Old 05-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #1  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Cool Zero or Very Low Calorie Summertime Snacks and Recipes

Hi All,

I thought this may be a nice place to put our Zero or Very Low Calorie Snacks and Recipes for the Summertime!

I received this in my email from Glee Magazine:

Eat Up! Calorie-Free Foods

By Carolina Diaz-Bordon
Glee Contributor
Updated: Saturday, May 26, 2007

What’s the key to calorie-free? According to Burke, very few foods are ultimately void of calories, but there are calorie-burning foods. These are foods that burn up more calories in the process of digesting them than are actually contained in the foods themselves. The best way to stay satisfied, keep your energy level in full force and make sure your caloric intake stays in a healthy range is to include these super foods and snacks in your daily diet.

Here's a list of some calorie-free and very-close-to-calorie-free foods, beverages and snacks that work entirely in your favor:

1. Hot tea with Splenda: Drink a cup of calorie-free hot tea to ward off hunger pangs. Research shows tea consumption may also help prevent a wide range of ailments.

2. Berries: Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries have few calories, and they pack a powerful punch on your health.

3. Citrus fruit: Rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber, citrus fruits not only taste great, but are also essential for normal growth and development and overall nutritional well being.

4. Sugar-free JELL-O with non-fat, no-calorie dairy whipped topping: A dieter's dream come true. It’s easy to make, delicious and virtually calorie-free.

5. Egg whites prepared with nonstick spray: Egg whites are very low in calories, have no fat, no cholesterol and are loaded with protein.

6. Crunchy veggies: Feel free to indulge in all the crunchy veggies you wish. Dietitians give crunchy veggies a perfect 10 in nutrition. When it comes to weight loss, they are simply hard to beat. “Your best bets are broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale, which contain disease-fighting glucosinolates and other substances,” Burke says.

7. Water: Weight loss and water go hand in hand. It suppresses the appetite and helps the body metabolize fat. It also regulates body temperature and flushes toxins. Before you grab a snack try drinking a glass of 100-percent calorie-free H2O.

This article is located here.

To see more: Glee Magazine
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Laughing Cow Low Fat Cheese 35 calories a wedge
Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt 4 ounces 40-45 calories
Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt 6 ounces 60 calories.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Lots of "free" veggies Sassy mentioned, eaten alone, or dipped in a mixture of 1/2 cup salsa and 1 T. ff ranch dressing. This gives you lots of crunch for not many calories.

Salsa is also good on a baked potato.

Lightly spray some olive oil sweet potato wedges before you bake them - mmmm!

No-sugar-added fudgesicles for 40 calories each takes care of a chocolate craving. The Edy's no-sugar-added "real fruit" bars are very good, too.

A tablespoon of Paul Newman's Lighten Up Honey Mustard salad dressing perks up a turkey tortilla and many other dishes. My kitchen would have to be shut down if I ran out of this, lol.

Ice cream "sandwiches" made from chocolate graham crackers and ff cool whip. Wrap them seperately and freeze.

As bargoo said, Laughing Cow cheese wedges are wonderful!

Take a serving or two of dry cereal to the movies to help stay away from the popcorn.

Green beans have been a staple for me. In a restaurant, I will order a double serving of them, and leave off the potato/starch if there is no health option available to go with the entree.

Wintertime is good for having light hot chocolate. Swiss Miss is my favorite.

I may add more later, but this is all I can think off right now.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #4  
~Believe~

Cucumber Salad

From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
This easy cucumber salad recipe makes a nice accompaniment to any meal.
INGREDIENTS:

* 3 large cucumbers, peeled, thinly sliced
* 1 cup white vinegar
* 3/4 cup water
* 3/4 cup sugar *Sub w/ Splenda, etc. if desired*
* 1 teaspoon salt
* dash ground cayenne pepper
* dash dried parsley flakes
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* dash dried leaf basil

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except cucumbers; heat until sugar melts. Pour warm mixture over cucumbers. Store covered in refrigerator.

Serves 6 to 8
Serve with pork or as a relish with any meal.

**We made this for when my mom came up. Now I know the sugar is not good, but I'm sure you can substitute it w/ Splenda or your favorite sugar substitute instead. It was very very good and very easy to make.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #5  
~Believe~

Question Sassy's Sugar Free Chocolate PB Pie **What do you think**

We was watching Food TV and there was a recipe on there and I was "Inspired" to come up with my own recipe, so what do you all think, would this work???

Sassy's Sugar Free Chocolate PB Pie

Natural Peanut Butter
Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
Sugar Free Marshmallows
Low Fat Graham Cracker Crust
Sugar Free Cool Whip

Melt chocolate and PB together, add in the marshmallows until blended together, put into the Low Fat Graham Cracker Crust. Chill Serve w/ Sugar Free Cool Whip on top. (not sure on how much of each, I'd have to "experiment")

I just came up with is all by myself, does this sound like it might work or do you have any ideas of what to add and/or take away?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

Sassy, I make something very similar to your cucumber salad, but add sliced onions and green and red peppers to it. My recipe doesn't call for the basil, but that would be a very good addition to it. I'll try that next time.

As for the lite PB Pie, since you asked, I think it would still be lethal in calories and fat, and very rich. Might be better to just get a tiny piece of the real thing once in a looooong while at a bakery and count the calories for it. Then you wouldn't have a whole pie (lite or not) sitting at home. Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #7  
~Believe~

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Sassy, I make something very similar to your cucumber salad, but add sliced onions and green and red peppers to it. My recipe doesn't call for the basil, but that would be a very good addition to it. I'll try that next time.

As for the lite PB Pie, since you asked, I think it would still be lethal in calories and fat, and very rich. Might be better to just get a tiny piece of the real thing once in a looooong while at a bakery and count the calories for it. Then you wouldn't have a whole pie (lite or not) sitting at home. Just a thought.

Oh yeah forgot to add that, we added onions too. Peppers mmmmmmm love peppers. Great Idea!

Ok. Thanks for your advice on the pie. I was just thinking is all, so guess your right. Guess it was a dumb idea. Aw well, as they say, try, try again.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #8  
I work with germs!!

Height: 5'2"

Sassy--the pie sounds yummy to me. I would save it for a party or gathering that I was attending. You'll have something sinfully chocolate, have only a small piece, keep you away from other desserts and the rest of the guest will gobble it up.
sz2atheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

Sassy - we each have different ideas what we'd want to spend our calories on. Your idea wasn't dumb at all.

Tammy - good advice about the pie. She can enjoy a slice then leave it at the gathering.

Here's one more thing I keep one hand - bread and butter pickle spears sweetened with Splenda, and only 10 calories each. They're crunchy, sweet and sour. What a party for my mouth!

Last edited by Jane; 05-28-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: silly typo
Old 05-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #10  
~Believe~

TY. Just was a thought.............but not all thoughts are exactly the right ones. lmao. At least I'm thinking about healthier options, right?

Ya know it would be awesome to take to work, let them gobble it all down and then say -- it was sugar free! lol.

They have bread and butter pickles sweetened w/ splenda now? I got to find those! lol. Or do you make those yourself??
Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #11  
GmaTo8

Sassy - I buy the pickles at Walmart. They're made by Mt. Olive. Mmmmm Gotta watch the sodium in foods like that, though. It's always something, lol.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #12  
~Believe~

Mmmmmm yeah but for me stuff that is low in sugar or no sugar is good.........have to look for those!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 AM   #13  
~Believe~

Wink Must-Have Munchies for Your Freezer

Must-Have Munchies for Your Freezer

By Jaclyn Johnson
Glee Contributor

Need a diet that'll let you eat filling, tasty foods while you lose weight? We offer 24 personalized plans, including the red-hot, carb-smart GI Diet. CLICK HERE to fill out a free diet profile.

Admit it: A common fear while dieting is that you'll find yourself horribly hungry all the time. How many times have you dumped your diet after repeatedly caving to the snack attacks that arise between meals or during late-night TV watching?

Chill out! A good weight-loss plan allows snacking. The key is to have healthy snacks on hand. It's time to stock your freezer with diet-friendly foods and goodies.

You won't be left out in the cold if you keep your ice box stocked up with the following foods:

1. Birds Eye Steamfresh veggies
With less than 200 calories for the whole bag, stick it in the microwave for five minutes and voila! Steamed veggies are healthy and delicious and easier to make than ever before! They come in different varieties of vegetables so you never get bored.

eDiets Director of Nutrition Services Pamela Ofstein says, “We know it is important to get our vegetables in daily and now you can have them at any time. I like to cook them up (even in the middle of the day) and top with some dried herbs or even a teaspoon of low-fat Italian dressing to add a little zest!”

2. Skinny Cow ice cream
These delicious ice-cream sandwiches are 97-percent fat free and have only 140 calories! Every now and then we all get a little craving for something sweet. But no longer do you have to stray from your diet to get a delicious treat.

“If you are looking for a treat without going overboard on calories and fat, they can be perfect for that occasional sweet treat,” Pam says.

With flavors like chocolate mint and caramel swirl, they certainly hit the sweet spot!

3. Sugar-Free Popsicles
These are perfect for that after-meal sweet tooth we all get! They are low in calories and sugar-free!

“These are especially great in the summer. They can be a perfect substitution for high-sugar drinks," Pam says. "They quench thirst just as well!”

There are even sugar-free fudgesicles and creamsicles available that will help you stay on your diet while curbing your sweet tooth.

4. Edamame
Also known as soybeans, edamame is a delicious and healthy Japanese snack. Soy has been shown to help reduce the risk of heart disease, improves bone health and help reduce certain types of cancer. Simply pop the beans in your mouth and discard the shell. They are low in calories and easy to make -- all you have to do is boil some water. So enjoy!

5. Gardenburger
These patties are full of flavor and healthy ingredients. Simply heat in the microwave (usually 35 seconds or so) and have it as a snack. They even come in vegan varieties and different flavors. For you meat eaters who get the craving, look no further. These are delicious and hearty and have around 100 calories per patty. Just be sure not to go overboard with toppings!

6. Kashi GoLean Frozen Waffles
These will satisfy your sweet tooth and give you tons of fiber. Each waffle has 8 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber and only 3 grams of fat! All you have to do is pop one in the toaster and you have a healthy and yummy snack waiting for you.

No longer do you have to snack in fear. Just remember the key is moderation. Keep proper portions in mind and snacking will be a piece of cake (or better yet, some steamed veggies).

Interesting in some must-haves for your pantry? If so, click here.

Jaclyn Johnson is an eDiets editorial intern and a journalism/mass communications major at New York University.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 AM   #14  
~Believe~

Wink Grilled Chicken Salad with Raspberries

Grilled Chicken Salad with Raspberries

Prep Time: 30 min ; Start to Finish: 30 min
Makes: 2 servings Nutrition Information

Make this restaurant-fancy salad for two in just 30 minutes.

2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
1 1/2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 bag (10-oz size) American blend mixed salad greens
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
2 Pillsbury® Oven Baked frozen soft white dinner rolls

1 . Heat gas grill or coals. In medium bowl, stir together jam, vinegar, honey and oil. Reserve one-third of the mixture for dressing. Add chicken to remaining mixture, tossing to coat. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
2 . When ready to grill, remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill over medium coals. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Sprinkle with pepper. To heat dinner rolls, place rolls in foil on grill during last 6 to 7 minutes of cooking time.
3 . In large bowl, toss salad greens and reserved dressing. Divide between 2 serving plates. Slice each chicken breast crosswise into slices; do not separate slices. Fan chicken slices; arrange 1 breast on salad greens on each plate. Garnish with raspberries. Serve with dinner rolls.

You can sub sugar free rasp. jam for the reg. and you don't have to have the dinner rolls.

Grilled Chicken Salad with Raspberries (This is the recipe as is)

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size: 1 Serving
Calories 410 Calories from Fat 100
% DAILY VALUE
Total Fat 12g 18%
Saturated 2 1/2g 13%
Trans Fat 1g
Cholesterol 75mg 24%
Sodium 280mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 46g 15%
Dietary Fiber 5g 19%
Sugars 26g
Protein 31g
% Daily Value*:
Vitamin A 45% Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 6% Iron 15%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Very Lean Meat; 2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 AM   #15  
~Believe~

Wink Grilled Zesty Herb Shrimp Salads

Grilled Zesty Herb Shrimp Salads

Prep Time: 25 min ; Start to Finish: 25 min
Makes: 2 servings Nutrition Information

What better topper for salad greens than grilled shrimp?

Marinade/Dressing
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Dash salt
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Salad
1/2 lb uncooked deveined peeled large shrimp
1/2 bag (10-oz size) American blend mixed salad greens
1/4 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
1/4 cup sliced halved cucumber
1/4 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup shredded or shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
Rolls
2 Pillsbury® Oven Baked frozen garlic dinner rolls

1 . Heat gas grill or coals. In medium bowl, mix all Marinade/Dressing ingredients. Reserve half of the mixture for dressing. Using remaining for marinade, add shrimp, tossing to coat. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
2 . When ready to grill, remove shrimp from marinade; reserve marinade. Thread shrimp onto four 12-inch metal skewers; place on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill over medium coals. Cook 6 to 8 minutes, turning and brushing once with marinade, until shrimp are pink. To heat dinner rolls, place rolls in foil on grill; cook 6 to 7 minutes or until hot.
3 . In large bowl, gently toss all Salad ingredients and the reserved dressing. Divide between 2 serving plates. Top salads with shrimp. Serve with dinner rolls.

Tip:
To broil shrimp, place on broiler pan; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat, using grilling times above as a guide, turning and brushing once with marinade.

Again you can go without the rolls.

Grilled Zesty Herb Shrimp Salads

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Serving Size: 1 Serving
Calories 540 Calories from Fat 340
% DAILY VALUE
Total Fat 38g 58%
Saturated 8g 39%
Trans Fat 1g
Cholesterol 170mg 57%
Sodium 740mg 31%
Total Carbohydrate 23g 8%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 5g
Protein 27g
% Daily Value*:
Vitamin A 50% Vitamin C 35%
Calcium 25% Iron 30%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Vegetable; 3 Very Lean Meat; 7 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.