General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #1  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Default Any Karaoke Fans Here!

This is a fun thing to do, I'm not kidding. Contrary to what people think, you don't have to have a great voice.
I certainly don't! But it I have fun trying.
The thing with this is, that after awhile you don't really care how you sound, because it's all for fun. I've been to alot of places to Karaoke and people are very encouraging and supportive.
I have my own system at home, and when I've had parties, I crank it up and get my guests to sing. At first they're all shy and say no, but after a couple of drinks they get the courage and pretty soon they're out buying their own because they get hooked. Or sometimes they say, that their kids wanted one. I'm thinking, yeah right, you really wanted it! LOL
My preference of music varies from Sixites, Seventies, and Eighties and Comtemporary Christian.
It's so fun, I encourage anyone who hasn't tried it to do it, it's such a stress reliever.
At this one restaurant/bar we had gone to, it's near a place where Senior Citizens live and they go and sing and it's so cool to hear them. They do Sinatra and Bobby Darin and others from that time.
Try it!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I have to get this off my chest. It's pronounced CARRRR (with a rolling r) -AH-OH-KAY, not CARRY-OH-KEY, OK?

Oohhhh boy, I admit that I do like to karaoke once in a while, even though it's been ages since I've gone out and done it. I even bought a small home system for Christmas one year, for my kid like you said . I prefer going to the "sit in your own private booth" type of karaoke place over the bar type/public settings. You have control over the music and just pass the mics around. I really like to sing 80's metal, or 70's funk. I've been to a small restaurant on a neighbor island and when it's karaoke night, the place is packed and people dance like no one's watching. It's tons of fun.

I have a neighbor whose kid tortures us daily i want to poke my ear drums out. I mean, I know it's great fun and all, but does she really have to have the volume on high with the reverb dialed up to the max? This kid is totally tone-deaf and maybe sings 2 or 3 notes MAX. It's hilarious/annoying/painful all at the same time.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #3  
Mrs. Determined

LOL, Mele,
I have another sister who used to be married to Japenese/American guy from you guessed it, Hawaii. And he was always correcting us on that pronounciation too. So everytime he was around I would say it correctly.
I know, I try not to crack up, but sometimes do when I hear someone belting out a loud note and they're off key. I have to remember that someone might be thinking the same thing about me.
I like the idea of a more private area to sing then a whole lot of people singing. I do get pretty nervous, but after awhile I'm okay.
My neice, when she was about 12 years old would sing the theme song from the Titanic, and you know how some kids at that age sing, they're not bad. My niece was not tone def and when she would sing that song, it would make me cry. I thought she sang it better than Celine. LOL!
Your neighbors must think they're kids sing good for them to crank the volume.
My husband can't sing, but he loves to Karaoke, so when it's his turn to sing, I turn the volume down. Saves on my ears when I'm older. Hehe!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Me, DS and DH go to Karaoke club every Thurs. night. We have a blast. I sing duets with DH and one duet with DS. The crowd loves it when my son announces he is singing a son with his mom. LOL. My DH is fairly good at his songs, (esp. Purple Rain by Prince). My son sings rock songs and he is totally awesome. Our whole table always does at least one group song (like Summer Lovin). I don't think I'm a great singer by far, but since I've now gotten comfortable with singing in public, I don't think I'm too bad. At least I've never been booed. LOL.

We have a home karaoke system and us adults have just as much fun with it as any of the kids..
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #5  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I am an average singer, but I don't have the guts to sing in public. However, I am super into Playstation 2 Karaoke games! I have Karaoke Revolution Party, Country, and American Idol. As well as Singstar Pop and Rock.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #6  
Mrs. Determined

My DH, me, my sister and her boy friend just came home from a restaurant that had Karaoke. It started early around 5:30pm until 9pm. I was able to do three songs. I sang, Play that Funky Music, Magnet and Steel and Johnny Angel, for my DH. We had fun, I think we're going again next week, God willing.
I loved it!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/165/143

Height: 5"8.5

I'm a singer and I love Karaoke, but I can't say I find it relaxing cause I suffer from stagefright!! I really love getting up and having a sing, but the nerves and the waiting are torture! I've competed several times and won money, but it all got too much after awhile, all the costume buying and stuff. I'd really like to go to Karaoke regularly but I don't know anyone who'll sing with me!! My big crowd pleasing song is "Lovin' You" by Minnie Riperton. Those high notes have won me some money!
Diana the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #8  
Mrs. Determined

Diana,
Lovin' You is a hard song to sing. I think I've tried to sing, but just couldn't get that high note. How cool that you won by singing that song.
And you know about the stage fright, I feel the same way at first, but I tell myself that I'm only out to have fun as everyone else is so I feel a little bit better. To me it's all for fun, because I don't have a great voice, but I can sing in key.
I guess doing this gets me out of my comfort zone and keeps me from being self conscience about myself as well.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

DH and I sing: Lean on Me and You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma, Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf

DH: sings Purple Rain, The Dark Side, and a David Allen Coe song, plus lots of Garth Brooks songs

DS: sings Sweet Oblivion, The Other Side, and bunches of songs by Red Hot Chili Peppers

DS and I: always sing The Picture by Kidd Rock and Sheryl Crow

I sometimes sing I Feel Lucky by Trish Yearwood

At home we have lots of country and rock karaoke CD's and lots of duets that we have fun with.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #10  

FitinTime,
Yeah, it's a deceptively tricky song, I think, even without the high bits! If you want to hear me sing it (shameless plug alert) check out my Myspace page! www.myspace.com/dianapascal And if you want to sing it at karaoke but don't want to attempt the high notes, check out Olivia Newton-John's version, where she totally chickens out!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

OK ~ so I am just hanging out waiting to take nucklehead nephew to summer school...he overslept AGAIN...and I come across a new post here from DIANA so I click on the link...the LOVING YOU song...hadn't heard that one in a long time..............all I can say is.........

WOW!:br avo::cp :

A STANDING OVATION HERE!!!

MAYBE ALL YOU SINGERS SHOULD GET TOGETHER AND MAKE A 3FC RECORDING
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I stopped going to Curves because hubby's hours are so late...no sitter. But they had karaoke there for fun. I got into goofing off with it...singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"...while hula hooping! LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #13  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Diana, your voice is amazing! You're beautiful too, get out there and sing it!
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

That's what I am saying NOELLE! The American Idol try-outs in San Diego are next week...

waddayasay DIANA....cross the water?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #15  

EZMONEY and Melekalikimaka thank you so much!! Thanks for going and checking it out! That's really sweet!! It means a lot to get positivity from people, it's hard when you feel like giving up, ya know?

I tried out for Australian Idol years ago, but it's really not my bag. In the US, the winners get real exposure, and decent songs to record, but here in Australia it's not the same. The music's kinda cheesy and because we're a smaller population you just don't get the fanbase you'd get in the States. I write my own stuff, and from what I've seen so far, Australian contestants barely get any say in what happens to their own careers! Another advantage you guys have is that you've got people like Randy Jackson helping out! He's the real deal!

But I'll persevere and hopefully I'll get me a record deal the old fashioned way. I'm putting together a duo at the moment, preparing to rehearse, and we're going to find work singing contemporary R&B music - Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Usher, Mariah, etc In the meantime a 3FC compilation CD would be an awesome project!!