Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #1  
Nanette

S/C/G: 174/151.8/140

Height: 5.6

Default Kashi Go Lean Hot Cereal

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this Kashi go lean instant hot cereal?
I was shopping yesterday and Kashi go lean crunch was on my list, I like making my trail mix with this. I came across this right by the cereal near the oatmeal section I don't know how I have ever missed this. I had this for breakfast this morning with my 2 hard boiled eggs and it was to die for!! I bought the truly vanilla flavor because it had less sugar and it was incredible. Something hot for me for breakfast is always a plus especially since I can make it in the microwave at work without having to bring out a pan.
Calories 150
fat 2 g
sodium 100 mg
potassium 250 mg
carbohydrate 25 g
fiber 7 g
sugar 6g
protein 8 g

Compared to Kashi Go Lean Crunch
calories 190
fat 3 g
sodium 95 mg
potasssium 300 mg
carbohydrate 36 g
fiber 8 g
sugars 13 g
protein 9 g

I think I will be having the hot cereal a little more often than the cereal. I would appreciate any comments anyone has about this.
bahamadream10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

I have and while I liked the numbers, it didn't taste very good to me. The consistency seemed wrong somehow. I will probably mix it into regular oatmeal until it's gone.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #3  

Height: 5'2"

Hi Nanette,
I was told by my COD not to use the Kashi Go Lean Hot cereal. It is not on the approved list of cereals. I still have some sitting in my cupboard. If I have any doubts about what to use, I bring in the nutritional information into the COD and have them check it for me.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #4  

I have been thinking about my response and I think that I can give you a more complete explanation.
Here is the problem with the Go lean instant hot cereal. Fiber One equals 1 starch and has a recommended serving size of 3/4 cup, calories 90. The hot Go lean is almost twice the calories.
So the instant Go lean is the equivalent of almost 2 starches as compared to Fiber One.
Compared to the recommended calories for 1 slice of whole grain bread (40-45calories per slice) it is almost 4 starches.
Bottom line is that this is not going to help you lose weight.
Before I started LAWL I loved to use the instant flavored oatmeals, but they are not on the plan either.
Maybe if you ate one half of the packet, you could call it 1 starch, but with the prep-packaged instant cereals that is hard to do and probably not enough cereal to make it worthwhile.
Additionally, the Go Lean Crunch numbers that you listed above are for 1 cup, but the serving size listed in the new program books is 1/2 cup.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #5  
Nanette

S/C/G: 174/151.8/140

Height: 5.6

Lynn-
Thank you so much for your advice I guess my husband will be eating kashi hot cereal until it is gone, you have saved me from gaining weight. I can't thank you enough. I should of known something I really enjoy is something I am not allowed, I should of known better. Thanks again.
bahamadream10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #6  

Glad I could help. I have found that it is sometimes it is the little things that can stall us. I have learned so much while on this program. I am glad to pass on anything that I have learned by my mistakes.