Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Default Statistics: Fit Day vs. Food Label?

Hi Everyone ~

I've been using FitDay, which is an excellent resource to actually see how many calories foods have - very helpful & eye opening for a weight loss newbie.

I'm especially focused on FAT calories , the % of fat in the daily calories count.

Here's another case I've noticed of Fit Day's food stats being *very* different from what's on the food label.

Which do you use when Fit Day differs from the pkg. stats?

Item: 2 Tablespoons Italian Dressing (not fat free, not reduced cal.) I double checked that Fit Day and the dressing label were both 2 Tbsp, not teaspoons.

Fit Day: Calories 137; Label 35 Calories (!!)

Fit Day: Fat Gms. 14; Label 2

Fit Day: Fat Calories 130; Label 20

Obviously, the difference makes a huge difference in my daily stats, especially the Daily Fat % & fat calories.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Ladiibbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you have nutrition facts in front of you, those are ALWAYS going to be more accurate than the FitDay values, which are just averages of a given type of food. YOUR dressing may have vastly different nutrition facts than the average, which is why its important to enter as a "Custom" food all of the foods with nutrition labels you eat.

There are hundreds of brands of Italian dressing out there...not to mention different varieties (zesty! creamy! etc.) and FitDay takes an average of ALL of those. The nutrition facts label are just for your specific product, therefore much more accurate.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I put a lot of things in as custom foods. I use the label statistics. Different brands can differ.
And that way they stay in my list forever.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

When this happens to me I go by the label of the product that I use at home. If I am at a restaurant I will go by what Fitday says... In the grand scheme of things, overall calorie intake, I don't think it will make that much of a difference in the long run...

I do find it difficult to believe that an oil based Italian dressing would only have 35 calories/tablespoons... Plain olive oil on Fitday has 119 calories and the olive oil in my cupboard has 120 cals/tablespoon. Maybe they forgot to add a "1" in front of the 35 What brand name is it?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #5  

Thanks, everyone, for the info.

Ilene: It's Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian w/Parmesan Dressing (not low fat, not low cal, not FF - bought before I began to d- uh, eat better)

It's not 100 or so calories I'm overly concerned about -- it's the huge discrepancy in fat calories.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #6  

Seems that sesame oil is one other food item I noticed a very big difference in between the label & Fit Day ...