Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Let's Get to the Bottom of this Pressing Issue: Boob Fat!

You know what I mean: the extra boob fat that hangs out by your armpit and is showcased oh-so unattractively in tank tops. What is this fat about and how do I get rid of it? Is it a simple body-fat issue? A consequence of chest size? I assume there is no special exercise that will zap it away?

I'm pretty happy with my body at the moment. I'm getting muscular and I'm quite slim and hour-glass shaped. But I do feel self-conscious in tank tops (which I wear every single day in the summer) because of this unappealing pocket of fat. I am constantly fussing with where my tops and bras sit on my chest. Is there anything I can do, save lose another 10 pounds???
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #2  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

If you are slim, I'm wondering if you are wearing the wrong bra size? They say most women do and it's good to be measured now and then by a professional? Just a thought,
HTH
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Naw, it's not the wrong bra size........it's BOOB FAT!!! What a great name for it; never heard it called that, but it plagues me and many, many others. It is fat...not so sure it has anything to do with boobs.......lol........I hope someone else "weighs in" here........cause I have NEVER heard this discussed.......am guessing that lipo would take care of it......those who have had the arm /loose skin removed may have had it dealt with?

Thanks for the question, cuz it keeps me from going sleeveless....well, that and the "wing span"
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I would definitely second a really good fitting. I went to Nordstrom's and found out I was a band size smaller and a cup size bigger than I though I was. It made a HUGE difference! No more squooshing anyplace I'm not supposed to squoosh.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

I do have this "boob fat" and have been fitted for the right size bra. I squish it into my bra. LOL. Mine seems like it's excess skin from where I used to be so big around , plus had huge boobs before. It does look like it's fat that would be removed if I had an arm lift. (which I'm not planning to do). This is definitely one of the reasons that I NEVER wear anything sleeveless and am self-conscious of this in my swimsuit. I made sure to buy a swimsuit that comes up really high under the arms to help minimize the look of this.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

For whatever reason, my boob fat has disappeared. For the first time in my life I am wearing sleeveless tops and looking pretty good! (if I do say so myself) As long as my clothing hides my flabby gut and thighs, I'm good!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I have boob fat. It is actually more like arm pit fat, because my boobs are now down around my waist (bra-less) and not in the general area anymore (LOL). OK, not quite that bad, but you get the picture.

It is 107 deg here, and so said fat gets exposed pretty regularly. It is too hot to care what anyone thinks, and personally I think it is much less yucky than the muffin-tops and butt-cracks I regularly get exposed to! When will this low-waist thing end, anyway?

Some bras have more arm coverage and it can be sort of tucked in. A good bra fit is good in general, but since this is a separate pocket of fat (at least for me) and not a squishage issue, the options are basically acceptance, concealment, or surgery.

Now if there were solutions for chicken neck and knee flap, I'd be all set!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

If you mean that frill of flab along the lower front edge of the pectorals ... it kinda makes a curtain for your armpit .... It's a bra thing.
Now if I could just find a bathingsuit that did the job as well as my latest bras...

And I'm pretty sure a little fat loss and building that pec will help.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have it too. Armpit area and in the back, too. Not so much in front. I try to smoosh the armpit stuff forward, but once I move my arms, it goes back.

I have been fitted for a bra and it didn't make this excess skin go away. I do notice that when I am actively losing weight, it does diminish. I've gained a couple of pounds lately and the fat there and on my abdomen has increased. I imagine that once I get to goal this stuff will go away (at least my fingers are crossed that it will).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #10  

<sighs dejectedly> I am working on my pecs, Susan; let's hope that works.

It *might* be a bra thing. I haven't been fitted since I last lost weight (and a cup size) and there aren't alot of options where I live (although I do have a few bras that seem to fit properly. I'm not wandering around in oversized bras.) I will be traveling to Distant Big City sometime in the next few weeks to buy a fall professional wardrobe and I should probably have a fitting. I'm a huge advocate of fittings, actually I have waxed poetic about them several times here at 3FC.

I go ahead and expose my boob fat. There's not too too much of it--enough to make me wish it weren't there, but not, I think, enough to draw stares (especially with my cleavage in the same general area ). It's very, very hot here in the summer. There's NO WAY I'm wearing sleeves, boob fat or no boob fat!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

My DD looks like she has boob and back fat. We recently shopped for new bras for her and she bought totally the wrong size. She bought a 30BB and what she needed was a 34A. I think I'm gonna have her get fitted for the right bras. The ones she is now wearing look like that they must be cutting off her circulation and everything is spilling over the top and bottom of this too snug , thin band. Yuck. I think she bought her new ones based solely on the cuteness and not at all on the fit.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #12  

I keep forgetting to mention this. I asked the bra fitter at Nordstrom about the boob fat. She said that it isn't related to bras or to boobs--and indeed, my new perfectly fitting bras have had no impact on the problem. She said it's arm fat and that I'm stuck with it. She also complimented me on my triangle shaped back and ordered me not to lose anymore weight.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have this issue too. On me, also, it appears to be skin now from when I was much bigger around. If I get a bra that fits properly, the skin must be tucked into it or otherwise addressed. If I get a bra that doesn't cause it to pooch a bit, the band slips, so I know its not a bra sizing issue....its just skin/fat that is there and has to be managed.

I remember when it was filled with fat, though...worse.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:31 AM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Mine is more armpit fat than boob fat. I have this little blob of fat that hangs down right at the front of my armpit crease. It goes away if I hold my arms out, but I can't really walk around with my arms out all day. It's nowhere near my bra, so it's not a matter of tucking it my bra and getting the right bra size. It drives me nuts but I guess I'd better learn to love it because it's clear by now that it isn't going anywhere. I try to tell myself that it probably isn't as noticeable to other people as it is to me.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, THOSE, my 3rd and 4th boobs? I got those too, aren't I lucky!!! When I lose weight they go away, I know when I've gained because they come back...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote