Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #1  

Default Whatever Happened to the High Fiber Thread?

Is anyone still following a high fiber diet? I can't find the thread anymore!
SherylJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #2  

P.S. I tried an Atkins-like diet, and it's just not for me. Going back to high-fiber. Anyone else?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #3  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 261/259/155

Height: 5'5"

I am on a low fat diet, and I try to get between 25 - 35 grams of fiber a day. What is the high fiber diet? Are you supposed to get more than 35? Are there more requirements to it than that?

I hate the Atkins diet! I tried it about five years ago. It made me a crazy woman. I had no control. I wanted to cheat all the time, and I felt gross and greasy. I think I lost weight on Atkins because I just couldn't stand eating anymore meat, so somedays I just wouldn't eat much at all. I lost about 40 pounds, but I couldn't stick with it, and when I finally stopped I gained back 60 pounds REALLY fast. I never want to be on that diet again!

Now I'm just eating low cal, low fat, and watching my fiber. I'm so happy. It feels easy, and for the most part I'm losing weight at a steady pace. I feel like I can eat this way for the rest of my life. If I had to eat Atkins again I wouldn't want to live!

SkiniJeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #4  

Jeni, I am following the plan in the book The Dietary Fiber Weight Control Handbook, which I bought off amazon.com. This is a VERY high fiber diet; I probably eat double the fiber you are eating! I have a voracious appetite and high fiber is the only dietary component that really works to fill me up. I don't know how to do a ticker yet, but I started at over 200 lbs. and now I'm 193.

There's a formula in the book you use to get your MDF (minimum daily fiber requirement). It goes by your weight. The higher your weight, the higher your fiber grams. When I get down to my goal weight, I'll probably be consuming about 50 grams or so of fiber, which is still higher than the general population.

I love this book because it only focuses on fiber, period. No caffeine limitation, vitamins, etc. only fiber. It's really working for me. Tried Atkins and another Atkins-type diet and just hated them.

I've finally found something that works for me. There used to be a fiber thread, but I guess it's gone now.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #5  

P.S. I started off following the recommendations in The Reality Diet (another high fiber book) but very shortly changed to this plan. I don't mind counting fiber grams (that's all I count) and it's a simpler plan.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #6  
300+ Chick

Oooh-Ooooh! I am a firm believer on fiber!!! and it does control the hunger. I have weight loss/health books that lead me into a high fiber ,way of eating..and also my stomach doctor that advise me to aim high fiber!! I began counting fiber in May of this year, after my colonoscopy and since then, lost 20 Lbs!! I am doing my best on keeping my fiber intake around 40..and gradually build up... I am not fond on certain veggies, am a fruit eater mostly and drinking 3 liters of water daily.

Way to go on your loss so far!! Keep up the good work!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ I also love to add fiber to my diet; this has really helped me a lot too. I eat high-fiber cereals, whole wheat breads, buns, and soda crackers; plus lots of veggies, salads, and fruits. I once had a FIBER Recipe Book that said to just add some natural bran to everything you make; I even put bran in DH's oatmeal cookies (although I don't bake much these days).

I put some in our oatmeal, muffins, and meatballs too. I find plain breads too bland and non-filling now. I wish there was still a fiber thread to share ideas and plans. I also tried all those low-carb diets; and I lost weight on most (except one that I couldn't stick to), but quickly regained all the weight. For me, low carb diets are unrealistic; I couldn't stay on them forever. My plan is now balanced and moderate (mostly portioned-based); and, I am a lot happier and more satisfied.

When I went on those strict programs before, I got sick; my hair fell out and I got acne and boils. Now I eat more healthy with added vitamins & minerals at doctor's orders and all my hair grew back in this year, plus I have no boils and hardly any acne (I am in pera-menopause so that causes a bit of acne). Plus my body skin is healthier now too; I have seen a huge improvement over the last year, esp in my feet.

I was diagnosed with a "Mineral" deficiency in my teens; many of which come from fruits, veggies, and whole grains. The doctor told us to balance our menu plan better at that time. We didn't realize until now that it was my diet that had caused my hair to fall out; but both my mother and one sister lost their hair with child-birth (last term), and it was thought that maybe malnutrition was the cause then.

ANYWAYS, I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that finds Fiber so helpful! ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #8  

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone!

This is what high fiber eating has done for me: For the first time in my life I feel like a "normal" person. That is, if my meals are high enough in fiber (and for me it takes a LOT), I can go HOURS without eating, instead of feeling hungry all day long. For me this was a miracle and I started researching fiber and buying all the "high fiber" books I could get my hands on.

I was just reading an article off msnbc.com that said that there is a lot of interest in fiber and a ton of companies will be incorporating more fiber into their products. Good news for us!

For the first time in my life I am losing weight painlessly. It's nothing short of a miracle!