Old 07-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5"5

Default feeling faint - help! only 2 days on

so far today i have eaten:

2 eggs with some feta cheese
green tea with splenda
1 light cheese string and 6 strawberries (i know a no-no for induction)
cheeseburger with lettuce and mayo/mustard (no bun)
sparkling water with wedge of lemon
and am planning on caesar salad with bacon and chicken for dinner

should be about 20-25 grams of carbs. but i am feeling weird - a bit dizzy will this go away - should i be eating more/less of something? i have been drinking lots of water as well! - i guess i wont be working out tongiht....
chickadee315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #2  

I was feeling the same way (see the thread "new to atkins and feeling sick" so I went and did a little searching and what I've read online was that it is your body going through withdrawals from the sugar and carbs, it's your body switching to fat burning mode and/or possibly dehydrated. On day 3 I was feeling a little better and by day 4 I felt almost 100% better. However, yesterday (which was day 8 for me) for the first time since day 4, I felt slightly dizzy again. i'm feeling okay today though (day 9). What I read was that if you stick it out it will pass and then you will have more energy than ever. I know it sucks though....I hope you feel better soon!
ebplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #3  

hi thanks! i am going to try and skip the gym the next couple days and hopfully get a bit more rest in - hopefully that will help to.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #4  

This may sound strange but I noticed that I would feel better when I was up walking around (opposed to sitting at my desk here at work reading or on the computer). My friend, who is doing LC with me noticed the same thing with her. Her head felt foggy and she was having headaches. But I'm sure sleeping it off is good too! Feel better soon!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #5  

well i have a pretty bad headache now so if i am feeling better i might go do some cardio - i am trying to make sure i am making a complete lifestyle change nd make sure i am exercising at least 4 times a wk so once i start adding more carbs it wont be as rough for me to maintain. i am having the hardest time not eating fruit - although i had 6 strawberries today oops. i am going on a trip in 4 months and am really hoping to reach my goal my then!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

i hope you are taking a good multivitamin tablet with minerals. Sometimes during the first few days of Atkins your electrolytes get low (particularly potassium) because you are peeing so much out. This will pass, but make sure you are replacing what you are losing.

I don't want to scare you, but I read an article on one occasion about a teenage girl who went on Atkins without medical supervision and her electrolytes got so low that she died. She probably wasn't following the plan correctly, Atkins DOES say to take a mutivitamin and if you start getting leg cramps to take potassium. If you follow the plan carefully and limit your activity until your body switches over to fat burning mode, you should be fine in a few days, but listen to your body. Atkins does lower blood sugar levels, and for some people they may go too low, you may need to increase carbs and go into it a little more slowly if you are not feeling well.

Pay attention to how you feel and adjust accordingly, that is all I'm saying. I love Atkins, and wouldn't advise anyone to go off it, but the beginning stages can be extreme for some people.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #7  

This is my first time doing atkins so I'm not an expert or anything near it but I did read (when I wasn't feeling well and did some reading up on it) that someone had said they gradually weened themselves off of carbs and they didn't feel sick. Maybe work your way towards the 20 a day instead of just going cold turkey? But make sure you stay dehydrated and, like Sherry said, make sure you take a multivitamin. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

Whew... I am on day two as well and I am so woozy and dizzy. I normally work out at noon and then eat lunch but I decided to just eat lunch. I think I will have my afternoon snack and then go work out. I usually burn 900 calories but I am thinking of toning it down and only burning 786.

This would be 10 minutes walking, 45 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes stair stepper, and ten minutes swimming laps.

Eek I am so afraid I will pass out! Well I am heading out to the gym in 22 minutes so we will see!

PS- I am taking a multivitamin each morning and I drink water like its the end of the world. Today my mouth is dry as well... I guess this means its working??

EDIT: I looked up my symptoms and they are all symptoms of ketosis... I was on south beach phase two before I started Atkins but could I really be in ketosis already?

Last edited by RocknRoll; 07-25-2007 at 02:00 PM.
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #9  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I had super bad headaches and felt AWFUL the first three days on Atkins--and I know I was in Ketosis by day 2 (because of the Ketosticks). After a few days, the feeling icky went away and now I feel great! Hang in there--this too shall pass
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #10  

im ok in the morning but in the afternoon - typically its been about an hr after lunch i feel a bit weird until the evening- hopefully it will pass soon so i can get back to working out and feeling normal. i have no way to tell if i am in ketosis or not -i dont really want to spend the money on the sticks becasue i heard they were unreliable. any other symptoms that might show it?