Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #1  
Meg

Smile Maintainers Chat - Week of August 6 - 12

Good morning, all my fellow coffee drinkers! Sounds like a lot of us start our days off with a mug of coffee and 3FC. Best way to start the day!

We're back to hot weather today after a rainy day yesterday. I need to work outside so will try to get out there early. I just love reading about Lily's garden and all her goodies from it! Alas, I only grow herbs and weeds.

I'm just starting The Beck Diet Solution - have any of you read it? It's not a diet book; rather, it uses principles of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (I think that's it) to convince yourself to think like a thin person. At least that's what I took from the first chapter! I think like a formerly fat person and I'm not sure I could ever think like a thin person. I'll read on and see what it's about.

Five cats are insisting on breakfast, so I gotta run. Check in and let us know how you're doing.

And if you're a lurker, please say "hi"! We absolutely love it when people join us, regardless of where they may be in their personal weight loss journey. We're all in this together.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

'Morning! I'm about to go out for my morning walk. Today is 1 month since I started maintenance--I started at 152.5 (on new scale) and ended this morning at 152.4. I did fluctuate during the month, of course--high 154, low 151.2. But I'm feeling really good about keeping my weight steady!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #3  

Good Morning-I'm having my coffee and checking in. I did well on eating this week, even with a church carry in yesterday. It's supposed to be hot and humid this week so we'll see how exercise goes. I have an MD appointment today. I'm starting those boring weekly appointments. I am then taking 11yo ds school shopping. It is, according to him, a form of torture, but the child looks like a 'rag picker' to quote my mother. Have a great week all.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

Jay, I'm so very happy for you. You are doing so incredibly marvelous.

Joy, oh how I remember those weekly appointments. You are really getting down to the wire now. Back to school shopping - ugh! - this summer is practicaly over, isn't it?

I hope everyone had a great weekend and managed to stay away from "off" foods a heck of a lot better then I did. I woke up kind of late this morning, which is a rarity. Although I weigh in the mornings, I usually wait about 2 hours til after I've woken up to get an "official" reading. I hopped on the scale this AM, didn't like what I saw. I woke up about 15 mins. ago (which is unheard of for me, timewise). I think instead of waiting another 1 3/4 hours, I'd have to wait a month and 3/4 to get a good official reading. It wasn't pretty. Let's just say that I should be heading over to the Oh censored thread just about now.

I did have a lovely, lovely weekend though. Lot of sun, swimming, visiting friends, dancing, eating out (bad Robin), barbeques (bad Robin), visiting my daughter at her sleep away camp. I will have to do some brain readjusting though. These weekends have just been awful for me. Nothing like in the past awful, but nothing like should be allowed in my present or future either. And of course I am going away again this coming weekend.

Back on plan for me today.

Yes, Meg, I actually have the book, The Beck Diet Solution. I started reading it. It did seem interestng to me in fact. I've only read a couple of chapters or so and so far it makes a lot of sense to me. THese are things I have incorportated into my life. Except for the past few weekends of course.

Well, I'm off for a walk now. We're supposed to be in for a hot, humid week. Yuck. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-06-2007 at 08:33 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #5  
Meg

Congratulations, Jay! I think you've got it!! What keys to your success would you share with someone who's brand new to maintenance?

Robin, 'tis the struggle of maintenance. It's easier to stay focused when we in the losing phase, for some reason. My first three months of maintenance were incredibly rocky while I was sorting it all out. But I know you, and you're going to be 1000% on track today. And your scale will be right back to where it should be by the end of the week, I predict.

Oh Joy, this is a rotten time to be pregnant! How much longer now?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Today or tomorrow is the day I see if I have actually been at or under goal for a month. How Freudian is it that I don't remember how long I lasted other times?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Meg! Thanks! And Robin, too! Hello, Joy!

Tips for new maintainers... off the top of my head.

1. It's natural to feel afraid. Just don't panic.
2. You still have to plan every day--but you now have a little more room to experiment. (I still use FitDay, I just set my start weight and goal weight the same.)
3. Raise your calories only a little bit at a time, say, 100 or 200 cals more per day, and then see how that goes for a week. You're experimenting in finding a level that works consistently for you. Ups and downs are OK, though. I still sometimes have 1300 cal days.
4. Watch the nutrient proportions. I noticed that suddenly carbs and fats were going up, and protein was dropping (in terms of percentage). I pulled back closer to 30/40/30 (p/c/f).
5. Keep doing your exercise. You can let up a bit, though! I now rest from the gym after every two days or three days, instead of going three or four days in a row.
6. Keep weighing. I still weigh every day because I want to see the direction things are going. Even though up to 2 pounds' gain for me is just water weight, it's a signal to me that I ought to take it easy for the next three days or so.
7. Avoid thinking that if you can eat way over your cals for a day or two without scale damage, that you can keep on doing that. That's the road to perdition! Having said that, however, I'd also say that you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you can now eat, having learned HOW to eat during your weight loss.

I guess that's enough for now.

