Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #1  

Default Massage=weight loss?

I'm curious if anyone has read anything about a possible link between regular massage and weight loss. My brother was telling me he thinks there's a link as massage gets your blood flowing and thus must somehow help you to drop pounds but I've never read anything that says this is true.

I'd sure like it to be! I always feel better after a massage and it's so nice to treat one's self, right?! Has anyone had any positive results from adding massage to their plan?

Thanks!

Ann
Old 07-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I don't know about weight loss but if you work out hard, eat right and are losing weight a massage would be a great treat. It helps the body get rid of toxins, is great for relaxation... I go once or so a month as a treat. But I'm mostly Swedish so it's a given.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I have read that massage is good for getting rid of cellulite and skin elasticity because it gets the blood flowing in the skin..Don't know if that's true though.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I've had full-body massage at least monthly for years, and it hasn't seemed to have had any effect on my weight. But it's so good for everything else!

Jay
Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #5  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

I went to massage school where you get several massages a week of course, and never heard anything about it helping weight loss (I did lose weight though, but due to fen/phen...)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

I'm no expert, in fact I've never even had a massage, but I've heard that massage is good for lymphatic drainage, which helps to remove toxins from the system, which in turn can aid metabolism... so perhaps it isn't a replacement for diet/exercise, but it's probably great for health, muscle tone and generally keeping things ticking physically, not to mention psychologically. Human touch is supposed to help/cure all kinds of problems!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #7  
Dixie Belle -6 weeks old!

Default I am a licensed Massage Therapist

Hi there. I am licensed and Nationally certified. I am a firm believer in massage for optimal health. Massage therapy is a very customizable treatment. I have a few ladies that are regular clients that are "body concious". While massage will not make you lose weight, it will however..
1. Give sense of well being=feel better=move more=burn calories
2. Release toxins which make muscles tight, stiff, sore, inflamed
3. Lymphatic drainage,which is a specialized massage, pushes out more toxins than a regular swedish massage. It does what it says, drains lymph glands and nodes and increase lymphatic flow.
4. Promotes water intake (you need to take in 40-60 oz. after a massage)
5. Is a great reward, treat for losing that 3 pounds this week
6. Smooths out cellulite, another specialized massage, which makes you feel and look skinnier and healthier
I am sure I could go on and on and on, but my hands are tired, (I done quite a few massages today myself)
So give it a shot, trust me, its worth it! Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have!
Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #8  

Hi,
What are the appropriate clothes to wear? I am not confortable going in nudefor a massage.Thanks.
Sheridan
Old 10-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #9  
Tracy

S/C/G: 275/239/160

Height: 5'9"

I have a massage as part of my treatment for fibromyalgia and I know that afterwards, my muscles feel revitalized and I know that drinking water helps flush the toxins out of my system. As for weight loss, I'm not sure - but it surely doesn't hurt it. I think it is helping me feel better and healthier, as well as my weight loss.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #10  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Hi,
What are the appropriate clothes to wear? I am not confortable going in nudefor a massage.Thanks.
Sheridan

I am 12 days away from being a certified therapist. Wear whatever you want to the appointment. The therapist should tell you to undress to your level of comfort. In most states you have to leave your panties/boxers on. I can't speak for all therapists of course, but my school taught us how to work with clients who don't feel comfortable nude by either unhooking the bra and sliding it out of the way, or work around it, though I personally prefer to take mine off entirely, as do most of the people I've dealt with in clinicals.

as far as weight loss, I would never claim that. I do know lymphatic drainage can lead to small losses due to increased fluid processing etc. but those are temporary losses. I know there are techniques that assist in the reduction of the appearance of cellulite, and techniques that reduce the appearance of scars and can eliminate some scars completely but that's a whole nother issue. Alot of massage therapists also do seaweed wraps and that sort of things that can lead to weight loss, but again unless other changes are made that loss is only temporary as it's mostly water from sweat, and toxins in liquid form as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #11  

Hi,
I just saw the answers to my post today and I thank both of you. I am comfortable with anything short of panties so I will be OK. Best of luck to both of you.
Sheridan
Old 11-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 272/230.5/165

Height: 5'10"

Personally, I prefer to be unencumbered by clothing. The therapist should be taught to properly drape you so that no 'bit's are exposed unless they're working on that area. The muscles in your back side can really be quite tense and massage can relieve so much. I don't mind that half of my bottom would be seen when the massage is so good for me. And I have plenty of bottom to see!
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default I am also a Nationally Certified, Licensed Massage Therapist

While I agree that massage is beneficial for most any condition, I have to ask you your source for this suggestion specifically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentDoctor View Post
4. Promotes water intake (you need to take in 40-60 oz. after a massage)
I have been a licensed Holistic Health Practitioner for many years now and have been in the health care field for over 15 years and would say that, based on all I have studied and what I teach, 40-60 ounces post massage is excessive.

As far as the OP's question is concerned, I will search through my studies and find a few to link for you. Here's a link about some general benefits of massage.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56482

Here's a nice general "How to" in regards to massage for newbies.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2565_massage.html
Closed Thread