General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Default Short vs Long

Ok I've had medium to long hair my whole life and I think I'm ready for a change. I do have some worries though about going short-I've heard in the past friends/family mention that if you are heavier it's best to have longer hair to "balance out" your entire frame. This is kind of stuck in my head so I'm worried about going too short and maybe not liking the results. Do any of you have opinions or have any of your hairdressers offered advice on this. I know I know it's ONLY hair but there is such good feedback on 3FC's that I thought I'd run it by you guys first.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Hmmm. When I was overweight, I was told by beauticians that SHORTER hair looked better.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven View Post
Hmmm. When I was overweight, I was told by beauticians that SHORTER hair looked better.
Really? Maybe I won't wait to lose weight first maybe I'll just take the plunge! I think this 90 degree weather with 95 percent humitity is also really getting to me. Everyday I have my hair tied in a granny bun because I start exercising and get so hot from the humidity that I can't stand it. Thanks for the reply!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Go for it! I have had short hair many times and it is always a refreshing change (so easy to style!) even when I was heaviest. And by the time I get tired of it, it has grown out LOL!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

I've never gone short, but you might try a chin length or just touching the shoulders length if you are too scared of a drastic change. I think I looked better with my hair mid-neck length but my DH likes long hair. I'm trying that again for a while.
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #6  

Go for it! I just had 10" cut off (to just below chin lenghth) and I've been told I look taller and slimmer. I'm already 6' tall, so I don't really need that, but I'll take the slimmer.

Even my mom said the haircut looked flattering, and believe me, she doesn't give out compliments easily.

I was worried about the whole "balancing out" thing too, but I really love my new look!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

I love having short hair! One of the gals here has a blog I recently read and she pointed out that if you're fat- you're fat... your hair isn't going to conceal that *LOL* point being - do what you want!

I think if you're concerned you could go in and talk to the person who is going to do your hair. I have gone in and asked them what they thought would look good -or just said do whatever you want! Usually it has good results (one horrible time I wound up with a mullet but I don't wanna talk about it *LOL*)
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Yes, talk to your stylist!!

He/she should be shaping your hair to your face shape and what's age appropriate and those styles usually include either a shorter or longer style. Maybe call first and then possibly they could have you come in early and look at some styles in those books/mags they usually have in the salon and you could pick a cut!

I love new hair cuts! Let us know what you decide!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I had a traumatizing hair experience or two when I was younger. When I was six my hair was so long that I could sit on it! My mom ended up cutting it in my sleep because I wouldnt let her anywhere near me with scissors. I think i cried for a good couple of days and wouldnt go outside.

Then when I was 13 or 14, I got my hair cut to about my jaw bone (right beneath my earlobes) length. And omg, worst time of my life! My hair shot out like an afro and it was so wavy and frizzy all the time. Too short for a pony tail as well.

Now, I have hair that goes down to the small of my back, and I cant take care of it. My boyfriend styles (straightens) it for me on occasion. He's the best!

Some people (like me) just cant pull off short hair styles. I would take the advice some have given here and go to a your stylist and ask their opinion. You could even tell them to "be creative" if you're feeling really adventurous! ^-^
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My daughter and I both think I look like a little boy with short hair. I really like my ponytail even if it isn't very stylish.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well I have long hair now for the first time in my life. And yeah, it's hot, and I keep it in a pony tail during the summer just about all the time. But in the winter, I LOVE styling it and letting it hang down and show off that length. I've just never had it long before, so for me, I love having long hair now. Even with the hot weather...I've THOUGHT of cutting it a few times, but I know that I can't go right back if I change my mind, so I won't do it. I'll just keep putting it up and wait out the heat.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #12  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I'm the opposite of the OP. I had short hair almost all my life. For the last 3+ years I've been growing it out and is now down to the middle of my back. I never actually realised how wavy my hair was until now, in fact sometimes I'm still surprised.

I think I personally look better with long hair, but I've been fat and had short hair too. With the right style (and stylist!) I'm sure you could pull it off! I would recommend going gradually as well, to get more used to it
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

When I was younger, I always had short hair...extremely short hair...pixie cut. I absolutely HATED it!!! When I got into junior high school, I told my Mother I wanted to grow my hair long. I am now 46 years old and it is still long (to my waist). There is so much more I can do with it long...ponytail, braids, french twists, up-do's. I LOVE my long hair!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #14  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I've had long hair and short when overweight. In fact, it was so short that you could compare it to Natalie Portman's cut in V for Vendetta. And it was so long at one point that it was almost to my waist. It all depends on the cut and how you wear it. Good luck!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I personally look much thinner with short hair. My hair is very wavy and full and if it gets too long then I just look round. Short hair shows off my new jawline and cheekbones.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote