over a fake sugar-free sweetener for bread. Honey is good too! Not even a question for me, when I read bread labels, one of the things I am looking for to avoid is artificial sweeteners - that is a definite NO for me. I also look for bread that is higher in fiber, I prefer 4 or 5 grams per slice
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Glory on this. I'd rather have bread with a smidgen of real sugar versus fake sugar. I prefer honey though. Honestly, it's so difficult to find bread without HFCS that I think a little brown sugar isn't a big deal.

Also, isn't malatol a sugar alcohol? I have problems with intestinal distress whenever I consume sugar alcohols. I'm not sure if everyone reacts this way, but I know it is common.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #5  

My digestive system does not tolerate sugar alcohols, and I think that zenor77 is right about malatol. It is a more basic question than whole foods vs processed for me--it makes me physically ill.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #6  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

So what bread do you eat?
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

ezekiel
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the other posters, if given the choice I will always choose the real stuff over fake. And 1 gram isn't a lot to worry about
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidingtazz View Post
So what bread do you eat?
This is my favorite bread. The packaging looks a little different in the US - but it's the same stuff
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #10  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Since this is here, I might ask my question.

The bread we eat says it's whole wheat. But at the very end of the list, under the "less than 2%" part, it says Enrichment. Is this the same as Enriched wheat flour, but them labeling it a different way to fool people? If it is I am getting a different bread.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #11  

I suppose a baker could enrich whole wheat bread even though it isn't mandatory like refined wheat products. What is the first ingredient on the list? Is it wheat flour, enriched wheat flour, unbleached wheat flour? Those are refined products. If it is whole wheat flour, 100% whole wheat, stone ground whole wheat or something like that, you are probably OK.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Blessed, It should say 100% whole wheat if it is. I"ve seen bread that says enriched whole wheat flour, or just whole wheat flower, and then yes they are enhancing it. It should say 100%, or even 100% stone ground ww.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This is my favorite bread

http://www.the-baker.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1

They don't list all their breads on their website but it is really good bread

I will buy other breads like ezekiel occassionally or else I'll compare ingredients of available breads and choose what I think is the best choice.

I go for all natural ingredients, limited amount of added sugar and no more than 70 calories per slice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #14  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I've been getting either Nature's Own or Arnold's double fiber wheat bread. I'll have to see how they compare.
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #15