General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Daggon hiccups!!!

I have gotten the hiccups about 6 times today. What gives?! I don't even know what causes hiccups, but they're starting to really annoy me! What do YOU do to get rid of the hiccups? Obviously my methods aren't very effective!
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

We always gave my kids a spoonful of peanut butter...I "think" it worked.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I feel bad for you! I hate hiccups. I get them so bad that they hurt my chest and have even caused me to throw up. I always do this: get a big glass of water and take a deep breath before start drinking and I drink as much as I can while counting slowly in my head to 10. It always works for me. Sometimes I have to do it several times though.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Thanks guys. I have now had them NINE times today. I don't know what the heck is going on. If I get them again I will try the two methods you've given me... but I hope I don't have to today!
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I drink water with my head tipped back completely back (horizontal to my body). It has always worked. My head has to stay tipped back while I gulp down the water or it doesn't work. It seems to work better the larger amount of water you can get down at once. I take a big mouth full of water, tip my head back, and swallow. Sometimes one mouth full of water and a few swallows get rid of them. Sometimes I have to take another mouth full of water, but it's never failed (for me). Good luck
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

My boyfriend recommends vinegar, a large spoonful straight down. It sounds gross, but I've watched him do it many times now and it works immediately! Otherwise, I think distracting yourself can help a lot, hence the drinking and counting at the same time stops you and maybe relaxes your diaphragm enough to stop the cycle. I feel bad for you, I'd be screamingly frustrated by now
Diana the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Hiccups are a sign of reflux.

To get rid of them take about 20 small sips of something, right in a row without stopping...just enough that you're swallowing repeatedly. I find 10-20 times right in a row like that works everytime. If you can't get your hands on a drink, just swallow saliva. I read it in a medical journal years ago and it's never failed me.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

My dad said the reason you get hiccups is because something with your diaphram...it's been a while sense he explained it, but what ive done that always works is lean over the couch and stretch it out. Just bend backwards over a chair and get a good stretch in your diaphram and it actually helps
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinforthegold View Post
Hiccups are a sign of reflux.

To get rid of them take about 20 small sips of something, right in a row without stopping...just enough that you're swallowing repeatedly. I find 10-20 times right in a row like that works everytime. If you can't get your hands on a drink, just swallow saliva. I read it in a medical journal years ago and it's never failed me.
My husband has heard that from numerous people now and it has worked each time he had the hiccups.He once had it for three days straight...probably the only time I've ever seen him cry(cept when the kids were born).I was told taking small sips in a row has something to do with forcing your diaphram to stop spasming.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote