Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Why do we have to lose weight before WLS?

Hi,

Just wondering why we have to lose weight before the surgery??? Also, has anyone on here had the mini-gastric bypass? Just read about it - there are so many options!!

Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Lori -

I haven't had it but i did research it quite a bit. The girls who had it can give you more info but my understanding is there are a few reasons. One its easier to operate on someone who is lighter and its less of a surgical risk. Two you have to change your diet post-op so they want you to get used to it. Three they want to know if your serious about it!

-muse
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #3  

The primary reason is to "shrink the liver".

The liver is the organ that is basically "in the way" during surgery. They have to sort of flip it around in order to have access to the rest of your organs. If your liver is enlarged and fatty from fatty foods, then it is harder to move around and is less pliable.

If you go in to surgery having lost some lbs, your liver will be less "fatty" and will be more easily moved around - kind of softer I guess.

If the liver is too large and obstructing their view, they will have to change the surgery from laproscopic to open.

It doesn't mean that you have to lose 30 lbs necessarily, I've seen people that have lost 5 lbs and had it done laproscopically.

If you carry alot of weight in your tummy, some doctors will ask you to lose a specific amount of lbs so that they have better access to the organs. For me, I was evenly fat (distributed) so my surgeon didn't require it.

Some surgeons also require a diet as a "test of your commitment" to this surgery. Personally, I think that is crap. Pre-op eating is totally different from post op eating. Some also require a *shudder* liquid diet for weeks before surgery.

I lost 32 lbs before surgery and was glad that I did not have to go on a liquid diet. As long as I "came in losing", my surgeon was happy.

Dawn
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

and a PS - while MANY people who undergo WLS have fatty liver, not everyone does [raising hand, here!]. BUT, losing weight is ALWAYS a good idea before surgery - every few pounds gone improves your risk profile.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #5  

Hi Muse, Dawn and Jiffypop,

Okay that all makes sense. The less weight the less risk - I did the Optifast diet after Oprah did it in the 80's - I realize some of you were probably BORN in the 80's! So anyway, I was supposed to lose X amount of pounds BEFORE starting Optifast. I was SO GOOD! I lost like 8 pounds the week before - I did the Optifast flawlessly and only lost 3 pounds the first week - now mind you that was 11 in two weeks of course, but I didn't see it that way! LOL!! My DH and I went straight to Shoney's food bar!! Boy was I sick that night! How crazy was that? So anyway, sure I'll diet but not go crazy because post-op numbers would make me nuts if they weren't big!!!
Lori
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

WHO was born in the 1980s???? not me!!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #7  

Me neither - 1970 for me

Dawn
Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #8  

I knew Dawn was a young one!! Your pictures on your website showed me that! You are such a beautiful girl! I was born in 1955 and look all of that, but not for long ladies!! Not for long!!! The fighting Lori has her gloves on!! By the way Dawn, what is a Gazelle? Didn't you say that was the name of the equipment you workout on at home? Years ago (about 75 pounds ago) I worked out on the Nordic Track - I LOVED it! Had the tapes to watch on TV - Telluride, CO etc. to where you felt like you were there - still have that Nordic Track and can't wait to get it back out one of these days!

Thanks again, ladies! You're the best!!!
Lori
Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Nope no 80's here... although I was a early '70s baby.

Ah the liver thing makes a lot of sense too. I know lots of surgons ask you to try and lose weight even for non-gastic things... Apparently they heavier you are the more of a risk you are period.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #10  

Young? I'm almost 37! hee! I guess it's all relative.

The gazelle is the Tony Little Gazelle exercise. I had that previous to my treadmill. I sold the Gazelle as soon as I got the treadmill.

I bought a Nordic Track treadmill in January and have since kicked the snot out of it.

Best investment I ever made because I knew I'd use it.

Dawn
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #11  
Old Cackler

you're all CHILDREN!!!!! 1953 and still kicking!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #12  

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Jiffypop!!

We are only 2 years apart, girlfriend!!! We adopted our 4 youngest children and their friends from school have grandparents our age! Our twin girls are 11 and our boys are 10 and 9! Our biological miracle baby is 21! These young kids are another reason I HAVE to get this weight off!!!

Lori