General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #1  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Default Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Discussion - Spoilers!!!!

Warning - If you haven't finished reading Harry Potters and the Deathly Hallows - Do not scroll down!!! There may be details that you haven't read that will spoil the book for you......

See question below.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

What did you all think of the new book? I enjoyed reading more about Dumbledore. I wasn't really expecting to get much that much backstory about him. It was a huge relief that Harry Ron and Hermoine all survived. I felt like Snape was a good guy all along, so I wasn't surprised that he was.

I was glad to see Ron and Hermoine branch out on their own when they found the basilisk. In previous books, Ron has been so non-confrontational that I wondered if that also meant that he would be brave enough to assist in the quest.

One thing I didn't really understand is how Neville ended up with the Gryffindor sword during the battle of Hogwarts. I thought we last saw it with Griphook. How did Neville get it?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Thumbs up

I can only assume that somehow bellatrix or the malfoys got the sword back from griphook?

Overall fab book. I'm glad that each of the three 'got a go' at destroying a horcrux. As said before - disappointed that it was so cliche in that harry and ginny got together and hermione and ron got together.

Still slightly confused over the whole wand thing and when it does/doesn't become the new owners rightfully - think I'm going to have to re-read!
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

I just finished - I read with nothing but short breaks to sleep and eat. I think it was definitely the best of all the books.

Someone in the other thread said they thought the epilogue was a bit cliche and I agree with that statement... but I do think it was a nice way to end up the series.

I felt that I was missing out on a reunion scene between Harry and Ginny.

I am wondering if Neville got the sword from the Room of Requirement? They mentioned that he had become a master of it... and also it did come to Harry in his time of need. She could have let us know that bit though...
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #5  

and now that I am finally finished - I realize that I am in desperate need of a shower!!

Can't wait to hear from more people as they finish up the book.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

The epilogue may have been cliched, but I'm still glad it was written in. I wanted to know that they were happy and safe.

The whole elder wand - who was the master - was confusing to me also. I think that Draco became the master of it when he disarmed Dumbledore right before Dumbledore was killed. Although Draco never picked it up or used it, he became the master. Voldemort stole it out of Dumblebore's grave, and he erroneously assumed that Snape was the master of it since Snape had killed Dumbledore. Harry disarmed Draco later, but Draco wasn't using that wand, so I'm not sure how Harry became the master of it (or was he, I'm fuzzy on that part).

Snapes memories were so heartbreaking. I really had a lot of sympathy for his character during that chapter. On the one hand, I wish Harry would have known about Snape's protection and his love for his mother while Snape was still alive. On the other hand, it makes it more poignant that he didn't know until it was too late.

On the sword, yes, he may have gotten it from the Room of Requirement. I had forgotten that comment about Neville being the master of it.

Lizziness, go take a shower.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I think that the sword just came from the hat. Dumbledore had told Harry that it comes only to a true Griffindor in time of need or something in Book 2, right?

I had to really think and re-read to understand the line of thinking about he master of the wand. - But I think Tammy has it right on.

Wasn't it soo good?

As for the Epilogue, I wanted to know what Harry did for a living !!
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I just finished it. It seems that a lot of people were right about the horcrux theory and Harry holding a part of Voldemort's soul.

I was also one of the believers in Snape. So to me that wasn't much of a surprise.

I also wonder how Neville got the sword. I mean it had to be the real one to get rid of the horcrux but how did he get it.

I thought that the book was a real heart string puller. I could not believe that she killed Hedwig. I actually thought out loud "that b#$%^ killed Hedwig." My DH looked at me like I was crazy. I know that JK said there would be a bloodbath but I never expected her to kill hedwig and no I don't think she is really a b-word but it totally took me by surprise. So many died it was so sad.

Overall, I'm still absorbing the whole book. I was surprised though that she left the series so open. I mean one of JK's biggest things wasn't leaving the story open so someone could continue it. The epilogue makes it totally possible to continue.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxnlula View Post
I think that the sword just came from the hat. Dumbledore had told Harry that it comes only to a true Griffindor in time of need or something in Book 2, right?

As for the Epilogue, I wanted to know what Harry did for a living !!
Yes, that's true, it came to Harry while he was in the chamber of secrets, didn't it.

I also wanted to know what Harry did for a living. Did he become an Auror or not? That's what I envisioned him doing. And what about Hermoine? She is so darn smart, I wanted to know what she did also.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl77 View Post
Overall, I'm still absorbing the whole book. I was surprised though that she left the series so open. I mean one of JK's biggest things wasn't leaving the story open so someone could continue it. The epilogue makes it totally possible to continue.
I thought so too. Over and over I heard that she wanted to leave it so that no one could continue it, but it seemed to be left open to me.

Also, we just saw the OOTP movie last week. Did I miss it or did it show Snape's Worst Memory where Snape called Lily a Mudblood?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #11  

I never thought of that. I think I was so excited that I read over it too quickly but it does say that he pulls it out of the depths of the hat. Boy, do I feel silly.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #12  

The movie only showed the part with James, it doesn't show the part where Lily came to his defense.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #13  

Yay - I am clean now.

I must have missed him pull the sword from the hat too. oops.

I agree it feels like it's still open to a lot of things. But the story of Harry vs. Voldemort feels very much closed to me. The epilogue was a bit cliche feeling but it was needed and it was done well. I just want to know more about Harry's life with Ginny... or what happened to Luna, George, and some of the other characters.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I was enthralled from the beginning. I was also shocked that Hedwig died. I do wonder what the trio "are" doing for a living. I also think that Harry would've made a good Auror, but I wonder if the Ministry would see a need to reinstate that department with Voldemort and the Death Eaters gone. I mean, there would always probably be a threat of evil, but such a small one that Aurors were in the same tier as Arthur Weasley as far as Ministry importance goes. Then again, maybe the Ministry bestowed the three with millions of galleons for their services to the wizarding community and they all lived as millionaires until their deaths.

I have to admit that I loved the fact that the epilogue was so cliche. It turned out how I really wanted it to with lots of Potter and Weasley mini wizards running around in a world of happiness. I like the cheesiness!

When I read the ending the first time (I read the last couple of chapters twice because there were so many twists and turns), I missed that Neville killed Nagini, so I thought the ending left that Horcrux "alive". I had to re-read it to realize Neville took care of it.

I was glad that Snape was good, but feel that his actions were mostly done begrudgingly and I didn't like that attitude. But, I guess it couldn't have been easy for him to agree to help and that would have made the story much less riveting!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

Mentioning Luna reminded me of how much I loved reading the part about how her room was decorated. With the paintings of her new found friends and the word f-r-i-e-n-d around the room. Very cute! I found her character to be so charming.