Old 07-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/170/140

Height: 5' 6"

Default Everythings changed! No longer committed...

Hello!
My name is Anna, I'm 16, been on this plan since last march. I was doing very well then, and have lost a total of 56 pounds, down to 170. The last three months or so have been tough for my family, so I wasn't able to follow the plan, nor check in at my local center. Lucky for me, I didn't gain a pound! Stayed right at 170.

Things finally have settled down at home, so I went back to the center. To my dismay, everything has changed.

They fired all of our old counselors. All of the women I'd been working through this with for a year are gone, except one.
A regional manager was there to greet me and talk me through the new plan. She spoke to me like a child, as though I hadn't been doing this longer than she had. When she was writing out my new plan, she originally didn't use their new graph system correctly- I had to correct it for her. Then she spent ten minutes trying to sell me a gimmicky measure plate, as though measuring cups just weren't good enough. Throughout this meeting, she tapped her annoyingly long fingernails on the desk, driving me up the wall.
She also informs me that I must make appointments for my visits from now on.
I get two boxes of caramel bars, the only bars I've ever been able to stomach, and head home in distress. Of course, I get home to find that the bars are nothing like they were before... smaller, and a pain to chew and get down. My jaw actually hurts after eating one. They don't even taste like caramel!

That was last week. I made an appointment to come back today, but my mom had to go out of town with my car, so I couldn't make it.
They couldn't get me in until next Thursday. I guess I'll just have to do without bars. My life does not mesh well with appointments. Too much going on all the time, I can barely make it to a hair appointment. And now I must schedule every visit? I loved the just walk-in-when-you-can style of LA, that was one of the selling points for me.

I'm eating the food as my plan tells me, and trying to stay on it. But I just don't have the commitment anymore. I found this forum in hopes of some support. I don't think I can keep going back to a center full of strange clawed women.
Jamboree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #2  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Don't give up Jamboree. Its about you and not the center. You can do this on your own, just use them for what you need (bars, etc.).
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Jamboree, Give the center a chance. You most likely won't see claw woman again! The manager at my center is the worst, but the regular counselors are almost all great. So give it a few more chances before you give up. Try some different bars, perhaps some of the new version of different bars will appeal to you now instead of the carmel. You never know.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #4  

My center also has changed dramatically- only 3 of the counselors of the original 7 are left- and they seem to only have 2 on site most times. The wait time is getting longer and longer.
I was afraid the old LA that I have come to love and respect is changing for the worst.
Vnova91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #5  

Perhaps I am being a tad dramatic- Its just overwhelming.
I guess I'll head back next week and give it an other shot. At this point, I'm thinking it can't get much worse. After all that dough, I can't just quit.
What are the favorite bars these days? I haven't had anything but caramel since last summer!

Interesting to hear that it isn't just my center thats changed, Vnova. I hope that isn't a running trend. Why would so many be fired/leaving?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am not doing LAWL but read your posting.I love the way you express yourself , have you thought about writing as a profession?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #7  
tzulover

S/C/G: 223 / 189 / 145

Height: 5'1

Hi Anna -- wow, congratulations on working at losing at your age!!!! I'm sorry to hear there have been so many changes at your center, and that your life is so hectic its hard to get in. I can't imagine EVERY visit has to be an app't, maybe they are just wanting to be extra careful you're "on track"???

Jam - dittos on what the others have encouraged -- hang in there!!!!

My favorite bar is the Double Chocolate. And on occasion, I warm it just a tad, put SF Cool Whip on it....and YUUMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!

laura
tzulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Anna - Welcome! I'm sorry your COD sucks. If you don't get the support you need, or claw woman gives you any more trouble, call the 800 number on your box of Lites and speak w/customer service. Or have your mom do it. You're paying for a service and you are entitled to receive one-on-one support and counseling, just like they advertise! And if the appointment thing doesn't work for you, tell them you can call that day, or if you give them an hour's notice, they should be able to fit you in most of the time. I haven't seen a COD that is busy constantly and WI only takes a few minutes.

