Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 11:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Question Needing advice on shoes........

I just started step aerobic classes last week and I can already tell that my tennis shoes are not fit for the job. Does anyone know of any good aerobic/cross training shoes? Thanks!
Old 03-24-2002, 05:33 AM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Default A bit of a book about shoes!

There are only a few things you need to look out for when buying exercise shoes.

Do you want shoes or boots? - Boots give more ankle support but can be more restrictive and are usually more expensive.

Whichever you get you should look at the soles first. The flat part that goes under the ball of your foot should be flexible. It should have 2+ lines/scores acrros it to allow it to flex with your foot. Tennis/running shoes don't have these.

The foot and heel part should be properly separate, with some obvious support for the arch of your foot. This means the sole should not be flat but should be contoured.

The back of the heel should have a notch in it. This allows you to point your toes without putting pressure on your achilles tendon. May not sound important but it is the main cause of pain and injury in the ankle after a workout!

You should be able to find a good pair of shoes/boots without having to break the bank. Remember even the most expensive are only designed to do a couple of hundred miles before wearing out (less than 6 months @ 2 classes a week).

Never ever wear you shoes outside of the studio you workout in. Firstly you track in dirt and stuff! Worse you wear away the soles of your shoes. The rubber on them is really soft and is not designed for tramac, flagstones etc.

I won't recommend a make cos everyone's feet are different. But if you haven't found a comfortable pair yet: I personally wear Nike. Very expensive but they fit my feet whereas Adidas, Reebok etc don't. I think this has to do with the re-sizing they did about 6 years ago. If you look inside the shoes they have a big W that says they were engineered for women athletes!!!!! What this means is the ankle is narrower and the foot bit is a different shape too. Does for me, but as I said, theyare expensive. I can afford them because, as an instructor, I can write them off against taxes!

Hope this was helpful, Stef.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:25 AM   #3  

I can't really add anything to what Stef said above, except to say that everyones feet are different.

I am just the opposite of Stef in that I cannot wear Nike. They have never fit my foot properly.

Reeboks are OK, but not my favorite fit-wise. I tend to wear Adidas, Avia or Ryka. New Balance occasionally.

The moral of this story is try on many brands and go with the ones that feel the best on your feet!
Old 04-01-2002, 09:17 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I just bought a new pair of running shoes so I'd like to pass on some of the things the salesperson told me.

Try on shoes in the afternoon or after you have been on your feet for awhile. This way your feet will be slightly swollen as they will get when you exercise. Also wear the same socks you will wear while exercising.

Go to a store that specializes in exercise equipment or sport shoes. Talk to the salesperson about what kind of exercise they do. If they cannot talk knowledgably about the shoe I wouldn't buy shoes there. The salesperson I had was a runner, I bought the shoes in a store that carried running stuff exclusively and the guy knew the shoes inside and out.

Try on several pairs. Don't let price guide you. An expensive pair might be worth it if they fit well and treat your feet right.

Ask about guarantees. The store where I bought my shoes will let you return them in 30 days as long as you haven't worn them outside. If you just wear them to your classess and find you don't like them you might be able to take them back.
Closed Thread