Jay

P.S. Hi, SusanB!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone! I had the weirdest thing happen . . . Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with my cheek itching. I figured it was a bug bite, scratched it because I was sleepy, and went back to sleep. This morning I woke up to find a big rash all over the right side of my face!! Luckily I just happen to have my regular dermatologist appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'm thinking it's probably an allergic reaction to something since I cleaned the bathroom yesterday with some new cleaning solutions that I haven't used before. I probably got some on my hand and wiped it on my face or something. My other theory is that a bug bit me and I rolled over onto it in my sleep and smeared its gross venom all over my face. It doesn't itch too much if I don't scratch it and it doesn't seem to be getting worse at the moment, so maybe it will go away by tomorrow in any case.

My weekend eating was okay. I did indulge a bit Saturday night but not as bad as last weekend. I'm going to count up the calories pretty soon and we'll see how I did. My weight is holding at 132 on my home scale (morning), 138 at the gym scale (afternoon) so I'm down 1lb from last week.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Jay, that is a nice list of tips. I need to reacquaint myself with number 7.

Susan, it was a 31 day month! Count it either way.

Meg, I haven't read the book, but I'm a big fan of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Let me know what you think.

Joy, you are so close now! Robin, sounds like you had a lovely weekend.

I'm getting some kind of cold, and am sitting here waiting for the sudafed, ibuprofen and coffee to kick in. They aren't. I think it is going to be a rotten day at work if I'm feeling like this.

The scale is moving down again, which is really good, since when all was said and done about 5 lbs stuck after all the recent issues. DH asked me to make a recipe from Cooking magazine, chicken tikka masala, which was fabulous. I was a little worried, since it has 2/3 c of heavy cream and the recipe said it serves 4-6. Well, maybe 4-6 NFL linemen, post-game. I actually got about 10-12 reasonably sized servings out of the thing, which limited the damage considerably. 270 cal for one serving, plus rice. No sweat. I have leftovers packed for lunch, if I can get myself out of this house. Tonight is slow-cooked pork chops in apple cider with onions and rosemary. I'll probably mash some potatoes to go with. And that will also be a low cal meal! OK, these aren't your grandmother's mashed potatoes, but they are good. Amazing that when I get the junk out, I can eat really well.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Jessica! Hope your rash goes away. Yikes!

It has started raining!! Woo hoo! Love the monsoon. Sorry, Allison. I'll send rain-vibes your way.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #11  

Hi anne,
glad to hear you are doing OK. The food sounds delicious. Are you sure this can be good food ? (just joking)

take care
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Anne~I'll join you in the misery of a cold. I've been 3 days with a sore throat but not a whole lot more. It's rather like it WANTS to be a cold, but since I've spent extra time resting (in bed) it isn't really kicking in. I feel swollen in the neck area and my Dear DD told me I don't look so good (puffy, red eyes and red nose). Isn't she so supportive?

I got up and had my coffee this morning and read the paper (can't get off to a proper start of my day without scanning the headlines and reading the comics and doing my sudoku!). Now I'm here at work checking in on 3FC.

My weight really hasn't budged for the 2 weeks that I've been on my new "plan" although I'm not ready to give in. I sure hope I'll be feeling better as tomorrow is my workout day. I think that since I'm following a regimented exercise thing it's working for me. Last January, I tried to do it on my own and I jumped in and started working out every morning. I burned myself out and quit after 30 days. This time, I'm only "allowed" 3 days per week, so I'm actually looking forward to the days I exercise. I never thought I'd say that! Anyway, I'll fess up what my plan is: I started the c25k program after finding some podcasts online. I love it! I never thought I'd be a runner (and I still have my doubts) but right now if I can make it through week 5, I'll consider it a success! Tomorrow will be the last day of week 2 and so far week 2 is a lot easier than week 1!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

I've had a new incentive to write my book. I actually restarted it on Saturday and I'm now up to Chapter 7. It's strange because I had just quit writing on it, but Saturday night Lacy came home from her friends' house and gave me a new book to read. I started the first few pages, I laid it down, and thought I can definitely write a better book than this and this person got theirs published. I came back to the computer and had Lacy set me up to start writing. I've barely slept much since then. When I do sleep, thoughts keep running through my head that I want to get down in writing.

I'm not sure yet what my title will be but I have some ideas jotted down. So far, I think it's gonna be awesome though. I'm super excited and it gives me something to do to feel worthwhile. It certainly brings some painful memories to the surface, maybe that is why I'm having so much trouble sleeping.
The neat thing is, I finally found the timeline that I wanted to say everything in. Before, I felt like I knew what I wanted to say, but not what order to put it in. It feels like it's all falling into place now and will be easy for the reader to follow. Just look for me on the Best Seller's list in about a year, LOL. I can dream, can't I. LOL.
Nothing much else happening here. The girls' start school on Thursday. It's hot and humid. I've been so busy, that I've only remembered to eat when the gnawing hunger pain starts up. My only exercise has been typing and getting up for another cup of coffee.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Good morning,

Coffee and 3FC - great way to start the day.
The sun is shining, but it is still cool this AM. I love this type of weather - think it is going to be rather hot this aft. so I should enjoy the temp now.
Feeling a little svelter today - I had planned to go for a run or skate this am but my back is stiff and tight.
Hopefully I can work out the kinks and get moving.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

lilybelle, you keep going on that book! Stay up nights, days, whatever it takes!

jay