As for the lites, I still like the caramel - the crunchy ones, not the caramel deluxe, which are supposedly like snickers. I like the chocolate coconut almond - kinda like an almond joy. I like the chocolate crunch and the fudge brownie. If you have chocolate mint available it tastes like a girl scout thin mint, except not crunchy.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #9  
tzulover

S/C/G: 223 / 189 / 145

Height: 5'1

Choc. coconut almond????? Wow - that sounds GOOD!!!! I don't have that option here......bummers!!! Fudge brownie sounds mighty good too --- say, you gonna make a trip to my area so you can bring me some???

laura
tzulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #10  

bargoo- I've never really thought about it. I've always done well in my English classes, so I guess it shows. I'm hoping to go into medicine. I've volunteered at a hospital this summer, and have really enjoyed it. Perhaps writing will be a hobby.

tzulover- Thanks! Unfortunately, no, everyone is supposed to have an appointment. Their book is full, I couldn't get my next appointment for a full week after my last. I think it's just silly.
Cool whip sounds like a delicious idea, I'll have to try it.

biz- I didn't realize there was a number to call, I'll definitely keep that in mind. And, wow, those flavors sound delicious! I hadn't heard of them. I'll see if they have them at our center next time I go.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #11  
FBD/8-18-08

Jamboree - You've come a LONG way in a short time and I just wanted to say how PROUD of you I am!!! WOW! You don't know what you have done for yourself losing the weight now, while you're young, and learning at an early age how to eat healthy and make healthy choices! I wish all of that had been available to me at your age, although I must admit I was so thin (way) back then that I got made fun of! Nope, I can't imagine it either!
Just remember, you're aren't alone in this journey and all sorts of things around you will change. BUT, they don't have to change you! Don't get down about COD, claw woman was probably grabbing at straws to find something to tell you that didn't already know and with your age... she was probably embarrassed at her inadequacy (sp?)!
As for making appointments, don't let ANYTHING or ANYONE deter you from your goal! YOU DESERVE this and I just know you are going to be one of their success stories!!! (I can't wait to see you on tv!)
Blessings,
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/194/160

Height: 5'6"

I thought you were supposed to be able to weigh in three times a week. Are you paying for this service, or are your parents helping? It might not be a bad thing to have some other people, such as your parents or other trusted adults, go with you as a united front, to insist on the services you have paid for. Nothing makes me madder than when some person asks you to change horses midstream.

I had the sad experience of having my center close down when I was less than a year into my two year program, so I can sympathize. I was told to go to a center more than half an hour away from me, which was totally inconvenient, especially when I started working full-time. I finally gave up after a few months of once-a-week weigh ins. I decided that I had the materials, I was used to the program, and I could make it work on my own. It isn't easy for me, but I have stayed relatively failthful to the program.

I do hope everything works out for you. You have done an amazing job, and have the maturity to know what others your age don't seem to--that proper nutrition and the right plan will let you lose weight sensibly and keep it off.
TracyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

I wish my center still had appointments. When I started, we had appointments to come in 2-3 times per week. Then, they got rid of them. The problem I had was that I would go in and would have to wait 45 minutes, once almost an hour, to weigh in for a "quick" appointment.

Now, I have figured out the days and the times that I need to go when it is least busy but I do miss the appointments (because, you could also pick the counselor you wanted to see too).

I do find it unusual that they can't get you in the same week and can't get you an appointment until the following week. That is way to long. I would definitely call (or your Mom call) the LAWL corporate number and complain. Then, with your Mom, go into the center at your next appointment and let them know your concerns. I'm sure you can handle it yourself. As Tracy C said, you seem to show an amazing amount of maturity. However, if you are with an adult, sometimes it makes more impact because, (sad but true), many adults might see you as still a child and be less inclined to be concerned with your complaints.

As the mother of 3 sons, the oldest your age, though the times when Mom steps in are becoming less and less (as they should be), there are still times when they need my help.

That's what parents are for...
space99s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

Jamboree

I just finished reading your post and am so inspired by your story. Your weight loss is wonderful and a huge accomplishment. Your goal is the same as mine and although I am too chicken to know my actual starting weight (I get on the scale backwards), I suspect it is somewhere close to yours.

Please don't give up. I have only just started LAWL and can imagine how upsetting returning to what you thought was "home" to find everyone and everything has changed. Hang in there, this board is phenomenal and full of plenty of people who have succeeeded on LAWL and can offer you advice if you need it and support. Good for you for watching out for yourself and although she shouldn't have made the mistake, kudo's for catching it.

Keep up the good work.
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #15  
Marleymom

S/C/G: 176/156/120

Height: 5'1"

I agree! You have come TOO far to let anyone get in your way. I have learned about the LUNA bars through this site. They are great and they only cost 97 cents at Wal-Mart and you can sub.them for LA Lites. I teach high school (11th and 12th grade) and I am very impressed with you and your goal-setting! YOU are the paying customer. Don't forget that!
Marleymom is offline   Reply With Quote