Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Running vrs walking

hey

I'm sure this topic may have been covered before but please humor me...

I weight lift, and need to work on my cardio. I'm attracted to running because it is something that alludes me currently... I want to be able to do it....

What is better for weight loss? Is one better than the other? I would think running would be better because you are pushing yourself harder...

any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I'm not a runner, only cause I can't yet... heh, but I think they are both good for weight loss as far as I've read. The key is to keep your heart rate elevated in a good zone either way.

You will burn more calories in a short time period with running though so if you have a good fitness base you might look at running or a couch to 5k program. If walking very briskly is enough to get your heart rate up start from there you'll be getting your cardio geared up for running.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #3  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

i do a mix between running and walking. run for 2 min. walk for 1 min. it lets me go for longer distances while keeping my heart rate up. at the moment i can go up to 2.2k this way.
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I started off walking b/c I couldn't run. I started working on running about 2 months ago b/c I was finding the walking just wasn't challenging me anymore and am up to doing 3 miles now. I'm not walking anymore except to just warm up/cool down. I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of weight I've been losing since starting to run. Though, I've noticed a major difference in the amount of muscle in my legs and I don't spend as much time running as I did walking. When I was walking I was going 10k's, now I'm running only 2-3 miles.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks for the replies. Like someone mentioned, walking isn't that challenging for me as it used to be. for as fast as I need to walk to keep my heart rate up, I may as well run or jog. i like the idea of interval training between walking and running...now i just have to get outside and do it!
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote