Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #1  
luvscoffee

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Smile Nessa's Oatmeal bars:question

For all of you that have tried and recommended Nessa's oatmeal breakfast bars I have a few questions. Does anyone know if I can use non fat milk instead of dry milk powder? Would the recipe be too runny? I am really excited to try this recipe. Also does anyone have a simple phase 2 oatmeal cookie recipe. I found one in the recipe section for Phase 2, but would like to know if there are others you've tried.
luvscoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I don't think you'd be able to use liquid milk in place of the dry milk, because it's not that you mix the dry milk with water for the recipe. I believe the dry milk powder provides protein, which compensates for the lack of using egg. Pick up a "tub" at the store next time you're there. Mine stocks it on the bottom shelf under the evaporated milk and condensed milk. Since you use a whole cup in the recipe, you'll be able to use it up in no time!

Regarding oatmeal cookies...you'd have to run the nutritional info to see if it's worth it for you, but you could try substituting applesauce for some of the butter (I wouldn't substitute a whole cup of applesauce for a cup of butter, maybe divide the cup between smashed banana and applesauce or use a little bit of margerine and the rest applesauce) and liquified silken tofu for the egg or just use egg white instead of a whole egg. I made cookies like that for a vegan friend and they turned out good - not the same as if I'd used butter and egg, but not awful.

Hope that helps!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #3  
luvscoffee

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Thanks Kara! That really helps me out a lot. Have a good day.
luvscoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

You're welcome. I promise to have a good day if you promise to have a good day, OK?!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Quick Question I have Powdered Egg whites. COuld I use them instead of the powdered milk?
We're road tripping on Thursday and I'm curious to try the famous Nessa bars!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I would think that would work just as well. If you try it, let us know how they turn out. I wonder if it would give the bars too much of an eggy taste?
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

hmm I kinda thought the whites didn't have a taste?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote